• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North East A little tiddler

Thanks Dave, I'll take a look at Sabiki.

At the moment I have just the one reel, it's a crossfire 3000 loaded with 10lb mono (the shop did that for me when I bought it). I've lost a few lures since then and some of the line too as you'd expect. I've recently taken delivery of some 9kg PowerPro mono that I'd like to start making use of, it's a 275m spool, so probably twice as much as my current reel can hold. Should I be looking to get a larger capacity reel, or is it best practice to just load as much braid as my crossfire can hold and snip the line off?

My apologies for the novice questions :)

A 3000 sized reel should be fine for a 9ft lure rod - I use similar sized reels on mine.
You could go up to a 4000 OK, but a much bigger reel would probably unbalance the rod, unless you intend to buy a beefier rod too.
You might also find a much bigger reel foot won't fit in the reel seat of your lure rod.

I tried to put one of my 8000 reels on a lure rod at home just to spool some line onto it - no way was it going to fit.
It pays to remember, if the fish ain't there, nobody is going to catch 'em!

A 3000 sized reel should be fine for a 9ft lure rod - I use similar sized reels on mine.
You could go up to a 4000 OK, but a much bigger reel would probably unbalance the rod, unless you intend to buy a beefier rod too.
You might also find a much bigger reel foot won't fit in the reel seat of your lure rod.

I tried to put one of my 8000 reels on a lure rod at home just to spool some line onto it - no way was it going to fit.
It pays to remember, if the fish ain't there, nobody is going to catch 'em!
Thanks Trampster.

While I was over at the pier, I tried a couple of metal lures and I ended up casting out all of the line that was left on the spool. It's a good job it was tied on :)

Last edited:

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back