• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

No tackle shops in Falmouth ?

The Third Earl

Reaction score
Passing through Falmouth we stopped so I could but some frozen bait to fish over the weekend . Cant believe it, no answer to any calls to shops listed on the ‘ net’ . Went to a couple that I had used before, both closed . Tourist information said there arent any except Trago Mills . Went there but as expected they were useless .

Does anybody know where I can buy some Frozen Razor and : or crab ?

Dave

Passing through Falmouth we stopped so I could but some frozen bait to fish over the weekend . Cant believe it, no answer to any calls to shops listed on the ‘ net’ . Went to a couple that I had used before, both closed . Tourist information said there arent any except Trago Mills . Went there but as expected they were useless .

Dave
Doesn't seem to be much about in Falmouth Dave. I've never seen bait at Trago anyway. I think there are still some tackle shops in the Camborne/Redruth area, but probably a bit far down for you. Your best bet might be Razor from Morrisons. Can't help with Crabs!
Morrisons stores in Newquay, Bodmin & Liskeard.

EDIT: Looks Lke Jims have got a store in Bodmin too, plus Redruth, Camborne & Penzance. Not sure if they do bait but might be worth a call.
I've bought tackle online from them before and had good service.

Last edited:

Dave
I don't know if there is a Morrisons about They sell quality frozen razor

Thanks for the tips guys .
Went to Morrisons in Redruth this morning .
No razors . Tried the tackle shop in Redruth , just had a bit of scabby mackerel and old squid .
I have driven down from Padstein this morning thinking I could pick up some bait down this end . 🤬
We are staying in Helford for a week then home again .
My bad because there are a couple of places that have frozen or fresh up there as you say . Should have stocked up before we set off .
I have squid with me but really wanted crab or razor for the Gilts.
Looks like anglers in the south of Cornwall are badly served with tackle shops , but its probably the same all over the UK . The internet has killed the tackle trade.

Looks like I will be putting out squid for whatever comes along andchucking a few lures about .

Dave

Good to know as I'm heading down there in August for a week. Will stock up with some frozen bait and bring it down with me. Unless I just lure fish 🤔🤔

Could try lowen chai in st Austell or carbon downs garden centre just outside Truro. Bit of a wilderness down there unless anyone else local knows somewhere else. Not been down that way for a while.

Dave
not been falmouth fishing for a while, but bait and tackle
shop used to be on the hill opposite trago. not easy to park.

not been falmouth fishing for a while, but bait and tackle
shop used to be on the hill opposite trago. not easy to park.
I think that was called the Tackle Box Eves - sadly shut down some time ago. There was a thread about it on here back in August 2021.

Lown chai in St. Austell a good bet (y) Found their lug of good quality and plenty frozen bait macks/squid/herring but didn't ask about crab or razor, maybe give em a ring? Always get my razor from morrisons great value. I have an idea though, make a couple prawn traps out of 2L plastic bottles (good videos online for this, is very easy) use your manky mack/squid for bait, leave overnight over a quay/pontoon or somewhere and retrieve in morning when going for the gilts, live prawn nicked in the tail would imo seem a better bait than your current options, live prawns on a pop up rig is what I'm gonna spend time experimenting with for them this year. Al,

Well guys, went across to Lizard Tackle and bait today ( many thanks Reevsy) Wow has that shop got some stock for a small place, the owner had replied to my e.mail and had the bait I wanted so all is good now , just need a fish or two .

As said, tackle shops are a scarce commodity down at this neck of the woods ,do not believe what is posted on Yell.com, or similar places because they are not updated, several shops closed down for some time but still shown as trading .🤬

Lizard Tackle is worth a trip out, e.mail first to make sure that he has what you want .

Dave .

Most of us (me included)are guilty of using on line tackle shops instead of our local ones,so causing them to close.!!!
I usually buy my fishing gear online, but try to buy from local(ish) shops where possible who have an online store. I've bought stuff from Lizard Bait & tackle, a reel from Jim's Online, and a fishing coat from a tackle shop here - was going to buy that online but WIfey was paying and she insisted I went & tried it on!

Plymouth Angling centre moved premises a while ago into a shop only 50 metres from one of our bigger Tesco stores, so often pop in there for a browse.

Newtown angling Center near praa sands - but further along but they’ll have an array of bait but no crab.

Low tide any beach with rocks and rock pools 40 minutes and you’ll collect plenty

Newtown angling Center near praa sands - but further along but they’ll have an array of bait but no crab.

Low tide any beach with rocks and rock pools 40 minutes and you’ll collect plenty

Welcome to the Madhouse Nick! 👍👍

I usually buy my fishing gear online, but try to buy from local(ish) shops where possible who have an online store. I've bought stuff from Lizard Bait & tackle, a reel from Jim's Online, and a fishing coat from a tackle shop here - was going to buy that online but WIfey was paying and she insisted I went & tried it on!

Plymouth Angling centre moved premises a while ago into a shop only 50 metres from one of our bigger Tesco stores, so often pop in there for a browse.
seaview at faraday mill has also shut. shame, he was my closest.

How long has he been going down there.
Used to go to Kuggar (near them) many times for a few years and never knew of it then.

Back