• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Prawns...

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Not talking of the shop bought prawns from abroad, but does anyone use live prawns or even frozen/fresh deads from the local shores here and if so to what success? Hear from some they're a top bait in areas, and are plentiful in the rockpools along the area I fish so collection would be easy. Any info or advice much appreciated, would be interesting to hear some thoughts before I experiment with them, tight lines,

I've tried some frozen ones from local supermarkets, shelled and unshelled. Not had any luck.
We were out pier fishing last year and a couple of guys were putting baited Prawn nets down. The bigger Prawns they were catching were near 100mm long, so did think of getting a net and trying some live ones for bait. Haven't done it yet.

I have used live ones for fishing, caught as well.

I've tried some frozen ones from local supermarkets, shelled and unshelled. Not had any luck.
We were out pier fishing last year and a couple of guys were putting baited Prawn nets down. The bigger Prawns they were catching were near 100mm long, so did think of getting a net and trying some live ones for bait. Haven't done it yet.

Yes mate, been meaning to do it for a while a now and will get round to it soon, especially with the price of bait etc.

What did you catch mate and how did you present theM? Float, ledger etc.
used live ones, 3rd segment up from tail with a float and caught bass and bream.
Also from a boat and drifted them down tide.

Freeline live ones in the river for bass or float fish them in the river, surprising how long you can keep them alive in a bucket of airated river water.

Great bait for most fish large prawn a goid back up bait for the hounds no need to be live just vacuum pack them and off you go. Live tail hooked prawn whipped on well a killer for thornies used to be a go to bait for them around salcome. Blacks or rag tipped off with a small prawn a good alternative for flats , bream etc. can be overlooked at times but underrated.

Great bait for most fish large prawn a goid back up bait for the hounds no need to be live just vacuum pack them and off you go. Live tail hooked prawn whipped on well a killer for thornies used to be a go to bait for them around salcome. Blacks or rag tipped off with a small prawn a good alternative for flats , bream etc. can be overlooked at times but underrated.
Thanks mate appreciate it, look forward to giving it a go and hopefully, fingers crossed, will result in a lower number of dogs when ledgering compared to fish baits... tight lines,

Not talking of the shop bought prawns from abroad, but does anyone use live prawns or even frozen/fresh deads from the local shores here and if so to what success? Hear from some they're a top bait in areas, and are plentiful in the rockpools along the area I fish so collection would be easy. Any info or advice much appreciated, would be interesting to hear some thoughts before I experiment with them, tight lines,
I use frozen prawns from Morrisons, mainly to catch Plaice on the Skerries bank, as it generally accounts for the better stamp of fish. On the banks, prawn tipped with squid out fishes almost any other bait.

Also had Turbot, Gurnard, Mackerel, Scad, and Dogs whilst Plaice fishing.

There are probably 5 or 6 boxes of prawn in the bait freezer.

I use frozen prawns from Morrisons, mainly to catch Plaice on the Skerries bank, as it generally accounts for the better stamp of fish. On the banks, prawn tipped with squid out fishes almost any other bait.

Remember a day out on the plaice couple years ago, rag tipped with raw shop brought prawns outfished lug for them, think we had just over 70 to the boat between 3 of us. Thinking of putting 2-3 elasticated on a pennel with the last one tail hooked for the plaice. Will let you know how I get on (y) Don't know whether you've used them already, but the frozen razors are also great value from morrisons, when fresh bait hard to get use them for gilts and over clean ground after a blow, tight lines,

What size prawns do you use and are they the raw ones? Cheers.

Back