• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Cloud or moon?

Only fish now in autumn/ winter for codling given favourable conditions sea state etc prefer night tides but don’t mid grey overcast days if a sea running and good location. Lucky on rock edges don’t see folks apart from other anglers and not many of them as a rule.

Only fish now in autumn/ winter for codling given favourable conditions sea state etc prefer night tides but don’t mid grey overcast days if a sea running and good location. Lucky on rock edges don’t see folks apart from other anglers and not many of them as a rule.
Yep sea pigs aren’t too fussy!

Over cast for me especially on bass
You saying that, and others referring to no headlamps etc when fishing for Bass. I saw the biggest shoal of Bass I’d ever seen in the pool of light cast onto the water by a pier floodlight once, at least a third of them were close to doubles!
I’ve caught plenty of Bass too with a backdrop of promenade lights etc, so not sure whether a dark night is that beneficial?? Who knows 🤷

Way back when we used to use a light cluster from the cargo ship, it brings in the small bait fish with large barracuda underneath them. good sport when caught some, watch out for the teeth though. fiesty things so be careful :unsure:

You saying that, and others referring to no headlamps etc when fishing for Bass. I saw the biggest shoal of Bass I’d ever seen in the pool of light cast onto the water by a pier floodlight once, at least a third of them were close to doubles!
I’ve caught plenty of Bass too with a backdrop of promenade lights etc, so not sure whether a dark night is that beneficial?? Who knows 🤷
Ah. My theory is that if it’s a regular constant light they get used to it and indeed probably come to see it as an indication of food ie prawns, squid, small fish attracted by the light.
In fact people fish by the bridge lights here for bass.
Backdrop lights that are on every night, again it just seems normal to them.

However… on a dark beach unexpected bright light will spook them in my opinion as it’s something out of the ordinary.

As far as the moon goes, I think it makes them more cautious, or perhaps it makes their prey more cautious, especially in shallow water.
I have caught bass under a bright moon but far fewer than on dark nights.

Ah. My theory is that if it’s a regular constant light they get used to it and indeed probably come to see it as an indication of food ie prawns, squid, small fish attracted by the light.
In fact people fish by the bridge lights here for bass.
Backdrop lights that are on every night, again it just seems normal to them.

However… on a dark beach unexpected bright light will spook them in my opinion as it’s something out of the ordinary.

As far as the moon goes, I think it makes them more cautious, or perhaps it makes their prey more cautious, especially in shallow water.
I have caught bass under a bright moon but far fewer than on dark nights.
This mirrors my experience with night fishing for sea trout in urban areas where there is light pollution.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back