• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

PENN Werfare (BRAID) please help

Chris1386

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Hi I hope I found the right topic section I’m looking at getting some braid for my PENN Werfare boat rod with multiplier reel combo, not used braid before was wondering if I should go with a 40lb line or would this be too much for the rod/reel.

only used mono before but was gonna run with a leader for mono, I was unsure of the length of braid I would need to buy too was gonna get a 40lb 50m, it is just for some sea fishing mostly dog fish, pollock the occasional tope.

any help would be great thx.

Hi I hope I found the right topic section I’m looking at getting some braid for my PENN Werfare boat rod with multiplier reel combo, not used braid before was wondering if I should go with a 40lb line or would this be too much for the rod/reel.

only used mono before but was gonna run with a leader for mono, I was unsure of the length of braid I would need to buy too was gonna get a 40lb 50m, it is just for some sea fishing mostly dog fish, pollock the occasional tope.

any help would be great thx.
Welcome to the Madhouse Chris. 👍👍

40Lb Braid should be OK - no doubt there will be more comprehensive advice than I can offer from some of the Boat crew on here.
If you're going to spool a Multiplier, I would have thought you'll need at least 200 metres, maybe more, and even then, you might need some Mono backing under the Braid to ensure you don't run out of line if a Tope or similar takes off with your hook.

It might be an idea to go by the capacity of the reel as stated on the spool.

Welcome to the Madhouse Chris. 👍👍

40Lb Braid should be OK - no doubt there will be more comprehensive advice than I can offer from some of the Boat crew on here.
If you're going to spool a Multiplier, I would have thought you'll need at least 200 metres, maybe more, and even then, you might need some Mono backing under the Braid to ensure you don't run out of line if a Tope or similar takes off with your hook.

It might be an idea to go by the capacity of the reel as stated on the spool.
Tbh gonna sound like a right newbie but I have always borrowed rods never had my own and NEVER put the braid on myself watched a few YouTube videos looked easy enough but now I’m doubting myself haha.
The rods new I got it off Amazon would I be better returning it and getting something more simple?

The Amazon link for the combo 👍🏻
Thx for your reply bud much appreciated.

Tbh gonna sound like a right newbie but I have always borrowed rods never had my own and NEVER put the braid on myself watched a few YouTube videos looked easy enough but now I’m doubting myself haha.
The rods new I got it off Amazon would I be better returning it and getting something more simple?

The Amazon link for the combo 👍🏻
Thx for your reply bud much appreciated.
That should be OK - I quite like Penn gear, but I don't Boat fish.
A bit concerned that there is no weight rating for the Rod, and very little detail for the Reel. Amazon reviews for it not great either.
I don't use Amazon - I can never find what I'm looking for! I usually find there is more info on eBay, or buy from a tackle store.
As I said, you will need a lot more than 50 metres of Braid!

Back