• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Blakdog quality products

Yes, i was just trying to give you understanding how to set one up. Snapping 15lb line sounds like the mag is touching the spool?? How long does the reel spin for. Could try it that way. spin it, find on the mag where it spins for say 6 seconds, mark it with a pen. Should be almost impossible to blow up.
100% agree to have enough force on the reel to snap 15lb line. The mag has to be touching.
Fitted a few mag kits over the years and it's tricky to get it right.

Yes, as I clearly stated in post #11, 1 turn out still way too much brake so the line snapped resulting in a huge birdie as there was nothing pulling the line from the spool.
The force of the lead pulling out against the effect of the brake on the spool was more than the line could take so it snapped once the shock leader was off the spool.
At 2 turns out there was still braking force, because it reduced the casting distance to about 80yds, but obviously the braking force never exceeded the breaking strain of the 15lb line.

Nowhere do I mention too little brake so god knows what you're reading ?
I was reading you post as it happens... I could not work out how too much brake could cause a birdie, that's a new one on me but what do I know eh!

The only time that happens is on magnofuge reels when people are tentative.... you gotta get your revs up to make the brake work properly.
I have met a lot of people struggling with blue HTs until you tell em to stick it on 5 am smash it. Then it all starts to work.

Finally got the reels out last night, first time on the beach for 10+ years
1st cast. I left the mag all the way in, didn't even pull off all the shock leader :eek:
2nd cast. 1 turn out, way too much brake, snapped off about 30-40yds of line, monster birds nest :cry:
3rd cast. 2 turns out, bit more like it, 80+ yds. 😌
Started fishing at 2.5 turns out, after a few casts settled at 3 out.:)

Might I suggest a note on the instructions to start at 1.75-2 turns out.
The trouble is that everybody is different as is the setup on their reels. If you unwound a mag 1.75 turns on any of my reels that would be your lot for the night I suspect as mine are always setup to run fast with fast bearings.

The CORRECT way to set it up is as it tells you in the instructions ... its a safe starting point, using the full on first cast and back off gradually until you find an ideal setting for your reel.

One point here ... a mag brake cannot snap your 15lb line from the braking force of the magnets alone .. simply isn't possible! Even on a massively over-braked reel the slowing of the spool is not instant and the stretch of the line just would not allow this to happen. I would suspect there was something else going on, maybe damaged line but it was not the braking effect from the mags.

Yes, as I clearly stated in post #11, 1 turn out still way too much brake so the line snapped resulting in a huge birdie as there was nothing pulling the line from the spool.
The force of the lead pulling out against the effect of the brake on the spool was more than the line could take so it snapped once the shock leader was off the spool.
At 2 turns out there was still braking force, because it reduced the casting distance to about 80yds, but obviously the braking force never exceeded the breaking strain of the 15lb line.
As I said previously .. this is simply impossible from the braking force of the magnet. If the magnets are touching the spool you would know about it as the noise would make it obvious!

Maybe also chill out with Conofish ... that is not how you talk to someone trying to help you.

I'd suggest you have a chill for a couple of days, ring me Monday with the reel in front of you and I will try to work out what you've done wrong with it.

@blakdog is back
A quick question because I have not owned or used Abus or similar for many years.
Is it possible to have the original braking arrangement left on the reel if you mag it?.
Will the mag not foul the block arrangement?.

@blakdog is back
A quick question because I have not owned or used Abus or similar for many years.
Is it possible to have the original braking arrangement left on the reel if you mag it?.
Will the mag not foul the block arrangement?.
It depends on the reel ... you can with a 6500 Ambassadeur as the brakes are on the opposite side of the reel. Ditto the TSMIICFS. The likes of the Daiwa SLOSH, SHA, SHV, 7HT (and Turbo), they have to go as they will get in the way.

This guy's problem would be way more than just having the blocks still there I would think ... you'd have to work pretty hard to slow a reel up so extremely that you couldn't get past the shock leader ... I've seen stuff go further than that when someone has forgotten to put a reel in free spool before they cast! The snap off is categorically not over-braking and I suspect down to damaged line.

You shouldn't be able to cast with one of these monomags 3 turns off so there is something not right that's for sure.

As I said previously .. this is simply impossible from the braking force of the magnet. If the magnets are touching the spool you would know about it as the noise would make it obvious!

Maybe also chill out with Conofish ... that is not how you talk to someone trying to help you.

I'd suggest you have a chill for a couple of days, ring me Monday with the reel in front of you and I will try to work out what you've done wrong with it.
That sounds like a generous offer to me…..

I have never cast a multi so cannot comment Russ, only ever hung a rod over the side of a boat with one on!
I remember my late Dad bought one in the ‘60’s and spent most of a fishing session walking backwards up the beach clearing birds nests. He was an incredibly patient man…….im not and decided back then they wernt for me.
I know that was along time ago and pre mag brakes etc but with my crap eye sight and zero patience now I know I’m better off sticking to my mangles as just one nest would ruin the session for me.
I do admit to loving the whine of a well tuned multi though……
Hope that Mr angry bear does ring you and you can get him sorted as fishing is so much more enjoyable when one isn’t fighting one’s equipment.

I was reading you post as it happens... I could not work out how too much brake could cause a birdie, that's a new one on me but what do I know eh!
Well I wasn't watching the mechanics, I turned the brake out 1 full turn (using the grubscrew as a guide), I cast, the lead went sky wards, the line snapped, so I immediately thumbed the spool to stop it, & spent the next 15 mins undoing the birds nest.
I suspect the spool recoiled backwards when the line snapped
Next cast 2 turns out there was still a lot of brake as the lead only went about 70-80yds,
Next cast at 2.5 turns out 100+yds, nice controllable cast.

There was no problem fitting it, the instructions are easy to follow, & I followed them to the letter,
I was just super surprised at the amount of braking force, when I expected the starting point to be a lot less, which is why I said a bit of a warning might be useful

Last edited:
Yes, i was just trying to give you understanding how to set one up. Snapping 15lb line sounds like the mag is touching the spool?? How long does the reel spin for. Could try it that way. spin it, find on the mag where it spins for say 6 seconds, mark it with a pen. Should be almost impossible to blow up.
As I had it set to fish 2.5 turns out it spins for about 8-9 seconds.
with the mag all the way in it only spins for about 3 seconds.

It is 100% not touching the spool, I followed the instructions, screwed the mag in until I could just hear a slight rub on the spinning spool, then backed it off 1/2 a turn, held the magnet while screwing on the knob, tightened the grubscrew.
I've just double checked & both were 1/2 a turn off rubbing the spool.

As I had it set to fish 2.5 turns out it spins for about 8-9 seconds.
with the mag all the way in it only spins for about 3 seconds.

It is 100% not touching the spool, I followed the instructions, screwed the mag in until I could just hear a slight rub on the spinning spool, then backed it off 1/2 a turn, held the magnet while screwing on the knob, tightened the grubscrew.
I've just double checked & both were 1/2 a turn off rubbing the spool.
Nice to have a chat earlier and it put my mind at rest regarding any possibility of snagging or contact anywhere. (y)

Just a slow reel by the sounds of things, just been sat around and maybe taking a while for the bearings to free up or something.

For info a fishing tune on a reel would usually (with a spin up using a heavy flick of the handle) see a spin of about 3 to 5 seconds ... and about 10 to 12 for a field reel. Both would be considered safe for their respective purpose and although there will be those that will argue they are too slow it is always good practice to have a safe setting .. you can dial off braking you have, you can't dial on braking that isn't there.

Anyway, glad you generally pleased with it and have got it running how you want now.

(y)

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back