• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

century spigots

nearly70ty

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
I know this has been asked before bot I cant find it. A friend of mine has two graphene century super matches with tight spigots. he's phoned century and they told him to use PTFE spray and work it with no success. He's also varnished the bottom of the spigot, he's even move them into his bedroom to keep them dry. what can he do.

I know this has been asked before bot I cant find it. A friend of mine has two graphene century super matches with tight spigots. he's phoned century and they told him to use PTFE spray and work it with no success. He's also varnished the bottom of the spigot, he's even move them into his bedroom to keep them dry. what can he do.
It will evoke screams but I’m seriously considering sanding my TTSM spigot because it’s starting to drive me nuts.

I know that’s not best practice but it’s way oversize and I essentially have a rod I can’t use as it is.

Yep I'm screaming, I just finished adviced my friend not to do just that, if it is moisture ingress into the spigot and it shrinks back, you'll have spigot that fit's like waving a woodbine around in the Albert Hall 😂

It will evoke screams but I’m seriously considering sanding my TTSM spigot because it’s starting to drive me nuts.

I know that’s not best practice but it’s way oversize and I essentially have a rod I can’t use as it is.
Get it done lad and get a few thou off of the bugger

Yep I'm screaming, I just finished adviced my friend not to do just that, if it is moisture ingress into the spigot and it shrinks back, you'll have spigot that fit's like waving a woodbine around in the Albert Hall 😂
Allegedly Doris down the road was a bit like that…..

How bad is it ?
One of my Kompressor lite's, but all 3 are much the same, I've never seen it as a major issue.

Attachments

• PA020001.JPG
    PA020001.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 6
  • PA020002.JPG
    PA020002.JPG
    360.1 KB · Views: 6
It’s worse when warmer but it’s bad in any weather. Needs serious force to get it in any meaningful depth then it won’t come apart again.

Absolute worst case I could put wax on it if it needed ‘building back up’ again.

Yes I know that’s not best practice either but I did similar with another rod and it’s still going fine nearly 30 years later.
But I don’t recall that rod being anywhere near as bad as this one.

It’s not simply ‘oh it’s a bit tight and awkward’ it’s ’bloody thing just won’t fit’

And if I do get it in enough to fish with, or at home, it needs serious grunting and sweating and a red face, rubber gloves and finally a bag of ice to get it apart again.
Aside from physically not really being up to that these days, life is just too bloody short to waste so much time and effort on such a simple tool.

Yes we’re still talking about fishing rods…

I assume he's tried both tips to each butt & cleaned out the female side ?
Past that all I can suggest is sit down & spend an hour twisting the joint back & forth to try & bed them together, wiping both sides clean every few minutes

It’s worse when warmer but it’s bad in any weather. Needs serious force to get it in any meaningful depth then it won’t come apart again.

Absolute worst case I could put wax on it if it needed ‘building back up’ again.

Yes I know that’s not best practice either but I did similar with another rod and it’s still going fine nearly 30 years later.
But I don’t recall that rod being anywhere near as bad as this one.

It’s not simply ‘oh it’s a bit tight and awkward’ it’s ’bloody thing just won’t fit’

And if I do get it in enough to fish with, or at home, it needs serious grunting and sweating and a red face, rubber gloves and finally a bag of ice to get it apart again.
Aside from physically not really being up to that these days, life is just too bloody short to waste so much time and effort on such a simple tool.

Yes we’re still talking about fishing rods…

The bottom 2 sections of my Conti rod got jammed together first time i used it. Had to eventually deploy 2 bags of frozen Peas to get it apart.
I gave the male spigot a coat of Silicone grease and gradually worked it as the Bear said above, until it went in & came apart without a struggle. I wiped 95% of the grease off inside & out, leaving a very thin film, and it's been great ever since.
I keep a couple of 6" squares of that Grip mat stuff in my box now for a bit of extra grip on the Rod if I need it.

I assume he's tried both tips to each butt & cleaned out the female side ?
Past that all I can suggest is sit down & spend an hour twisting the joint back & forth to try & bed them together, wiping both sides clean every few minutes
I vote for five minutes with wet n dry lol

Tbh I might try the PTFE spray first but bugger spending an hour, I won’t have the patience!

As far as I’m concerned mine is just way too big.

(Still talking about fishing rods 😞)

I had the same problem with one of the HSM's I bought, male end was only going in about a centimetre, out came the 3in1 with PTFE, spray inside the female end and on the male end, gently rotate both parts of rod pushing gently at the same time, do not push the male end in too far or you will regret it. Do this for a few minutes then remove male end, clean off excess oil. and repeat until the correct amount of male spigot goes in. Job done. (y)

This can take half an hour or so, depending on how tight the spigot is in the first place.

Ian.

I had the same problem with one of the HSM's I bought, male end was only going in about a centimetre, out came the 3in1 with PTFE, spray inside the female end and on the male end, gently rotate both parts of rod pushing gently at the same time, do not push the male end in too far or you will regret it. Do this for a few minutes then remove male end, clean off excess oil. and repeat until the correct amount of male spigot goes in. Job done. (y)

This can take half an hour or so, depending on how tight the spigot is in the first place.

Ian.
HOW long?! 😱😱😱

I use a very light coat of this on male spigot and then wipe excess off before I assemble rods . Worked on all my century rods perfectly .
20241002_205834.jpg

Attachments

• 20241002_205844.jpg
    20241002_205844.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 1

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back