• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Bit of help for me and my lad

Some very good advice here on boat safety.

Personally, I wouldn’t head up to Pwllheli to fish inshore at weekends in the school holidays. Far too many muppets on jet-skis for my taste.

However, if you’re set on giving it a go, I’d head West out of the marina to Carreg y Dafaid for Bass. Stay 200m off the shoreline all the way there and troll nice and slow with something like a savage gear sandeel 120 in Khaki or smaller, together with a small shallow diver. Keep your eyes out for baitfish scattering on the surface. The cause will be Bass or more likely Mackerel or Gars at this time of year. If you’re able to cast lures safely, then small metals should catch the Mack and gars. Great fun on light gear. Be careful as the tide recedes however; there are two shallow sandbanks off Carreg y Dafaid. Not too big a problem on a small SIB on a neap tide, but something to be aware of.

Hth

Kev
Yes me too if he has to launch there just head towards Harlech, far quieter.

I was going to let him know that.

i have never fished on boat there bu sailed on yacht on races within club and anything from Criccieth towards the Islands is rammed with any type of stuff that can float and move on water.

As described, launching from enclosed harbour. 10hp four stroke, kill cord at all times. Carry oars, anchor, VHF, flares, navionics, fish finder, life jackets at all times (obviously, though the number of ppl I see there going out with their entire family on board on something sporty-looking with no life preservers or kill cords on is kind of shocking).

This isn't my first rodeo. I go out anything like a distance from the shore only on the sort of days I describe this Saturday above, which is 0.1m swell with a 7 second period. I can go out 2 miles in that weather, be seen still at all times by the many boats that come out on days like this (probably why I catch no fish lmao). Suspect I could probably just stand up and wave my arms and get rescued.

I disagree that my boat is easily swamped by wake, I frequently ride wakes from boats that must have over 200hp on the back and stay completely dry. I also disagree that people have difficulty seeing me on a "totally flat sea" - I see other SIBs from my own low deck without an issue at all at some distance. Obviously this worsens as sea state increases. One could argue that very close in shore is more problematic because of the chance of grounding and puncture, and in the case of engine failure, the horror of a lee shore.

None of which to say I am blase about any of this stuff, nor that the caution you advise isn't well founded, but one has to weigh risk with hazard. Risk really is probabilty of engine failure combined with simultaneous surprising shift in wind and weather. Or medical emergency. Actual problematic weather shifts that aren't accompanied by engine failure aren't particularly concerning because when I see that coming from afar, at two miles out I'll be back in the harbour before it turns up. I can expect the wind to get up somewhat without visual warning, but not to where swells will go to 2 meters high (which is what my boat is rated to). That sort of thing you see coming.

When I caught the mackerel and we didn't go down to St Tudwals 'cos there was a bit of chop, was a bit overcast, wasn't anything shocking, just meant we had to stick to displacement speeds, weather report said 0.5 meters and I didn't have my lad with me, but my m8 who is an experienced dinghy sailor. That's an example of risk management. We stayed where we were a half mile from the beach.

On the other hand, when my lad and I drifted over Gimblet Shoals, which is around two miles out, things were calm and we had several other, larger boats not far off doing similar things.

The reason I'm taking the time to answer this stuff, and please don't think I'm offended or something, it's all good advice :), but I frequently have people suggest that my SIB is just a coffin waiting to take me to Davy Jones locker or something. Folks on larger craft always seem to see smaller craft as deathtraps. A SIB is more seaworthy than something clinker built. With appropriate care and respect to sea conditions, it's perfectly fine.
See reply to Wobbler.

I have sailed around this area for a bout 10 years now and it amazes me and who i have sailed with as to the amount of small rubber dingys about 6ft with one bloke on fishing, probably the worst was 3, on a 8 ft one, 2 sitting on each of the tubes and the other sitting fishing over the back way out to sea.

Idiots abound unfortunately. Surely there must be an clown clause in the ownership of jetskis?

We damn near got swamped on my mates 5m+ deeper vee RIB by the wake of a fast cat ferry that passed then slowed a good distance from us. We were anchored and static bait fishing (so looking astern at the rod) in Morecambe Bay. Quick action on the helm stering us directly up anchor meant the second wave passed over and through the boat whilst we hung on for dear life.
Shit can happen very quickly and out of seemingly nowhere at sea

Idiots abound unfortunately. Surely there must be an clown clause in the ownership of jetskis?

We damn near got swamped on my mates 5m+ deeper vee RIB by the wake of a fast cat ferry that passed then slowed a good distance from us. We were anchored and static bait fishing (so looking astern at the rod) in Morecambe Bay. Quick action on the helm stering us directly up anchor meant the second wave passed over and through the boat whilst we hung on for dear life.
Shit can happen very quickly and out of seemingly nowhere at sea
Swamping is never really a worry on a RIB, all properly designed RIB's would still float when full of water, also 2 x 4" elephant trunks can move water at 48,000L an hour !, but of course you need to be moving.

On Friday whilst drift fishing, we took a huge wake from a 50ft Princess that passed us within 50m, and was doing probably 25knts. My AIS warned me it was coming. The wake was at least 4ft, and we took a little over the stern, but nothing to worry about.

Note that I said we were at anchor GPSG. The boat getting swamped wasn't the real issue, not that it helps of course, it was us and our gear getting washed out the back that was🫣 The wake from that Fast Cat formed a close series of 2 to 3m waves as it came up out of Lune deeps shipping channel and up onto the shallowing sand bar we were fishing. We rode up the 1st one but got hit by the 2nd as we dropped into the trough. That ferry is not a regular customer at Heysham but had been diverted from Liverpool. It was an unforgettable arse twitcher !

i have never fished on boat there bu sailed on yacht on races within club and anything from Criccieth towards the Islands is rammed with any type of stuff that can float and move on water.

This is true. On those nice flat days that I need for my boat the downside is this.

So, here's some context about being safe and making decisions:

Went down Friday night, got up and had boat in the water by about half 8. Had chat with couple of lads with a proper day boat and we agreed to keep eyes out for each other on the radio.

Soon as I got out of the harbour I could see it wasn't doing what the weather report said. Was a fairly constant stiff breeze onshore, was slackwater when I got out but the falling tide made it worse, despite it being outward the wind and swell still brought me inwards. No chance of planing. got down to the spot wobbler suggested at a slow displacement speed, went past that in fact to the next bit of headland (the one with the big concrete box on. Fort?). Got a line in the water, struggling a bit 'cos of swells to get my swivels on etc.

Wanted to do some trolling a bit closer in but, I don't have a rod holder and it quickly became apparent that the swells made it a tough to keep hand on tiller, eyes open and hold a rod at same time, clearly bad idea, I knocked that on the head. Every time it hinted it was getting better it actually got a little worse, until after just an hour of basically going up and down around that spot with feathers in hoping a mackerel would come my way, I decided it was all a bad idea and headed back.

Slow displacement speed against the waves, some of which were just barely cresting but I had some take me into a unnervingly deep trough, hence the decision, took me an hour to go the two miles back (along this coast this is, I don't think I went more than 300m away from the shore the entire outing). Could have gone a fair bit quicker but I did this for safety and comfort and, sort of fun and experience.

Was hoping to maybe do a drift across the outside of the harbour but the same situation prevailed and I just went in. Some pleasure boats and a couple of jetskis had come out but by the time I'd packed up everyone else had come in as well, all sayinig the same as me - too choppy to really be enjoyable. A couple of experienced fishers in a decent sized RIB had been down to Hell's Mouth and caught nothing and decided the sea state wasn't worth the hassle.

At no point did I really think things were actually properly dodgy but 1) I couldn't really achieve my aim of fishing and 2) it wasn't really comfortable to be truly enjoyable. But experience was gained and, despite it all, it was a smashing sunny day and nice to be out on the water :) .

How do folks who know the area feel about launching Porthmadoc or Barmouth for fishing? I don;t know now when I;d go out again on the boat fishing and I don;t know what I'd be going after, needs some reflection. But I wonder if it would be less busy with the jetskis etc down there?

This is true. On those nice flat days that I need for my boat the downside is this.

So, here's some context about being safe and making decisions:

Went down Friday night, got up and had boat in the water by about half 8. Had chat with couple of lads with a proper day boat and we agreed to keep eyes out for each other on the radio.

Soon as I got out of the harbour I could see it wasn't doing what the weather report said. Was a fairly constant stiff breeze onshore, was slackwater when I got out but the falling tide made it worse, despite it being outward the wind and swell still brought me inwards. No chance of planing. got down to the spot wobbler suggested at a slow displacement speed, went past that in fact to the next bit of headland (the one with the big concrete box on. Fort?). Got a line in the water, struggling a bit 'cos of swells to get my swivels on etc.

Wanted to do some trolling a bit closer in but, I don't have a rod holder and it quickly became apparent that the swells made it a tough to keep hand on tiller, eyes open and hold a rod at same time, clearly bad idea, I knocked that on the head. Every time it hinted it was getting better it actually got a little worse, until after just an hour of basically going up and down around that spot with feathers in hoping a mackerel would come my way, I decided it was all a bad idea and headed back.

Slow displacement speed against the waves, some of which were just barely cresting but I had some take me into a unnervingly deep trough, hence the decision, took me an hour to go the two miles back (along this coast this is, I don't think I went more than 300m away from the shore the entire outing). Could have gone a fair bit quicker but I did this for safety and comfort and, sort of fun and experience.

Was hoping to maybe do a drift across the outside of the harbour but the same situation prevailed and I just went in. Some pleasure boats and a couple of jetskis had come out but by the time I'd packed up everyone else had come in as well, all sayinig the same as me - too choppy to really be enjoyable. A couple of experienced fishers in a decent sized RIB had been down to Hell's Mouth and caught nothing and decided the sea state wasn't worth the hassle.

At no point did I really think things were actually properly dodgy but 1) I couldn't really achieve my aim of fishing and 2) it wasn't really comfortable to be truly enjoyable. But experience was gained and, despite it all, it was a smashing sunny day and nice to be out on the water :) .
Sounds to me like a classic wind over tide situation where the wind and tide are in opposing directions. This creates waves that combine together to make a swell, however, it is ALWAYS a short swell and that is what makes it uncomfortable and difficult to read the sea. By a ‘short sea’ , I mean the time period between the swell peaks was probably less than 2 secs.

we get that situation here if the wind is due south on an ebbing tide. Not at all pleasant but all part of boating. You could have got on the plane by taking the waves at a 45 degree angle, but this would be more for the experienced helm.

Last edited:
How do folks who know the area feel about launching Porthmadoc or Barmouth for fishing? I don;t know now when I;d go out again on the boat fishing and I don;t know what I'd be going after, needs some reflection. But I wonder if it would be less busy with the jetskis etc down there?
Launch at Barmouth and you have a short tide time and have to cross the bar, should not be a problem with small rib.

Never been from Porth harbour, but i think the same and it is far further to reach sea.

If it was me just launching and going fishing in that area I would choose Cricieth and just head south in busy times, or if now just go up north and anywhere, everyone has gone home.

I've had people recommend Ty Calch at Caernarfon. Presumably need to pick your moments there.

I was watching vids about cooking dogfish last night. Anyone eaten dogfish? Looks like could be good :D .

I've had people recommend Ty Calch at Caernarfon. Presumably need to pick your moments there.

I was watching vids about cooking dogfish last night. Anyone eaten dogfish? Looks like could be good :D .
Dogfish is supposed to be OK. I've never tried it.
I think they used to sell Dogfish & Huss in the Chip shops as Rock Salmon, but never seen it down here.

We used to catch them in my boat, as soon as landed kill it then cut the fins off and gut it. Cut a V in the back of the neck and use a pair of pliers and strip the skin off by holding the head and pulling the skin down to the tail. then cut the head off, wash and dry then cook.

Fkinell you scraping the barrel there, i would rather eat the bait ;) ;)

We used to catch them in my boat, as soon as landed kill it then cut the fins off and gut it. Cut a V in the back of the neck and use a pair of pliers and strip the skin off by holding the head and pulling the skin down to the tail. then cut the head off, wash and dry then cook.
I would rater eat me wellie!

I've only watched vids, so this is all theory, but the meat looks good when you've pulled that skin off. Folks say you can get ammonia taste, but prevented by, as Beach says, gut it, cut off fins straight away and wrap tight in a plastic bag. So I read, anyway. I'm keen to batter and deep fry some, meat looks so good.

I've only watched vids, so this is all theory, but the meat looks good when you've pulled that skin off. Folks say you can get ammonia taste, but prevented by, as Beach says, gut it, cut off fins straight away and wrap tight in a plastic bag. So I read, anyway. I'm keen to batter and deep fry some, meat looks so good.
I think I've read it pays to keep it in the fridge for 24hr before eating - helps get rid of the ammonia taste.

There's also stories about them twitching for ages after they are dead - one guy opened his fridge the following morning, and the Dogfish 'jumped out' and fell on his Dog!

I think I've read it pays to keep it in the fridge for 24hr before eating - helps get rid of the ammonia taste.

There's also stories about them twitching for ages after they are dead - one guy opened his fridge the following morning, and the Dogfish 'jumped out' and fell on his Dog!
That was me! 😂 The spaniel was never quite the same after 😂😂😂

Yep once gutted etc I’d definitely leave 24 hours, or even freeze

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back