• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Rods

nearly70ty

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
I often hear about shore fisher men, trying to justify the purchase of a new rod because of the lightness of it. I can understand this if your going to spend time standing in the surf holding a rod or spinning or repeatedly casting , but for shore fishing which is generally cast, wind in, rebait cast and stick it in the stand type fishing it makes no sense.
Don't get me wrong I still have and old ABU 464 and that thing is really heavy, though it has a tip to dream of, its still heavy and unwieldy to cast and retrieve, I get it out now for a bit of nostalgia, but it speands the vast majotity of it's time in the attic. For me a rod is about it's suitability to what and how you intend to fish. Castability, the tip, general feel when the reel is attached these are the important consideration for me.
I do like a bit of flex in the tip to register bites and to wind down into a nice curve in the stand looking for a drop back bites, it also helps cushion the effects of the tide which we have plenty of in the Bristol Channel. The tip has to be balanced with castability when you wind up a rod you need to stay in contact with the lead and this isn't possible with a tip that is collapsing behind you. Which might explain why so many of us have half a dozen or more rods. No rod does it all but there are a few that come close the century T800 and T900, the Zziplex m4 gt to name but a few I recently bought a Blackrock Foosa and feel that sits nicely between clean sand and a bit mixed ground, I don't do heavy ground though I thing my T800 could cope with most exept maybe hauling up sheer cliff edges, just a few thoughts on what I like in a rod. please feel free to add a few comments

All at times a bit like trying to ponder the imponderable unless something straight foreword with opinions and views differing methinks then add braid into the mix and hey presto all change.
Anyhows for what it’s worth only now fish heavy ground with fs and braid so could probably manage with x1 rod but due to planning a bit of cliff fishing x2, the conundrum been which two?😂😂😂😂🤠🫣,rods not unlike women, if you like women that is🤔 edit, if not wishing to experiment with Alvey upt cliff due to guide restrictions could happily use one rod for all my current needs and one reel with several spools.
However if fishing clean to mixed again could manage with century ss but not ideal and would probable buy another zziplex hst or m4gt🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:
I often hear about shore fisher men, trying to justify the purchase of a new rod because of the lightness of it. I can understand this if your going to spend time standing in the surf holding a rod or spinning or repeatedly casting , but for shore fishing which is generally cast, wind in, rebait cast and stick it in the stand type fishing it makes no sense.
Don't get me wrong I still have and old ABU 464 and that thing is really heavy, though it has a tip to dream of, its still heavy and unwieldy to cast and retrieve, I get it out now for a bit of nostalgia, but it speands the vast majotity of it's time in the attic. For me a rod is about it's suitability to what and how you intend to fish. Castability, the tip, general feel when the reel is attached these are the important consideration for me.
I do like a bit of flex in the tip to register bites and to wind down into a nice curve in the stand looking for a drop back bites, it also helps cushion the effects of the tide which we have plenty of in the Bristol Channel. The tip has to be balanced with castability when you wind up a rod you need to stay in contact with the lead and this isn't possible with a tip that is collapsing behind you. Which might explain why so many of us have half a dozen or more rods. No rod does it all but there are a few that come close the century T800 and T900, the Zziplex m4 gt to name but a few I recently bought a Blackrock Foosa and feel that sits nicely between clean sand and a bit mixed ground, I don't do heavy ground though I thing my T800 could cope with most exept maybe hauling up sheer cliff edges, just a few thoughts on what I like in a rod. please feel free to add a few comments
I have an Abu 464 in the back of my shed on a rack somewhere, it was fine way back when but things have moved on with carbon fibre.

My heroes used to fish with the Abu 464 thought they could cast to the moon and certainly caught plenty codling when distance helped at times coupled with the finest and fattest black lug and seastreak reels.

My heroes used to fish with the Abu 464 thought they could cast to the moon and certainly caught plenty codling when distance helped at times coupled with the finest and fattest black lug and seastreak reels.
I had an Intrepic Pirate reel to go on my 464, in those days fish were plenty. Used fresh lug (blow) and peelers.

I had an Intrepic Pirate reel to go on my 464, in those days fish were plenty. Used fresh lug (blow) and peelers.
Recall mid sixties though to young to fish really walking on pier with parent after a blow with folks having into teens of codling at their feet and in daylight, seemed to be just the norm along with still a smattering of Scarborough reels been used.
not a big fish venue though with six or so pounds been big.

I must of had my 464 in the seventies paired with a Abu 7000, I thought I was the muts nuts with them. As already said the 464 cast very well, but whilst the tip was great to fish with, timming had to be spot on as the tip was considerably more flexable than the mid and but sections.

My other reel was an Abu 5500c late 60's multi, it still works fine even today. Used to wash and oil it after each trip.

Was/is the 464 nice to use now having advantage of hindsight seem to recall it was a badge of office for many that caught fish consistently and how does it stand up today?edit, suspect would catch as many fish as any other given the chance but maybe a biarch to use 🤔

Last edited:
Back