• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Sandeel Ban

DEEP SEA JOHN

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
The Danish fishing fleet want to overturn a ban on sandeel fishing in British waters apparantly they are taking the british government to the European court i bet they win with this spineless bunch we have in charge.
from what i have been told the catch will be going to feed the large pig farming industry
i only hope its just hearsay.
D.S.J. 🦀

Last edited:
Thought the European court was nothing to do with us anymore but then of course we haven't really left the EU have we.

Same as a lot of fish species (Including Mackerel) hoovered up by the Supertrawlers, tonnes at a time.
Goes off to be processed into animal feed & fertiliser, including feed for the Scottish farmed Salmon.
Shouldn't be allowed.

Big freezer and shipping unit near me would make you wince went in there and had tonne containers full of hounds, dogs and Huss frozen ready for the whelk pots which they shipped to china etc. and not just one or two but 50 or 60 and the volume they fush that wouldn’t last long.

The Danish fishing fleet want to overturn a ban on sandeel fishing in British waters apparantly they are taking the british government to the European court i bet they win with this spineless bunch we have in charge.
from what i have been told the catch will be going to feed the large pig farming industry
D.S.J. 🦀
I too heard something about this, As was said above when will we learn....When its too late im afraid, Terribly sad if this goes ahead.

So who catches the sand eel that is frozen that us RSA are buying from tackle shops?

D.S.J. 🦀
Have you got a link to how sand eels are feeding the pig farming Industry?

So who catches the sand eel that is frozen that us RSA are buying from tackle shops?
Most of it a small vessel Seine netters specifically targeting Sandeel (and the amount of boats doing this are very small) the problem is the large numbers are getting smaller and the season for catching them in their prime is getting later and later so it clashes with the mackerel fishing catching them in their prime getting them ashore and into live tanks for grading and packing has a small window. Unfortunately with the water warming especially down our way in a few years it will become unproductive.
Mackerel will also start going the same way they will be caught but anglers won’t pay for blast frozen mackerel at the prices when you look at the price they get at market for the food chain that’s why trying different baits etc are worth trying.

Squirt down in St.Ives (Ammo) used to supply a huge amount of Sandeels and fish baits to suppliers all around the country, Last i heard they were struggling get literally any Sandeels at all.

Squirt down in St.Ives (Ammo) used to supply a huge amount of Sandeels and fish baits to suppliers all around the country, Last i heard they were struggling get literally any Sandeels at all.
Never heard anywhere of a shortage of frozen sand eels in tackle shops.

The numbers are a lot lower than there used to be always see large eel and launce sold out early and usually find only stock’s of small/med remain early into the year. It’s been like that for a while now a lot are caught later in the year now sept time and with all the storms that seem to blow through now that time of the year just limits the days they can get them. If that clashes with long lining mackerel then the eel fishing goes by the wayside.

Sadly Sandeel stocks have been hammered and in are decline by over fishing by the commercial fishing fleets so much so that England have closed the fishery and i believe Scotland is also closing the fishery to protect stocks. Although Sandeels are a vital food source for countless species of marine life from what i read its more to do with protecting the very cute looking Puffins. EU 2023 quota for Sandeel was 194,367 tonnes. Apparently the Danish are fuming.

It has been on the radio again this morning. the British government is continuing the ban of sandeel trawling indefinatly. the Danish fishermen are revolting!!!
and they are not happy as well. They are going to the european parlament? we will fight them on the beaches. along with the illegals.
👹

D.S.J.🦀

About three or four years ago they were like hens teeth. The online baits places rarely had any, shops, were selling out the morning they got any stock in. Some people in South Wales were travelling miles to get their hands on them

It's a real shame and again is the same story of when will we learn, unfortunately the people given the biggest responsibilities over the health of our marine life are also the ones that seem to care the least and neglect it.. or at least that is what it seems. If only we had control over the fisheries in our waters, and stopped these supertrawlers from making a quick buck before it disappears and they go elsewhere. From what I've heard from the old boys, our waters used to be some of the best :(

Back