• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

newbie questions..

martin_b

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
OK returning to sea fishing after a break of about 30 years. Im newly retired and I can't go fly fishing every day, so fancy a return to the sea..
So my questions are..
I want to start fishing early AM.. Pre 8am.. Id rather start on a harbour wall ( Brighton, Shoreham area) can i get access early AM?
and any local bait shops open or do i need to get frozen?
cheers
Martin

Local tackle shops are your first port of call Martin, they will give you the best advice on where/when to fish and best bait to use.. (y)

Ian.

Appreciate what you say, but my plan would be to start fishing around dawn, home around 9am I usually get up between 4 and 5 am! So not sure I'll ever get to a retail shop.

Go into a tackle shop the day before then, collect bait and ask some questions. ;)

Ian.

Appreciate what you say, but my plan would be to start fishing around dawn, home around 9am I usually get up between 4 and 5 am! So not sure I'll ever get to a retail shop.
Can you not go for fresh bait and a catch up of what is going on the day before you intend to fish?

OK returning to sea fishing after a break of about 30 years. Im newly retired and I can't go fly fishing every day, so fancy a return to the sea..
So my questions are..
I want to start fishing early AM.. Pre 8am.. Id rather start on a harbour wall ( Brighton, Shoreham area) can i get access early AM?
and any local bait shops open or do i need to get frozen?
cheers
Martin
I watch fishing with Paul on you tube and he fishes Shoreham a bit. I have seen him wait for the access gates to be opened. Trouble is I have not got a clue when that is.

I watch fishing with Paul on you tube and he fishes Shoreham a bit. I have seen him wait for the access gates to be opened. Trouble is I have not got a clue when that is.
Also I understand you have to be a member to fish the Shoreham Arms. I tried contacting them via face ache and still waiting a sensible response regarding the waiting list. Don't hold your breath imo. Best get your fresh bait the day before, telephone the shop to order is best.

I think as far as securing bait/advice goes, you’d just have to visit the tackle shop a day or two before.

I doubt any piers would be open that early either, though I believe Shoreham west arm has around the clock access for members, but as @Beach says, it looks like they’re not taking on any new members at the moment.
The east arm never used to be membership controlled but that might have changed.
Not my area, just going by what I’ve read on forums etc.

Tbh the beaches along that coast are all easy access and mostly near parking so if it’s early doors you want, that’s probably your best option.

I think as far as securing bait/advice goes, you’d just have to visit the tackle shop a day or two before.

Or your local Morrisons (if you have one) for Mackerel, Herring or shellfish for bait.

I doubt any piers would be open that early either, though I believe Shoreham west arm has around the clock access for members, but as @Beach says, it looks like they’re not taking on any new members at the moment.
The east arm never used to be membership controlled but that might have changed.
Not my area, just going by what I’ve read on forums etc.

Tbh the beaches along that coast are all easy access and mostly near parking so if it’s early doors you want, that’s probably your best option.
The East Arm at Shoreham also comes under the membership. I would give them a miss and head to Brighton Marina, free parking in the multi story. The tackle box opposite Mc D's sell lug but best to order it a couple of days before going.

They should call you Henry, you know what I mean Harry :ROFLMAO:
I think you will find that was "Brut". Our Henry used, splash it all over.. :D

Ian.

Local tackle shop to hove or shoreham is lagoon bait they are very helpful all local anglers good bait there and massive selection of tackle

Back