• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Bit of help for me and my lad

Croolis

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Ello. I guess you get a million of these posts but I'll be properly gutted if I drag my 12 year old lad on another 3 and half hour drive, setting boat up, getting out on water, packing up boat and then driving back again with not even a bite to show for it. He puts a brave face on it, he's a good lad, but I want him to get something to make it all seem worthwhile. So I'm getting a bit desperate for something.

Got a 3.2m air decked inflatable with a 9.9hp. On a calm day I don't mind going out a couple miles, but where I'm fishing North Wales it's not deep where I launch from, a lot of 5-8m with what I think is sandy bottom pretty featureless.

I've had three trips and the only time I've caught is a single mackerel, using feathers with flashers, where I went in close to a short stretch, about 100m, of moderately rocky shore. My lad wasn't with me so he missed it. I'd like to catch more mackerel before they go and I'd also like to have a bass. I have various feather type selection for the mackerel and several redgill type lures for the bass, 2x 7ft Ugly Stiks with cheap end Shimano spinning reel and 15lb braid.

I caught the mackerel drifting along this stretch of rocks about 2 hours before high tide in the evening when the sun was getting a bit low. This weekend we have flat seas but I can only do the Sunday. High tide is like 7.45am, low tide 3pm and high again 8pm. I'd prefer to avoid the evening like last time 'cos it's work next day and I don't want to get back at midnight.

So maybe do the morning. If I don't get into the water until slack, and then fish the falling tide, will be around 9am by then, is that a useful strategy? I'll plan on motoring along a bit to where there's more cliff type shoreline with small cliffed islands and where it drops off into more like 15m-20m depth. Do drifts along there. Maybe low speed trolling along them if we get results with mackerel and move on to bass lures. There can be a lot of pleasure boats, jetskis etc about but if I'm up at that time I reckon it won't be busy yet.

Anyone got any thoughts or advice on this? Apologies for the ubiquitous newbie-type post. Replies appreciated.

Welcome to the Madhouse Croolis! 👍👍

Sorry, but I'm way down in the South West and haven't boat fished for about 40 years, so can't offer much advice.
Early mornings would be your best bet though. Somebody else might pop along later closer to the aarea you intend to fish.

Hi and welcome,
I honestly think you are driving in the wrong direction.
Three hours from Notts can take you to reliable marks on the East coast and to the Central south coast.
Both areas have loads of information about species and approach.
You will catch fish.

Hi and welcome,
I honestly think you are driving in the wrong direction.
Three hours from Notts can take you to reliable marks on the East coast and to the Central south coast.
Both areas have loads of information about species and approach.
You will catch fish.

Thanks. Issue with east coast is launching for a boat my size. It's all beach launching really except Whitby, and an onshore wind makes that challenging. Humber has that strong current thing going on. Whitby is closer than Wales, South coast is further (I'm actually from SE London). I'll get round to having a go at Whitby, but for this year, it's Wales.

Ello. I guess you get a million of these posts but I'll be properly gutted if I drag my 12 year old lad on another 3 and half hour drive, setting boat up, getting out on water, packing up boat and then driving back again with not even a bite to show for it. He puts a brave face on it, he's a good lad, but I want him to get something to make it all seem worthwhile. So I'm getting a bit desperate for something.

Got a 3.2m air decked inflatable with a 9.9hp. On a calm day I don't mind going out a couple miles, but where I'm fishing North Wales it's not deep where I launch from, a lot of 5-8m with what I think is sandy bottom pretty featureless.

I've had three trips and the only time I've caught is a single mackerel, using feathers with flashers, where I went in close to a short stretch, about 100m, of moderately rocky shore. My lad wasn't with me so he missed it. I'd like to catch more mackerel before they go and I'd also like to have a bass. I have various feather type selection for the mackerel and several redgill type lures for the bass, 2x 7ft Ugly Stiks with cheap end Shimano spinning reel and 15lb braid.

I caught the mackerel drifting along this stretch of rocks about 2 hours before high tide in the evening when the sun was getting a bit low. This weekend we have flat seas but I can only do the Sunday. High tide is like 7.45am, low tide 3pm and high again 8pm. I'd prefer to avoid the evening like last time 'cos it's work next day and I don't want to get back at midnight.

So maybe do the morning. If I don't get into the water until slack, and then fish the falling tide, will be around 9am by then, is that a useful strategy? I'll plan on motoring along a bit to where there's more cliff type shoreline with small cliffed islands and where it drops off into more like 15m-20m depth. Do drifts along there. Maybe low speed trolling along them if we get results with mackerel and move on to bass lures. There can be a lot of pleasure boats, jetskis etc about but if I'm up at that time I reckon it won't be busy yet.

Anyone got any thoughts or advice on this? Apologies for the ubiquitous newbie-type post. Replies appreciated.
Don't get too obsessed with depth. You don't need it for bass. Where are you launching from?

Se London.
What about launching from the north Kent coast and fishing the towers for bass?
Almost anywhere just off sheppey for thornback rays.
Dover, wrecks and banks close in to explore.
Folkestone, as above.
Dymchurch sac as above plus thornback rays.
Varn boat club, as above.

Also, I think hearn bay has a boat club

North Wales is quite large so where abouts in North Wales ??
Only boat fishing I've done up that way was a match out of Amlwch, iirc we did a bit of drifting for pollock etc quite close in before going out to drop anchor.
Main thing I'd suggest is take some bait don't just rely on feathers, if there are no mackerel you'll get nothing, if you've got bait you might pick up something to keep your lad interested.

Didn't want to say exactly in case people were reluctant to talk about stuff online, marks etc. It's launching from Pwlheli, motoring the ~5 miles south to Abersoch/St Tudwals. The last time, when I got the mackerel, it was too choppy to go down to St Tudwals, we didn't have our wets lol, so got soaked as water broke over the bow. So we chose to do these drifts along the outside of the outer harbour land spit and got that mackerel there.

Previously, I'd just fished the waters around Pwlheli harbour. Couple of miles out maximum in my little boat. On Navionics you'll see what I guess is a reef, I dunno, to the south called Gimblet Shoals, which we had a couple of drifts over, but caught nothing. That whole area's bottom seems pretty flat 5-8m with what I guess is sand, so I guess it's not brilliant because lack of features, dunno.

We've have had a couple hours down at St Tudwals on another day before, but got nothing again, but we were further out into the channel in deeper water, not close in. Had a drift between the islands. No joy.

This weekend will be almost flat calm, so I'm doing St Tudwals. 0.1m swells with 7 second wave period. So now looking at doing the fishing Saturday. High tide 7am, low tide is 2.15pm, high tide again 7.15pm.

I've never fished with bait. What do you suggest? I had thought about actually buying a supermarket mackerel and sticking bits on the feathers/sandeel lures.

So I guess it's - close in to the cliffs at St Tudwals/mainland. What best time of day with those tides I dunno, early morning is possible, but I won't get down to the islands until slackwater at least, more likely an hour or two into the falling tide. And bait. I have blue sandeel lures about 120mm long umm 20 gram I think they are, various coloured similar but shorter lures about 60mm long more like 8 gram. A whole selection of feathers, 3 or 5 on a rig with 1 ounce weights to go with.

Replies much appreciated.

Last edited:
I don't live down south any more, and when I go down I rarely have the opprtunity for fishing, not this year anyway. So for the rest of the year it's Pwlheli. Figure it's better to get properly familiar with a place. And in terms of slipway etc., it's a great harbour, slipway useful to me at all times of tide. I'm not experienced enough to do beach launching yet, so it's all about finding slipways.

But as I say, I'm not looking to fish anywhere else right now unless this is a total non-starter. Too novice to know.

Didn't want to say exactly in case people were reluctant to talk about stuff online, marks etc. It's launching from Pwlheli, motoring the ~5 miles south to Abersoch/St Tudwals. The last time, when I got the mackerel, it was too choppy to go down to St Tudwals, we didn't have our wets lol, so got soaked as water broke over the bow. So we chose to do these drifts along the outside of the outer harbour land spit and got that mackerel there.

Previously, I'd just fished the waters around Pwlheli harbour. Couple of miles out maximum in my little boat. On Navionics you'll see what I guess is a reef, I dunno, to the south called Gimblet Shoals, which we had a couple of drifts over, but caught nothing. That whole area's bottom seems pretty flat 5-8m with what I guess is sand, so I guess it's not brilliant because lack of features, dunno.

We've have had a couple hours down at St Tudwals on another day before, but got nothing again, but we were further out into the channel in deeper water, not close in. Had a drift between the islands. No joy.

This weekend will be almost flat calm, so I'm doing St Tudwals. 0.1m swells with 7 second wave period. So now looking at doing the fishing Saturday. High tide 7am, low tide is 2.15pm, high tide again 7.15pm.

I've never fished with bait. What do you suggest? I had thought about actually buying a supermarket mackerel and sticking bits on the feathers/sandeel lures.

So I guess it's - close in to the cliffs at St Tudwals/mainland. What best time of day with those tides I dunno, early morning is possible, but I won't get down to the islands until slackwater at least, more likely an hour or two into the falling tide. And bait. I have blue sandeel lures about 120mm long umm 20 gram I think they are, various coloured similar but shorter lures about 60mm long more like 8 gram. A whole selection of feathers, 3 or 5 on a rig with 1 ounce weights to go with.

Replies much appreciated.

20 grams is less than an ounce - you might need to put a barrel lead about a metre back from your lure, especially if trolling.
Similar with the feathers - I'd be looking at a 3 or 4 ounce weight. Better still, use a 100 or 150 gram Dexter wedge instead of a weight. You need to ensure getting down near the bottom.

I wouldn't bother using supermarket mackerel. It is usually quite poor. but feathers tipped with fresh mackerel are very good. Plenty of fish to be caught over that way. Bass pollack and wrasse will happily take your lures along with mackerel and gars which both make decent bottom fishing baits. Always keep an eye out for working birds. I think @Wobbler72 fishes that area.....

Welcome to TSF Croolis👍

I have to tell you that reading your opening post sent a shiver down my spine! At the risk of sounding like a spoiler/do-gooder/nosey git, the facts are that in a 10.5ft SIB with 2 on board (plus tackle, net, spare fuel, oars/paddles, flare kit, vhf, food, water etc etc) you will have to be extremely careful indeed as to where and when you launch and retrieve! Areas, weather conditions and therefore times when you can safely use it at sea are going to be very limited. Even inshore on a totally flat sea other sea users can really struggle to see such small boats, even more so with SIBs as they sit so low. Unless you've a good radar reflector on a long pole then bigger boats will be totally 'radar blind', so I wouldn't even consider heading 2 miles offshore. Not even solo, never mind with another life and their extra weight onboard. The low freeboard means you are very easily swamped by wake, rogue waves or cresting swell.

There are SIB fishing groups that I'm sure you could join to get information on where is good to go. Certainly when I see them out locally they are in small flotillas and never more than a few hundred yards offshore.

Whatever you do please be safe, always respect the sea and remember your decisions and actions don't just involve you but directly affect the lives of those who may be sent to search for you. I speak from experience, not all of it good.

As above, you do not need go far out in the bay there.

I have been out on boat off Shell Island coast up towards Harlech area, water depth is not deep and plenty to catch within 500 yds off beach.

The reef is off Shell Island southwards to fish over as well.

Get fresh bait from Barmouth Angling, just give them a call first if you are in that area.

Welcome to TSF Croolis👍

I have to tell you that reading your opening post sent a shiver down my spine! At the risk of sounding like a spoiler/do-gooder/nosey git, the facts are that in a 10.5ft SIB with 2 on board (plus tackle, net, spare fuel, oars/paddles, flare kit, vhf, food, water etc etc) you will have to be extremely careful indeed as to where and when you launch and retrieve! Areas, weather conditions and therefore times when you can safely use it at sea are going to be very limited. Even inshore on a totally flat sea other sea users can really struggle to see such small boats, even more so with SIBs as they sit so low. Unless you've a good radar reflector on a long pole then bigger boats will be totally 'radar blind', so I wouldn't even consider heading 2 miles offshore. Not even solo, never mind with another life and their extra weight onboard. The low freeboard means you are very easily swamped by wake, rogue waves or cresting swell.

There are SIB fishing groups that I'm sure you could join to get information on where is good to go. Certainly when I see them out locally they are in small flotillas and never more than a few hundred yards offshore.

Whatever you do please be safe, always respect the sea and remember your decisions and actions don't just involve you but directly affect the lives of those who may be sent to search for you. I speak from experience, not all of it good.

As described, launching from enclosed harbour. 10hp four stroke, kill cord at all times. Carry oars, anchor, VHF, flares, navionics, fish finder, life jackets at all times (obviously, though the number of ppl I see there going out with their entire family on board on something sporty-looking with no life preservers or kill cords on is kind of shocking).

This isn't my first rodeo. I go out anything like a distance from the shore only on the sort of days I describe this Saturday above, which is 0.1m swell with a 7 second period. I can go out 2 miles in that weather, be seen still at all times by the many boats that come out on days like this (probably why I catch no fish lmao). Suspect I could probably just stand up and wave my arms and get rescued.

I disagree that my boat is easily swamped by wake, I frequently ride wakes from boats that must have over 200hp on the back and stay completely dry. I also disagree that people have difficulty seeing me on a "totally flat sea" - I see other SIBs from my own low deck without an issue at all at some distance. Obviously this worsens as sea state increases. One could argue that very close in shore is more problematic because of the chance of grounding and puncture, and in the case of engine failure, the horror of a lee shore.

None of which to say I am blase about any of this stuff, nor that the caution you advise isn't well founded, but one has to weigh risk with hazard. Risk really is probabilty of engine failure combined with simultaneous surprising shift in wind and weather. Or medical emergency. Actual problematic weather shifts that aren't accompanied by engine failure aren't particularly concerning because when I see that coming from afar, at two miles out I'll be back in the harbour before it turns up. I can expect the wind to get up somewhat without visual warning, but not to where swells will go to 2 meters high (which is what my boat is rated to). That sort of thing you see coming.

When I caught the mackerel and we didn't go down to St Tudwals 'cos there was a bit of chop, was a bit overcast, wasn't anything shocking, just meant we had to stick to displacement speeds, weather report said 0.5 meters and I didn't have my lad with me, but my m8 who is an experienced dinghy sailor. That's an example of risk management. We stayed where we were a half mile from the beach.

On the other hand, when my lad and I drifted over Gimblet Shoals, which is around two miles out, things were calm and we had several other, larger boats not far off doing similar things.

The reason I'm taking the time to answer this stuff, and please don't think I'm offended or something, it's all good advice :), but I frequently have people suggest that my SIB is just a coffin waiting to take me to Davy Jones locker or something. Folks on larger craft always seem to see smaller craft as deathtraps. A SIB is more seaworthy than something clinker built. With appropriate care and respect to sea conditions, it's perfectly fine.

No worries Croolis👍 I wasn't trying to teach you how to suck eggs, nor as stated being a nanny about what is at the end of the day your business. I was brought up around boats and water, managed a fleet of fishing dinghies, ex RNLI (D class and Atlantics) and currently own a RIB for my own angling, so I've riden a few thousand rodeos myself. Yes SIBs are perfectly fine when conditions allow. I've owned a Honwav.
Enjoy your fishing 🤞

Some very good advice here on boat safety.

Personally, I wouldn’t head up to Pwllheli to fish inshore at weekends in the school holidays. Far too many muppets on jet-skis for my taste.

However, if you’re set on giving it a go, I’d head West out of the marina to Carreg y Dafaid for Bass. Stay 200m off the shoreline all the way there and troll nice and slow with something like a savage gear sandeel 120 in Khaki or smaller, together with a small shallow diver. Keep your eyes out for baitfish scattering on the surface. The cause will be Bass or more likely Mackerel or Gars at this time of year. If you’re able to cast lures safely, then small metals should catch the Mack and gars. Great fun on light gear. Be careful as the tide recedes however; there are two shallow sandbanks off Carreg y Dafaid. Not too big a problem on a small SIB on a neap tide, but something to be aware of.

Hth

Kev

Last edited:
Some very good advice here on boat safety.

Personally, I wouldn’t head up to Pwllheli to fish inshore at weekends in the school holidays. Far too many muppets on jet-skis for my taste.

However, if you’re set on giving it a go, I’d head West out of the marina to Carreg y Dafaid for Bass. Stay 200m off the shoreline all the way there and troll nice and slow with something like a savage gear sandeel 120 in Khaki or smaller, together with a small shallow diver. Keep your eyes out for baitfish scattering on the surface. The cause will be Bass or more likely Gars at this time of year. If you’re able to cast lures safely, then small metals should catch the gars. Great fun on light gear. Be careful as the tide recedes however; there are two shallow sandbanks off Carreg y Dafaid. Not too big a problem on a small SIB on a neap tide, but something to be aware of.

Hth

Kev
That's awesome. Thx very much. I've passed that headland before but never fished near it really.

You're right about the jetskis and everything else, they are a sodding pain. Amazes me that someone on a jet ski has the entire bloody bay to play on but still want to come close by you even when they can see you're fishing. Like I said, I'm rather hoping that a nice early start on Saturday will avoid some of that for a while at least.

Navionics set up with a route :) .

I've got one dexter wedge I think that a coarse angler at work gave me. Don't think it's too small.

Thx for that :) .

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back