• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

advice about boats.

Skutter

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
The short of it is, an old Danish fella I know has a boat to sell. Hes an honest chap. Its nothing massive - 25hp 4t motor on it -
hes used it along the coast here in southern Sweden / The Sound and Skälderviken.
I know not a whole lot about boats - despite living on a canal for a few years.
Storage isn't an issue.
What things should I factor in in terms of costs / time investment - i.e maintenance, repairs, fees etc.

As storage isn't an issue that's one big cost avoided. Assume it's on a trailer? Annual checks of the trailer can be done by DIY if you’re good with the tools.
25 hp shouldn't use too much fuel. Should run all day on a 12 lt tank
Outboard service, in UK a dealer will be looking at £250 ish - you can do it yourself. The parts and oils for my 20 hp Tohatsu are around £120 per service which needs to be done each year. Anodes would be extra if required but as it's kept on trailer they last for years.

What's the hull made of? GRP doesn't require too much work other than a polish to keep it looking nice. A wooden hull that's painted or varnished wood takes a lot of work to keep it tip top condition.

Insurance - in UK most slipways and marinas require you to have cover for your boat.
Next the on off spendy bits : Life Jacket, Flares, VHF, spare fuel, auxiliary outboard etc etc
Repairs - well how long is a bit of string - depends what happens.
Sea water loves to kill things. You'll end up replacing bits and upgrading as you go.

I did a few videos a while ago.

Thanks for the reply and the videos. working my way thought them all, but she very sound advice.

Had a look into insurances and even hiring harbour spots locally and worked those into estimated running costs and surprised that they are quite a bit cheaper than I thought tbh.

The boat i'm looking at is a RYDS 480S - GRP so not as nice as wood but not as time consuming to take care of.

The bloke selling it I sell firewood to and rent yard space of his mate who he works part time for so we are on good terms and its very much can't fall out with locals vibe where I live.

The motor on it is maybe a little underpowered for the boat - a 25hp 4stroke Yamaha. but I don't intend on wakeboarding or doing tourist safaris with it and though its far from new it looks immaculate under the cover and Hes offered to walk me through the service of the motor etc first time round and hes talked me through parts costs etc and all seems reasonable (though not free) and hes pointed a couple of things what I can expect to have to changed in a few years etc.
Hes done all the regular maintenance, recently bottom painted, new battery, motor serviced, clean oil and cam belt recently changed. Stuck new tiers on the trailer and its recently inspected road worthy after new bearings.

Hes saying with in reason there should be nothing that will need fixing or changing straight away in terms of having it ready for fishing trips but might want to upgrade a few things but from what I gather that's pretty standard.

The boat is with in my budget but towards the higher end but still leave me about 1k euros for immediate things. its is as far as I know pretty much ready to go and I get the offer of help with service and maintenance until I get the hang of it so an excellent learning opportunity.

I think I've all but convinced myself into buying it :)

I had to Google RYDS 480S, they look like nice boats with plenty of space. I've no idea what weight they are and maybe the 25 hp is on the low side. But, 25hp isn't going to cost a lot to run or maintain. I rarely do more than 10 knts even though my set can do double that. I've got all day to enjoy the journey and prefer the smoother ride (kinder on the outboard too).

As Angrybear has said, don’t skimp on whatever safety gear is required for your fishing grounds. Worth getting a smaller outboard as a 'just in case' to get you home.

Safe boating if you do decide to go ahead with the purchase.

I live on part of the north west Skåne coast in Sweden (ex pat) at a bay known as Skälderviken - just above the Sound between Denmark.
Old boy is selling the boat because he has bought a new one - bit bigger - bit better - taking the grandkids out n stuff. We have already talked about going out in it together so he can talk me through every thing.

There is a 2 day online boat course you can do here ( also can do it in a class) that reduces your insurance by about 30% or more which I'll be doing.

Here to thing to do is be a member of the volunteer sea rescue (not active but a paying supporter) for about €70 a year. They are the AA ish of the sea among other things - well they will tow you home if you can't get there and that's covered in your membership other wise if you call them for something that isn't a life threatening emergency you pay a hefty amount.

I'm a fairly regular ocean swimmer on the short end of mid distances 2 - 3 miles and have kite surfed and dived for years so I'm fairly aware of what conditions can be like around here and also how quickly they can change local currents weather paterns etc and how wrong I can get it and how even when prepared things go tits up... - having met the local sea rescue groups not only on my race swims but also during a little misadventure with some inexperienced sea kayakers ...

one common risk here and is some one is solo on a boat, cliff, kayak and gets stuck by a Greater weever - an experience I've never had and one I wish to avoid based on all accounts.

When i first began the “journey” and fascination of fishing boats and ownership a wise man and dangler told me to give self slap in face and not bother, he was right but enjoyed it till finally cured, enjoy! 👍

Last edited:
When i first began the “journey” and fascination of fishing boats and ownership a wise man and dangler told me to give self slap in face and not bother, he was right but enjoyed it till finally cured, enjoy! 👍
Yep they're a money pit alright, but so very enjoyable. For now 👍

Me too, i was laughed at by bloke on pier and given advice after buying boat.

I knew i wanted one for the experience and fully glad i did but looking back would have been far cheaper and less hassle to book charter boat for trips.

Yup its not a surprise but is still very apparent that its costing a lot more than just going on the charters and its a LOT more work - Much easier to arrive at the harbour and just hop on a big boat with a couple of rods and a box rather than messing about with a trailer, loading, cleaning down after etc. BUT having the freedom to fish when I want - for how long or short time I want to and and always getting the best spot on the boat to fish from is well worth it. - so was the Sunday morning solo sunrise trip out on the boat to a lovely spot of coast nearby watching pods of dolphins going around and then catching the evenings meal and then some. That's worth it imop,

That said i'm booked on my favourite local charter on Thursday evening because it's a small boat and the guy does it as hobby and it's very sociable. I learn a lot from the other guys on the boat usually so yup I will be paying for a boat and all its woes as well as still going on charters - but at least the fish are free

Me too, i was laughed at by bloke on pier and given advice after buying boat.

I knew i wanted one for the experience and fully glad i did but looking back would have been far cheaper and less hassle to book charter boat for trips.
Also I found if you have a boat on a mooring among other anglers lot of time spent drinking tea and yacking
not unlike a allotment I suspect ( never had one) and good excuse to escape to sanctuary.😂
Was fortunate on the charter front as could get a shout to make numbers up on boat but downside been sometimes
Never knew who you would be fishing with and nothing worse than having to talk to some people or suffer fishing next
To them if a complete Umpty who fished mono when you were using braid🤬

Yup its not a surprise but is still very apparent that its costing a lot more than just going on the charters and its a LOT more work - Much easier to arrive at the harbour and just hop on a big boat with a couple of rods and a box rather than messing about with a trailer, loading, cleaning down after etc. BUT having the freedom to fish when I want - for how long or short time I want to and and always getting the best spot on the boat to fish from is well worth it. - so was the Sunday morning solo sunrise trip out on the boat to a lovely spot of coast nearby watching pods of dolphins going around and then catching the evenings meal and then some. That's worth it imop,

That said i'm booked on my favourite local charter on Thursday evening because it's a small boat and the guy does it as hobby and it's very sociable. I learn a lot from the other guys on the boat usually so yup I will be paying for a boat and all its woes as well as still going on charters - but at least the fish are free

I suppose having your own Boat or getting a charter booking is a bit like owning your own car or jumping on a bus.
Having your own, you get the choice to go when & where you want.
I started out fishing from boats, and would love my own here, but nowhere affordable to store one, and it would sit there 6 months of the year unused due to the weather.

I suppose having your own Boat or getting a charter booking is a bit like owning your own car or jumping on a bus.
Having your own, you get the choice to go when & where you want.
I started out fishing from boats, and would love my own here, but nowhere affordable to store one, and it would sit there 6 months of the year unused due to the weather.
Can also turn into a millstone eventually and will take over your life if on a mooring which is really the only way to go as age creeps up and not good for the pocket😂

Can also turn into a millstone eventually and will take over your life if on a mooring which is really the only way to go as age creeps up and not good for the pocket😂
I did not regret owning mine but a pita.
The boat was on a drying out mooring and 70 miles from house or 10 from caravan.
So you had 3 conditions that had to be right before you could use, weather, tide and being there.
Then i never had tow bar on car and had to rely on daughters partner to tow home and back for winter.

For me It's more than just the money side of things. I enjoy maintaining and looking after the boat. It has been fun learning Navionics and searching out my own marks. Building knowledge of the sea, weather patterns, boat handling etc etc is all part of it. If it were just a financial question the charter boats are probably the way to go.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back