• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Seeking Advice on Braided Line and Matching Leader Strengths

eam

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hey all,

I'm getting ready for some shore fishing action around Malaga and Cadiz, and I need a bit of guidance on my gear setup. While I've had a bit of fishing experience, I'm basically starting anew.

Here's where I stand: I've got a 22lbs braided main line paired with a 30lbs casting leader. But I'm starting to think this setup might be too light for what I have in mind. My rig includes a Shimano Alivio 425 rod and a Shimano Aerlex 10000XTB reel with a capacity of 0.35mm-400m / 0.40mm-300m / 0.45mm-200m and a brake of 15kg.

I'm planning to start small from the shore but want some flexibility for other scenarios too. Given the powerful waves in the Atlantic, I'm considering upgrading to a stronger braid main line to handle heavier leads.

So, here's my question: What braided line strength would you recommend for my setup? And, equally important, what strength leader should I pair with it?

Thanks a bunch!

Welcome to the Madhouse eam!

It depends what you are targetting. Your setup sounds good for the usual fish caught around the UK but I notice you are from Germany.
No experience of fishing in Malaga & Cadiz as to what species are there. Some of our more travelled members might have better advice on that.
Some folk are using heavier Braid straight through, no leader - 60 - 80Lb. All a matter of preference.

I dont really have any first hand experience what is commonly caught here, just some internet research. For now gilthead sea breams would be something i am interested. The plan was to use a dropper rig with circle hooks to get started.

From my understanding my 22lbs would allow me to safely cast 2-3ounce sinkers. 3 ounce sinkers seem way to weak for the Atlantic though.

Beaches here are mostly sandy.

I think your line will be fine, but the rule of thumb for leaders is 2x the length of your rod to allow a couple of turns around the reel spool, and 10Lb breaking strain for every ounce you intend to cast, plus a 10Lb safety margin. If you can, I would uprate your leader to 50 or 60Lb.
I never cast more than 4oz with my 4.5 metre continental rods, but use 60 or 70Lb mono for leaders & rig bodies.
I use 28Lb Mono for main line - I haven't got on wth trying Braid for beach fishing. Again, a matter of preference.

I would have thought at least a 4oz weight would be more like it. Gripper Leads might be a good idea too.
Dropper rig with circle hooks sounds good - Razor Clams & Peeler Crabs are good bait for Giltheads, if you can get 'em.

Thanks for your reply!

Do I understand it correctly that basically the shock leader is what defines the possible casting weight (other than the rod) as this is the part of the line that handles the shock of casting the weight out and that the strength of the main line has little influence on that. The main line rather sets the max for the possible fish weight?

So if I'd upgrade the shock leader to 60lbs mono and keep the braided main at 22lbs I could safely cast a 5oz sinker?

I have some 3oz sputnik grippers atm but would get heavier ones if possible to safely cast.

They sell razor clams in the supermarket here, already salted some that are ready to go.

Thanks for your reply!

Do I understand it correctly that basically the shock leader is what defines the possible casting weight (other than the rod) as this is the part of the line that handles the shock of casting the weight out and that the strength of the main line has little influence on that. The main line rather sets the max for the possible fish weight?

So if I'd upgrade the shock leader to 60lbs mono and keep the braided main at 22lbs I could safely cast a 5oz sinker?

I have some 3oz sputnik grippers atm but would get heavier ones if possible to safely cast.

They sell razor clams in the supermarket here, already salted some that are ready to go.

Yes, with your shock leader, makes sure you have it long enough so that there are a few turns around the reel spool.
The lighter the weight you can get away with, the better. A bigger weight may increase your casting distance, but the deciding factor is more to do with the weight anchoring your bait trace on the bottom where you want it. Stronger tide flows would need a heavier grip lead.
Yes, it does also matter about the casting rating of the rod. Most beach rods are rated at 100 - 200gms casting weight, although some are rated a bit heavier..
200gms is just over 7oz, so unlikely you would go above that. You need to factor in the weight of the rest of your end tackle and the bait too, especially if using a big bait.

I'd think about using a braid leader as well. About 80lb is good, gives a much smaller leader knot resulting in smoother casts

The rod is rated 200g but good that you mention bait weight.
I thought about a braid leader too, but a spool of braid is quite expensive just for a leader.

I am just trying to decide if i just go with a stronger mono leader and use the 22lbs main for now or just spend more (and wait for delivery) to get a spool of 65lbs braid and then use this straight to the rig. Can always use the 22 for a future smaller setup too.

Anyway thanks all of you, i think i got all info i need for now.

Have a good day!

The rod is rated 200g but good that you mention bait weight.
I thought about a braid leader too, but a spool of braid is quite expensive just for a leader.

I am just trying to decide if i just go with a stronger mono leader and use the 22lbs main for now or just spend more (and wait for delivery) to get a spool of 65lbs braid and then use this straight to the rig. Can always use the 22 for a future smaller setup too.

Anyway thanks all of you, i think i got all info i need for now.

Have a good day!

All sounds OK to me.

There is a store on eBay that supplies 4 strand Braid up to 100Lb BS in whatver length you need between 10 metres & 150 metres - I recently bought some for a project. Cheaper if you don't want a full spool.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately here in spain i have to rely on amazon drop off counters for online shopping but I might get a shorter cut at a local store.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately here in spain i have to rely on amazon drop off counters for online shopping but I might get a shorter cut at a local store.
Ah, sorry - forgot you were in foreign parts! 😁😁

If going with a braid leader, should i go for 100lbs instead of 80 for higher abrasion resistance or is it too much.

After reading up a bit further i think i might just stick with my 22lbs main for now as its plenty for the fish im interested in and the cast can go further with less wave and tidal influence than on a 65lbs braid main straight through.

I found a cheaper 100lbs braid with 4 strings with 300yds for 15€, is that reasonable to use as leader with my setup?

Should i get a high viz color for easier handling, do the fish care?

Back