• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

West Coast durness and the west coast

saintsman

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi everyone, travelling to durness and doing the west coast in early july and wondered if anyone had any good places i could try to sea fish from the beach /rocks. looking for mackerel and pollock and would love to try and catch my first bass.any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thank you

hi, we have a small motorhome ,to which we are complete novices,and doing durness and back down the west coast with a few stopovers booked,and then over to skye.

Ah, that would be what I call the north west coast.
Never fished up there, sea fishing anyway.
If you get down to the south west Luce bay, portpatrick, mull of Galloway, isle of whithorn would provide what you are looking for.

Hope you find the info useful, I put this on another forum. Apologies but don’t know what Durness or surrounding area is like for fishing.

On the road to Lochinver from Ullapool, there is a good mark for pollack at Rhue lighthouse which is approximately 4–miles out of Ullapool heading north, plenty of car parking and an easy walk to the lighthouse and fishing areas.

Slightly further on there is Ardmair which has a long parking area along the shore, it looks fishy but I don’t know anyone that rates the area for fishing. The rocks on the left as you look out to sea look inviting but I’ve never tried to access.

On arriving at Lochinver, take the single-track road to Clachtoll and you can then turn left approximately 1-mile further on to access Achmelvich.

Achmelvich and Clachtoll beaches are generally very busy during the Summer months unless fishing in the late evening or early morning but small coalfish and pollack can be caught off the rocks.

Stoer beach is just past Clachtoll heading towards Drumbeg can be productive on a rising tide and is safe to fish and easily accessible. Park the car at the cemetery and cross the road, access the machair via the gate and it’s about 100yds to the beach, rocky marks which will then be on your right can be explored with a spinning or a bass rod.

The water looks extremely fishy around Stoer lighthouse but is very dangerous. If you park at the lighthouse and walk to the edge of the cliffs, there is a bay to your left about 0.5mile from the car park that holds pollack and coalfish, but do be careful and pick your days, this area is more for spinning.

An area known as Balchladich which is near Stoer lighthouse has rocks for spinning on your left as you look at sea from the beach.

The beach at Culkein Stoer is very rocky and shallow and beachcasting or spinning will facilitate for a major loss of tackle here, it is also not very productive. Car parking can be difficult but is available if you speak to the locals. If you walk along the track keeping the sea on your right past the pier and the ruined building on your left, then leave the beach/headland and go up hill, you’ll find rocky outcrops as you head to the ‘Old Man of Stoer’ which again hold pollock and coalfish.

Clashnessie, on the road to Drumbeg which is easily accessed, park in the parking bay but this is also a bus turning point, therefore park in the area closest to the village. If you walk with the beach/sea on your left you will come across rocks that provide for pollock and coalfish.

You won’t find many people beachcasting in this area as the locals that fish will spin, most of the good marks are further north and I don’t have much info on them. Just below Kylesku bridge can be enjoyable if the tide is right.

I have walked and fished the entire highland coast, the section you are visiting is definitely the most beautiful, but sadly also pretty much devoid of decent fishing. That said it’s worth spinning from a few spots and very enjoyable if travelling light.
I look forward to being proved wrong, either way enjoy the trip and go to Neist Point on Skye.

If you are game for a hike and a camp for a night or two.... Sandwood bay would be my choice... Its not for the faint hearted though... Its a bloody good walk😂
But it's a fantastic beach... Beautiful isn't a strong enough description....
You'll catch bass from the shore there... And sea trout....
Sandwood Loch is also worth a fish and a good camp spot before you head down the dunes to the beach.. 👍

Thank you very much for the reply and will take a look at the end of the month.cheers

I have walked and fished the entire highland coast, the section you are visiting is definitely the most beautiful, but sadly also pretty much devoid of decent fishing. That said it’s worth spinning from a few spots and very enjoyable if travelling light.
I look forward to being proved wrong, either way enjoy the trip and go to Neist Point on Skye.
Thank you for your reply.Iwill only be fishing light for catch and return and i will try Neist Point. Cheers

Hope you find the info useful, I put this on another forum. Apologies but don’t know what Durness or surrounding area is like for fishing.

On the road to Lochinver from Ullapool, there is a good mark for pollack at Rhue lighthouse which is approximately 4–miles out of Ullapool heading north, plenty of car parking and an easy walk to the lighthouse and fishing areas.

Slightly further on there is Ardmair which has a long parking area along the shore, it looks fishy but I don’t know anyone that rates the area for fishing. The rocks on the left as you look out to sea look inviting but I’ve never tried to access.

On arriving at Lochinver, take the single-track road to Clachtoll and you can then turn left approximately 1-mile further on to access Achmelvich.

Achmelvich and Clachtoll beaches are generally very busy during the Summer months unless fishing in the late evening or early morning but small coalfish and pollack can be caught off the rocks.

Stoer beach is just past Clachtoll heading towards Drumbeg can be productive on a rising tide and is safe to fish and easily accessible. Park the car at the cemetery and cross the road, access the machair via the gate and it’s about 100yds to the beach, rocky marks which will then be on your right can be explored with a spinning or a bass rod.

The water looks extremely fishy around Stoer lighthouse but is very dangerous. If you park at the lighthouse and walk to the edge of the cliffs, there is a bay to your left about 0.5mile from the car park that holds pollack and coalfish, but do be careful and pick your days, this area is more for spinning.

An area known as Balchladich which is near Stoer lighthouse has rocks for spinning on your left as you look at sea from the beach.

The beach at Culkein Stoer is very rocky and shallow and beachcasting or spinning will facilitate for a major loss of tackle here, it is also not very productive. Car parking can be difficult but is available if you speak to the locals. If you walk along the track keeping the sea on your right past the pier and the ruined building on your left, then leave the beach/headland and go up hill, you’ll find rocky outcrops as you head to the ‘Old Man of Stoer’ which again hold pollock and coalfish.

Clashnessie, on the road to Drumbeg which is easily accessed, park in the parking bay but this is also a bus turning point, therefore park in the area closest to the village. If you walk with the beach/sea on your left you will come across rocks that provide for pollock and coalfish.

You won’t find many people beachcasting in this area as the locals that fish will spin, most of the good marks are further north and I don’t have much info on them. Just below Kylesku bridge can be enjoyable if the tide is right.

Hi, all i can say is WOW. Thank you for going to so much trouble to send a reply like that.You have been more than helpful and i have printed off what you have said.We are going at the end of the month so hopefully mackerel ,pollock and flatties will be around.Thanks again Steve

Every credit as that's some feat WW👍

Just noticed this .
We stayed at Skerray a few years ago, it is a bit off the beaten track but the fishing there was very good for big flatties . Drive down the only road toward the harbour and park where it bends left as it reaches the shore.
The coast is quite rocky but there are lots of places to fish from in relative comfort . Walk to your right from the parking spot , and chose your mark . You are fishing into a Wide channel between the coast and Coomb Island . It is rock onto sand .
Using mackerel strip and squid I must have had about 30 flatties in a couple of hours , nothing small , all good plate sized .
IMG_2180.jpeg

I did try the harbour wall but it was pants
There are also marks further along the coast at Bettyhill , into the mouth of the river Naver . The locals spin for Salmon and sea Trout , no idea if you would be welcome as I think it is a club stretch but tickets sre available in the post office in the village nearby.

A lot of the coast is never fished as it is usually quite a hike to any mark . I fished Skerray lots and always caught.
Good luck !

X Marks the spot.

IMG_2181.jpeg

Dave

Last edited:
It's a cracking part of the world, sadly now spoiled somewhat by the NC500 mob. I've been going up there for game fishing for over 40 years. My bosses have a place up there. Sandwood loch is a must do if you like a trek. I've camped there many times. The Kyle of Tongue is well known for bass, I've had them from Strathan to Strathy Bay. Well, you've got to do something on a Sunday😉

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back