• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Unwanted holiday souvenir.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Having just got back from holiday with an unwanted souvenir, a family outbreak of Covid ?, I had been indoors and wearing a mask for several days and I was going pretty stir crazy. By Tuesday night though I was feeling a little better, so I decided to sneak out for a cheeky session, at a mark where I was very unlikely to see anyone else.

Conditions on my arrival were pretty good with calm, clear water and though I was a little early in the tide, I was feeling confident of a few fish. With the water still being quite shallow, I started up-top with the baby Patch and the Frosty, but when they failed to produce I switched to the Swimish. This also failed to attract any interest, so with the depth increasing nicely by now, I clipped on the Mishna for the first time of the evening. I started off with a 5g jig-head, but as the water got deeper I gradually increased the weight of my offering. Next up was the 7g head and this finally had the desired effect, as my lure was stopped in its tracks half way through the drift. Aided by the flow, the culprit put up quite a scrap and though it didn’t take any line, it gave a good account of itself nonetheless. I took my time though and after a minute or two the blank was beaten, with a plump schoolie of 44cm ?.
Bass-81_2022.jpg

The water was getting deeper still now, and the current was flowing much more strongly, so I switched to the 10g head, in order to keep the lure down in the feeding zone. 15 minutes or so later my lure was stopped again, and though my initial thought was that it might be a snag, I was soon proved wrong when the “snag” started to fight back. The fight was similar to the first, but with the fish taking the lure much further out this time, it took me an extra couple of minutes to beat it. Again it wasn’t a monster but at 48cm I was more than happy with my second bass of the evening ?.
Bass-82_2022.jpg

30 minutes later and the flow began to ease, which signalled an end to the action for the time being. I continued fishing until high water but sadly, even though I tried several different lures, I didn’t get any more interest.

Feeling a little tired now, I decided to call it a night and I headed back along the coast, but after a few hundred meters I had a cunning idea. It was around this area that I had spotted an interesting feature a few years back, which I was convinced would hold bass, and though I had been meaning to fish it ever since, I had never actually got around to it. This seemed like an ideal opportunity to give it a go, but the question was how would I find it in darkness ?. After fanning out a few casts while considering my options, it suddenly hit me! Taking out my phone I opened Google Maps, and using the satellite overlay I was able to pinpoint the feature precisely ?.

It was only a few meters along from where I was standing, so I repositioned myself slightly and after one final check, I was confident that I was indeed fishing my lures over the area of interest. Unsure of exactly how deep the water was there, I started off with a weightless Wave Worm, but as my confidence grew I soon switched back to the 7g Mishna. Having never fished the spot before, I wasn’t sure what to expect, so I just went through my usual routine when fishing a new mark for the first time and eventually, after 45 minutes my efforts were rewarded when my lure was finally hit ?. At 45cm it wasn’t a big fish but I wasn’t bothered one bit, the nature of the capture, in particular my use of modern technology to pinpoint the feature in darkness, made it a capture to remember ?.
Bass-83_2022.jpg

Though I had actually caught at this new spot, there was still the possibility that it might have just been a fluke so I didn’t really expect any more action, but incredibly, 20 minutes later I was in again when another bass took a liking to the Mishna, and at 46cm it was almost a carbon copy of the first.
Bass-84_2022.jpg

With the tide dropping rapidly by now, I hoped that I might soon get to see the ground which had been holding the bass, but it was getting late and I was starting to flag, so I reluctantly called it a night at 00:30 and headed home to continue my convalescence ?.

Bloody Covid , well done Andy

Good fishing and hope the covid is mild.

Great fishing and photos well done. Hope you all feel better soon (y)
Cheers gents, though 2 of my boys have had Covid before, the other 3 of us have managed to around it for 2 and a half years, so we can't really complain ?.

Generally we've only suffered cold and flu type symptoms, so we've got away quite lightly compared with some.

Those are the same pictures you posted last week..!

Are you sure? I've checked out the pictures in my last report and ground the bass were on is different ?.

Last edited:
Back