• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Poole Quay, 18th July

cap'nhaddock

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
It was Scorchio.

I hadn't fished Poole Quay for several years, I've heard of some different species being caught so I though it was time for a visit.

Why on a Sunday ? Because there is a chance of free parking all day if you know where and get there early. I find it odd that the thieving council lets parking revenue slip through their grasping hands, I wonder how much longer it will be free?

I got there early and got my free parking, found a spot free of tied up ferries/pleasure craft and caught constantly until I got bored with unhooking fish .
I made the trip down to the other end of the quay by the old lifeboat station; it was low tide and I could see tiny flatfish, 50p size, in the shallow water, I found a bit more depth nearer the quay and caught dozens of Black Gobies and Ballan and Corkwing Wrasse. There was a shoal of baitfish, could they be the Anchovies that are caught in the harbour on occasion ? No, some patience with the sabikis got a couple for inspection, not Anchovies but Sprats, No. 31 in the hunt.

SAM_1717.JPG

More patience and yet more Black Gobies finally saw a Sand Goby swing ashore, the target at that spot and No. 32

Other anglers fishing the deeper channel from the main quay were catching Black Bream along with paddle boarders, they are getting to be the jaywalkers of the sea; most have no concept of sea angling, ferries reversing out of berths or of much else relating to their safety.

Species caught by me, Corkwing, Ballan, Goldsinney Wrasse, Black, Rock and Sand Gobies, Pollack, Tompot Blennies and Sprat.

A TSF member Marktheshark arrived for a boat trip from the pontoon and introduced himself, good to meet you, hope your trip was successful.

Back