• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Chest Waders?

AndyA

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Does anyone have any recommendations for some decent chest waders that won't break the bank? Or any pointers as to what to avoid?

Thanks

I can only recommend Viking heavy duty pvc for longevity and hard wearing, above and beyond all others. They are like the Ocean of old. SJFawcetts sell them. Breathable - it's an absolute minefield! Vision seem about as good as any mid range. Orvis did have great warranty... Forget Simms unless you get sponsored by them. I have a set of Taimen and they have been good so far...but honestly they are a gamble in my professional opinion

I’ve always seen chest waders as a two year investment at best if they get used a fair bit.

Have spent more, have spent less and they all seem to split and leak after a couple of years, usually around the boot so no fixing them.

That said… still on a pair of Vass pvc chesties that cost me something like £48 quite a few years ago and they still haven’t split or leaked.

Not sure of the actual model, sorry, but they’re fairly basic, especially where the boot joins the wader, but they’ve lasted way beyond expectations.
Which isn’t to say another pair in the same line would last as long, of course.

Thank you both. (y)

I popped into my local tackle shop yesterday and asked about waders. They had 2 different types of Daiwa in stock, neither of them my size though. One set (pair?) was full neoprene, they seemed quite bulky. The other pair a combination of neoprene for the legs and nylon or similar further up.

They recommended full neoprene for cold weather fishing and that sounds sensible, in reality though I probably won't be out fishing as often as other folks might do. I'm leaning more towards something a bit less bulky though. :unsure:

Thank you both. (y)

I popped into my local tackle shop yesterday and asked about waders. They had 2 different types of Daiwa in stock, neither of them my size though. One set (pair?) was full neoprene, they seemed quite bulky. The other pair a combination of neoprene for the legs and nylon or similar further up.

They recommended full neoprene for cold weather fishing and that sounds sensible, in reality though I probably won't be out fishing as often as other folks might do. I'm leaning more towards something a bit less bulky though. :unsure:
Will you actually be wading in the cold weather?
Personally I prefer neoprene wellies and waterproof salopettes (?) for winter beach fishing, much more comfy and easier to manoeuvre, warm too.

I can't advise on waders for sea fishing, but I wear normal waders a lot on the river, (even in the winter up here in the hills) and here's my take on neoprene. Heavy, bulky, and unnecessary. Ordinary waders work fine in cold water, either with trousers and thermals underneath, or you could try wearing fleece trousers - the type worn under a drysuit. I wear Vision waders and am on my 4th season with them - had to fix 1 small leak, but otherwise they're still good.

Will you actually be wading in the cold weather?
Personally I prefer neoprene wellies and waterproof salopettes (?) for winter beach fishing, much more comfy and easier to manoeuvre, warm too.

Will I actually be wading in cold weather? That's a very good question and being realistic, most likely not :unsure:

I was over at Fraisthorpe beach earlier in the week, trying to do some lure fishing (it was really a dog walk, but I'd taken the rod with me). I really wished I'd have been wearing waders then.

So, I think a pair of waders would be great for when I'm lure fishing, that's unlikely to be in the colder winter months, so I probably won't be needing full neoprene. Part neoprene, possibly? PVC might fit the bill too.

I think I've narrowed it down to either the Vass 700E pvc, or the Daiwa Hybrid waders (although my size appears to be sold out).

20240925_154744.jpg

I'm about 8 years into my vass pvc chesties. Still going strong

Will I actually be wading in cold weather? That's a very good question and being realistic, most likely not :unsure:

I was over at Fraisthorpe beach earlier in the week, trying to do some lure fishing (it was really a dog walk, but I'd taken the rod with me). I really wished I'd have been wearing waders then.

So, I think a pair of waders would be great for when I'm lure fishing, that's unlikely to be in the colder winter months, so I probably won't be needing full neoprene. Part neoprene, possibly? PVC might fit the bill too.

I think I've narrowed it down to either the Vass 700E pvc, or the Daiwa Hybrid waders (although my size appears to be sold out).

View attachment 71371
From what I hear, neoprene chesties can be horribly hot in summer, especially if there is a decent stroll to the mark. Flappy is right in that water is cold all through the year but I use my Vass pvc boot foot chest waders when summer fishing in The Wash (literally). We do not move for about 2.5 hours as we let the tide run in past us to hw and back out again. I do feel the cold and sometimes wear long johns and shorts rather than jeans as I learnt the first time that wet jeans are bloody cold!

From what I hear, neoprene chesties can be horribly hot in summer, especially if there is a decent stroll to the mark. Flappy is right in that water is cold all through the year but I use my Vass pvc boot foot chest waders when summer fishing in The Wash (literally). We do not move for about 2.5 hours as we let the tide run in past us to hw and back out again. I do feel the cold and sometimes wear long johns and shorts rather than jeans as I learnt the first time that wet jeans are bloody cold!
I suppose that's the plus point of pvc waders, you have the option of being able to add or subtract layers of clothing, more so than if you're wearing neoprene?

I suppose that's the plus point of pvc waders, you have the option of being able to add or subtract layers of clothing, more so than if you're wearing neoprene?
I would guess so Andy, never had neoprene. The first time I fished The Wash the waves were lapping over the top and I was soaked. My jeans were sooooo cold…….never again. The Vass are a bit stiff to begin with and the boots needed a few sessions to get bedded in but became comfy.

I don’t have too many issues with neoprene but they are of course heavier and yes, somewhat hotter though I wouldn’t say (for me) exceptionally so.

Unless I’m fishing in the depths of winter - and don’t do much wading that time of year - I find the pvc are fine.

I see others have said the Vass pvc were good for them too, long lasting, so one to consider maybe?

As I’ve said already, I consider waders a disposable commodity - all the ones I’ve had before the Vass have lasted around two years with regular use. Okay I haven’t spent a fortune on pairs but that’s across a range of brands between about £40-100, none stood out in terms of longevity.

In the unlikely event you’re a size 7, I have a brand new pair of Ocean neoprene you could have for £20 and postage lol.
I’m size 8 and although the boot looks big enough, I just couldn’t get my foot past the ankle part.
Or I probably could have but I wouldn’t have got them off again!
They’d probably only suit a skinny bugger or a woman, lol.

I'm going to need a size 10, but that was a very kind offer. Thank you (y)
No worries, it was a long shot but I can’t seem to give them away lol.
They’re meant to be size 8 but they were just generally too tight for me around the ankle area.

I think realistically unless it was a very small bloke, they’d be better suited for a woman who isn’t too short 😂

This is not a recommend, as I've not even used my waders once yet, but I bought some Portwest safety chest waders. (The boots happen to be safety boots.) Made of a strong PVC/Nitrile blend apparently !
As I'm still feeling my way through this fishing thing, I didn't want to fork-out for expensive waders from the outset, but wanted to have some waders in the mix for some shallow-beach surf fishing with, perhaps, lighter lure rods. The Portwests cost me just a tad over £32 as I recall.
No idea how resilient they might prove to be, but thought I'd mention anyway !

Last edited:

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back