• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Currently cat fishing

Love a bit of moggie fishing myself, hardest fighting fish I've caught. Not been for a few years now. Some crackers here 😍

So with the boy back down for the summer, his goal remained catching that elusive catfish that thwarted him last summer. In fact he hasn’t stopped talking about that loss ever since! So with a night booked on main lake at Hawkhurst booked, a few kilos of shellfish boilies rolled up and fresh size 4 barbless hook rigs tied to 30lb N-Trap tied, we headed off to the lake.

The boy was out and running, bucket in hand, before the car had even stopped rolling, to secure the swim of his last battle - catfish corner! That done, we unloaded the car and got the bivvies up. We were about 90mins early, as we couldn’t cast out until 7pm, so I took that time to make sure everything was good to go.

All our rods were fished in a similar manner, 12mm shellfish bottom baits with 7 bait stringers over a kilo of boilies spread liberally around the margins of an island in front of us. Then we settled in to await events.

The boys rod was the first to go, slowly and purposefully trickling off, but the strike met with thin air! Still, it was a good sign, especially when the recast soon ramped off with a nice 13lb common to get him off the markIMG_0577.jpegswiftly followed by another carp, weighing 20lb exactly IMG_0580.jpeghe then started mocking me with the 2-0 chant, so i thought it best if I got on the score sheet, which I did, going 15lb IMG_0584.jpegwith that, all went a bit quiet, so we got our heads down for a kip.

After a whole 20min sleep I was awoken by a screamer, which on connecting, proceeded to flat rod me and strip 50yrds in one run. A 45min fight later (with me calling to a comatose son all the while - in vain!) saw me slip the net under a 48lb catfish IMG_0589.jpegit is a rough weight as I couldn’t quite lift the whole thing off the ground, but it was big enough to have the boy wishing he’d caught it! - so was I as it happens!

I got the rod back out and got back into bed - the recast rod then ripped off! A carp this time, weighing 21lb IMG_0616.jpegthe boy then had a 19lb common soon after thatIMG_0626.jpegwe crawled back into our respective doss bags to try and get some sleep when my rod rattled off, but I tried bullying it in and a deserved hook pull was the result!

I eventually got back to sleep, only for the recast rod to go again, producing a 20lb on the nose carp just as the sun rose IMG_0635.jpegI now needed some sleep, so flicked it back out and crashed out. Until about 0730, when I found myself confusedly staring at my motionless rods while hearing a one toner screaming off, the boy soon called me - it was his rod tearing off! He played his fish to the net, saying it felt strange, when a catfish popped up at our feet! I was so excited for him I nearly knocked it off with the landing net! Still, it hit the mesh 2nd time of asking and his catfish quest was finally over! All 10lb of it! IMG_0643.jpegNot the monster, but it’s a good one to start with!

Now all I’ve got to do is pack up and drag my exhausted self home…

Better bring the boy with me too I suppose!

Attachments

• IMG_0577.jpeg
    IMG_0577.jpeg
    812.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0637.jpeg
    IMG_0637.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Fabulous report and photos Ouchy. Good session, and glad your lad got his target fish. 🎣🎣👍👍

Stop press… he got two!

Broke his PB cat twice on two casts, hooking and landing a 15lb cat as I was packing away around him View attachment 68080so he waits all year for a cat and two come along at once!

Now he wants a bass…
Good work Ouchy and Son. 👍🏻
Bet he gets a Bass before Minstrel does.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back