• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Dolphins, seagulls and pout in odd places!

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Sticking with the "getting back into it" theme, a day out on Swanage Pier was planned. Weather was ok, tides were ok, and the drive down was ok.

Parked my van on the pier, which is a little more expensive than the car park, but the money goes straight to the pier restoration, so a worthy cause. Pier staff as ever, were very welcoming and cheerful. I was advised that the Dark Lord (Haddock) was already there.

As usual, a float rod was set up and the float sent out for a lovely day bobbing around with the tide, and catching zero fish!

Small hook species rigs with bits of rag dropped straight down. First drop gave a nice corkwing wrasse. Had around 8 or so over the day.
20240724_201410.jpg
Second drop gave a small black bream. The bream when first lifted had a sort of pink glow about them and they were in super condition. Had lots of these bait robbers with double shots as well.
20240725_134809.jpg
Third drop was a pout. The picture however, shows a pout in an odd place. Haddock had caught a very good size gar and when cut up for bait, it had this in its stomach. It seems far too big to have got down that long beak that they have, but there it was inside!
20240724_160402.jpg
Next up for me was a tompot. One of my favourites and the first of 4 all good sizes and full of character.

20240724_110409.jpg
I was baiting up and heard heard some strange noises, l looked over the pier and saw a big fin, just a grey fin sticking out of the water you can guess my initial thought! It was then joined by another, and up they came, two big dolphins and a small one. The noise was them blowing clear through their blow holes. They were very playful, jumping clear of the water in amongst a sail boat, a charter boat and a jet ski. They hung around for quite a long time. Hard to get decent pictures on my phone, but here are a couple.
20240724_190557.jpg
20240724_191431.jpg
I tried closer to the pier entrance for a shanny, but could only find wrasse including a ballan.
20240725_104844.jpg
Back to the end of the pier and Haddock had one of those big, young seagulls on his float line. It was making so much noise and instantly drew a crowd! He wound it in and I hand balled it up onto the pier. It was not happy and was letting us know it. Another guy put a rag over its head and it shut up and stayed pretty still while l tried to untangle it. It was not going too well so Haddock said cut the line. I bit the line through in a few places, without thinking about its beak near my face and the lines then pulled clear as it was tangled, not hooked. A lady wanted a picture, so the guy with the rag picked it up and I took the rag off its head. It went berserk, flapping and screaming at us. He chucked it over the side and as it fell, it spread its wings and glided away whilst still giving us loads of abuse. Well that was fun!

Back to the fishing and pleased to land a baillons wrasse. Swanage is the place to get these harder to find wrasse.
20240724_201319.jpg
A good day out with a six species session and a new one for my hunts. As it neared low tide, the fishing just died. That was my cue to pack up and come home. Haddock was fishing a match on the pier in the evening. That is some going for a man of his years.

Need to start picking off some of the bigger stuff now. A decent hound would be good.

Good luck if you are out.

Attachments

• 20240724_191431.jpg
    20240724_191431.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 6
Fantastic report Goatee, some very nice fish too. Lovely pics as well mate. Keep them coming.. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Sticking with the "getting back into it" theme, a day out on Swanage Pier was planned. Weather was ok, tides were ok, and the drive down was ok.

Parked my van on the pier, which is a little more expensive than the car park, but the money goes straight to the pier restoration, so a worthy cause. Pier staff as ever, were very welcoming and cheerful. I was advised that the Dark Lord (Haddock) was already there.

As usual, a float rod was set up and the float sent out for a lovely day bobbing around with the tide, and catching zero fish!

Small hook species rigs with bits of rag dropped straight down. First drop gave a nice corkwing wrasse. Had around 8 or so over the day.
View attachment 67747
Second drop gave a small black bream. The bream when first lifted had a sort of pink glow about them and they were in super condition. Had lots of these bait robbers with double shots as well.
View attachment 67748
Third drop was a pout. The picture however, shows a pout in an odd place. Haddock had caught a very good size gar and when cut up for bait, it had this in its stomach. It seems far too big to have got down that long beak that they have, but there it was inside!
View attachment 67749
Next up for me was a tompot. One of my favourites and the first of 4 all good sizes and full of character.

View attachment 67750
I was baiting up and heard heard some strange noises, l looked over the pier and saw a big fin, just a grey fin sticking out of the water you can guess my initial thought! It was then joined by another, and up they came, two big dolphins and a small one. The noise was them blowing clear through their blow holes. They were very playful, jumping clear of the water in amongst a sail boat, a charter boat and a jet ski. They hung around for quite a long time. Hard to get decent pictures on my phone, but here are a couple.
View attachment 67753
View attachment 67751
I tried closer to the pier entrance for a shanny, but could only find wrasse including a ballan.
View attachment 67754
Back to the end of the pier and Haddock had one of those big, young seagulls on his float line. It was making so much noise and instantly drew a crowd! He wound it in and I hand balled it up onto the pier. It was not happy and was letting us know it. Another guy put a rag over its head and it shut up and stayed pretty still while l tried to untangle it. It was not going too well so Haddock said cut the line. I bit the line through in a few places, without thinking about its beak near my face and the lines then pulled clear as it was tangled, not hooked. A lady wanted a picture, so the guy with the rag picked it up and I took the rag off its head. It went berserk, flapping and screaming at us. He chucked it over the side and as it fell, it spread its wings and glided away whilst still giving us loads of abuse. Well that was fun!

Back to the fishing and pleased to land a baillons wrasse. Swanage is the place to get these harder to find wrasse.
View attachment 67755
A good day out with a six species session and a new one for my hunts. As it neared low tide, the fishing just died. That was my cue to pack up and come home. Haddock was fishing a match on the pier in the evening. That is some going for a man of his years.

Need to start picking off some of the bigger stuff now. A decent hound would be good.

Good luck if you are out.
That baillons is a corkwing. This is a baillons.

IMG_7152.png

Your picture is indeed a baillons, with nice red fins. I usually have a few a year like that. To quote others.
These can be difficult fish to identify, especially in comparison to corkwings. They have a similarly shaped head and body, even the patterning on the flanks bears a resemblance, including the same black spot at the base of the tail. The best way to ID them is to locate the black spot, three quarters along the dorsal fin. The blue stripes along the cheeks are far less in number on the baillons (as you can see in mine and yours). On the males the colours are more pronounced, having a very orange hue in the fins and scales.
I am happy its a baillons.
Others may comment.
Hope you enjoyed the report otherwise.
My corkwing.
20240728_205616.jpg

My baillons.
20240728_205646.jpg

Attachments

• 20240728_205616.jpg
    20240728_205616.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240728_205646.jpg
    20240728_205646.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 1
I saw this fish and am quite happy to identify it as a Baillon's Wrasse.

If you have seen more than a couple of Baillon's Wrasse you will spot them as they come out of the water, the overall pattern is quite distinctive. It is quite different to the female Corkwing

Juveniles of many species do not have the colouration of breeding adults.

If you have one of the best books on identification by Dr Peter Henderson you will see it all explained on pp 216, 217

"The dark spots on the dorsal fin are diagnostic in juveniles, in adults the red colouration of the fins is unmistakable"

His photos don't have even a tinge of red on them.

@concrete won't see this because he blocked me; for being right as it happens, like in this case

Cheers. Swanage is my favourite pier to fish. Not the most productive pier for me, but it is just a beautiful place to be.
I told the Welsh bloke who fished next to me yesterday to go there. He’s doing three different species hunts. He was well chuffed getting that little stinger and I was pleased too, as a few hours earlier I’d told him it was perfect stingray conditions. Mind you, they’re usually a little bigger than the one he caught, but he didn’t care. I’ve never seen a stingray caught that was so small.

Another Fabulous report Goatee! Excellent pics as usual too, especially the Dolphins! Nice one! 🎣🎣👍👍
Thanks mate. Getting the dolphin pictures was, point the camera where they might be, look where they might be and push the button when they jumped. l had to take a lot and hope. I was pleased to get a few. I was also going to the other side of the pier to let people know, so they did not miss out. A few of them came and found me after, to say thanks it made their day, so that made me feel good too!

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back