• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Graphite rod joint lubrication

Thought I`d add a wee tip to this thread. Forget all the wax and lubricants and the likes. Carry a lead pencil in your tackle bag. Before setting the rod up give a few runs down the male joint with the pencil lead and then rub it around the joint with the finger. All the lubricant you will ever need.
2B or not 2B?

Thought I`d add a wee tip to this thread. Forget all the wax and lubricants and the likes. Carry a lead pencil in your tackle bag. Before setting the rod up give a few runs down the male joint with the pencil lead and then rub it around the joint with the finger. All the lubricant you will ever need.
I’ll try that with the wife

Tips for a loose spigot I need
Correct fix, assuming a tapered joint, is to simply trim 2-3mm off of the female end, try it and if need be another 2-3mm. Obviously any re-inforcing thread would need to come off and then be replaced.

Other option is to smear the male with bonda seal. Can be done in hand just keep the rod turning starts to go off (depending on temp) in 5-10 mins. It can then be gently rubbed down using wet and dry, 1000 gauge. You can try the old wives tales of candlewax, grease, beeswax etc, they are temporary fixes, maybe last a couple of sesssions if that. The armchair experts of course know better.

Bonda seal may well be available from Russ on here (blackdog)

Last edited:

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back