• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Braid!

jambop

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
OK quality braid is an expensive item even though it is said to be great stuff by those who really know. So here is my question do people put a backing layer on their spools before loading this semi precious material onto them ?
From my angle I am using an old style reel that required space to wind a mono with a much bigger diameter than a braid and therefore the quantity of braid required to fill the spool is way more than is ever going to be required... unless you hook Moby Dick ! My solution would be to pack the spool out so that about 100 to 150m of braid is required to fill it. So do people do that or are there some negatives I am missing?

I decide how much braid I need for the situation, lure or beach. (max 150yds for beach for me but whatever suits you for your purpose)

Then wind that on the reel, then just tape the end of the backing line on and fill the spool to max.

Then I rewind that backing onto second spool, tie the two together and then rewind the braid to end up on the outside.

That way you will always have the correct amount of backing and reel filled to correct capacity. You may need more spools or another reel or whatever if filling more than one spool but you get the idea? (y)

Edit: I only tape the backing on initially because sometimes I may do two or three spools - then you can just leave the first lot of braid on the reel, then refill again with the backing ready for the next spool - Then fill the extra spools up off my drum of braid, If that makes sense?

Last edited:
I do as above but with 200yrds as always feel safer with a bit more on the reel and also I can cast further ?, always make sure you soak your line and braid so it beds in better, then wet your spool before you cast, wet braid tends to get less wind knots ?

I do as above but with 200yrds as always feel safer with a bit more on the reel and also I can cast further ?

Bstard! :ROFLMAO:

I do as above but with 200yrds as always feel safer with a bit more on the reel and also I can cast further ?, always make sure you soak your line and braid so it beds in better, then wet your spool before you cast, wet braid tends to get less wind knots ?
Depends on the braid and also the rod/reel as some are very prone to them while others rarely and others none much is down to the combination

I go with 300 spools or if bulk wind 300 on have a digital counter.
any not sure on as my Shimano reels have the sized reducers is put braid on then top up with back then put onto a spare then backing then wind onto main spool also if have use a vernier to gauge backing depth so can Add/Subtract if change braid to different Dia

The old Cordless drill comes in handy when spooling up/down so always handy to keep some decent sized empty spools.
Also handy for spinning old line onto for rubbish

Thanks for the replies I get the impression that some backing before the braid is sensible. I just don't see the reasoning in putting twice as much line on that I will ever need. My spool takes more mono than I can use... that equates to twice as much more in very expensive braid. I have come to a compromise because I think it could be good stuff for casting lighter lures.

Thanks for the replies I get the impression that some backing before the braid is sensible. I just don't see the reasoning in putting twice as much line on that I will ever need. My spool takes more mono than I can use... that equates to twice as much more in very expensive braid. I have come to a compromise because I think it could be good stuff for casting lighter lures.
It is and it is. (y)

I decide how much braid I need for the situation, lure or beach. (max 150yds for beach for me but whatever suits you for your purpose)

Then wind that on the reel, then just tape the end of the backing line on and fill the spool to max.

Then I rewind that backing onto second spool, tie the two together and then rewind the braid to end up on the outside.

That way you will always have the correct amount of backing and reel filled to correct capacity. You may need more spools or another reel or whatever if filling more than one spool but you get the idea? (y)

Edit: I only tape the backing on initially because sometimes I may do two or three spools - then you can just leave the first lot of braid on the reel, then refill again with the backing ready for the next spool - Then fill the extra spools up off my drum of braid, If that makes sense?
Jambop, I do it this way too. To avoid wind knots, don't overfill the spool and after casting check visually that you don't have any loose line or loops sticking out before you start retrieving. Also, it is very important that the bale arm roller turns freely. I give the reel, including the spool and braid, a good rinse in fresh water after every trip and regularly disassemble and re-lubricate the roller mechanism. I don't have any trouble with wind knots using 16lb Sunline Siglon 8-strand braid. Most braid comes in 130-150-metre spools, so it can be reversed to make it last twice as long. You won't cast that far with a lure! PH

Jambop, I do it this way too. To avoid wind knots, don't overfill the spool and after casting check visually that you don't have any loose line or loops sticking out before you start retrieving. Also, it is very important that the bale arm roller turns freely. I give the reel, including the spool and braid, a good rinse in fresh water after every trip and regularly disassemble and re-lubricate the roller mechanism. I don't have any trouble with wind knots using 16lb Sunline Siglon 8-strand braid. Most braid comes in 130-150-metre spools, so it can be reversed to make it last twice as long. You won't cast that far with a lure! PH
But wait till you hook fish of a lifetime like a decent bonito on a lure and empties spool leaving you with rod in hand wonder what if!
Bonitos are becoming more regular on the south coast run with Mackerel!

You
But wait till you hook fish of a lifetime like a decent bonito on a lure and empties spool leaving you with rod in hand wonder what if!
Know what I never even thought about that possibility, does the sea off SW France harbour such creatures? I am going to be targeting sea bass but I have never explored what the variety of species caught from the shore actually is. I do know that Sea Bream is a very popular because they are good to eat and the limit on them is not bad and fish like mullet are plentiful too. Time to do some more research.

I always us spool reducers with a small amount of insulating tap on top before loading with braid, otherwise would need about 800m to fill some spools. I don't like using mono under braid.

That's a good tip about wetting before. I didn't know that.

You

Know what I never even thought about that possibility, does the sea off SW France harbour such creatures? I am going to be targeting sea bass but I have never explored what the variety of species caught from the shore actually is. I do know that Sea Bream is a very popular because they are good to eat and the limit on them is not bad and fish like mullet are plentiful too. Time to do some more research.
Can Hook Tuna Family fish That are bigger than mackerel for sure and all sorts swim up/around from Med/Tropics.

Go look on youtube at Ascension island videos where they get spooled More or less every time and that's with heavy gear not light lures

I just put the lot on ,and when it starts to look a bit shabby I just reverse it ,

Well of course being Scottish I would go one better! After the reverse end started to get shabby I would remove the line from the reel cut it in exactly half and then tie the two worn ends together and wind it back on again giving another shiny new end then when that end got shabby I would reverse it again.

I caught bonito of 11lb and 9lb in Lanzarote this year on a bass spinning rod, a 4500 reel and 20lb braid. They certainly did make long, fast runs, but I don't think they would have spooled me with 150m of 1.0 braid and 50-100m of mono backing, which is usually what I use for bass on a 3000 reel. They certainly make your drag scream though! I have heard of people hooking bluefin tuna on bass spinning gear here in the South West, and all you can do is hold on tight and wait for the crack! PH

Well of course being Scottish I would go one better! After the reverse end started to get shabby I would remove the line from the reel cut it in exactly half and then tie the two worn ends together and wind it back on again giving another shiny new end then when that end got shabby I would reverse it again.

Don’t tell me - Aberdonean? ??

The biggest cause of wind knots is line twist, I always lay it all out on a field, then walk along with finger and thumb and feel all the twist releasing, then wind it back on as tight as I can within reason leaving the end free. Wind knots no more, never.(y)

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back