• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice How many rigs or rig spares?

Thrasher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Okay so you have built your rigs but how many do you take?

Over clean ground I imagine that losses will be at a minimum, but over mixed and rough ground it will increase substantially.

So do you tie enough rigs to last you a session in the rough stuff or take some spares to build new if you run out? Maybe just hooks in case they get blunt?

What do you do?

Take enough rigs if I have them, but also have a range of hook sizes, few spools of line and box of bits.
I generally just replace snoods/hooks as required when out.... But like the option to tie something different if needed.

I managed to pick up a good fishing bag months ago that came with 6 compartment boxes around 10" x 6" and 2 smaller ones, so I sat down and put a selection of rig bits tidily into 2 of the big ones, hooks in one of the smaller ones, plus I've got other boxes for lures, artificial baits, weights etc. The bag is now bursting at the seams, and I carry far too much stuff. I've also been bad and have been buying too many other bits lately like cascade swivels, SRT springs, Trident hangovers & termalinks! I've also made up around 20 rigs which I've put into 4" x 4" self-seal bags that Wifey got me from work - I asked her if she could get me a few, and she came home with a pack of 1000! I seriously need to rationalise my kit, make more rigs, and carry less rig making gear.

I managed to pick up a good fishing bag months ago that came with 6 compartmen7t boxes around 10" x 6" and 2 smaller ones, so I sat down and put a selection of rig bits tidily into 2 of the big ones, hooks in one of the smaller ones, plus I've got other boxes for lures, artificial baits, weights etc. The bag is now bursting at the seams, and I carry far too much stuff. I've also been bad and have been buying too many other bits lately like cascade swivels, SRT springs, Trident hangovers & termalinks! I've also made up around 20 rigs which I've put into 4" x 4" self-seal bags that Wifey got me from work - I asked her if she could get me a few, and she came home with a pack of 1000! I seriously need to rationalise my kit, make more rigs, and carry less rig making gear.
That is my thinking Trampster as I probably carry too much as it is and a lot of our good marks are a fair yomp.

I don't make up rigs prior to going fishing. I take enough hooks, leads, swivels, beads, reel of leader line etc etc.

usually have a number of pulley 'frames' ready and fixed pats ready just need to add hooklenghts ...clean ground atm as no travel so rarely lose any just check the hooks as I'm going and replace when needed

That is my thinking Trampster as I probably carry too much as it is and a lot of our good marks are a fair yomp.
Oh for the days when I was capable of a 'Yomp'! Somebody kindly gave me an old but as new Shakey seatbox a while ago, which is now full of spare tackle, reels etc., so having got those storage crates now, I'm gonna empty the seatbox, get some trays for it, and transfer my tackle in there, having a sort out in the process. The fishing bag was a good buy but I've put far too much 'stuff' in it! I've had a good set of sack trucks with wide inflatable tyres for years, so no carrying a heavy seatbox - it will go on that! ??

I don't make up rigs prior to going fishing. I take enough hooks, leads, swivels, beads, reel of leader line etc etc.
Is that because you decide on what rig you want to use when you get there, or to be able to make a rig appropriate to conditions?

Most of my fishing is on a boat, over simular ground for simular fish so the bag contains most of what I need.
A rig wallet with various base rigs (pulley/flappers/sliders) and tied hooks in all sizes i'd need, 4 - 8/0.
Some spools of line accross the range for snoods and leaders, reels needed and 1 spare.
Then if I am doing a comp I always tie specific rigs before going afloat.
Then if taretting specific species from the norm (Tope/bass etc) then I'll tie specifics for them prior.
My main bag is in a state that I can pick it up and have all I need for a day afloat for "normal species fishing"

Match type rigs:
Size 4 to 2/0 I would have 6 of each in the rig wallet.
Cod/skate rigs: 2/0 to 10/0 again 6 of each in the rig wallet.

I always take way too much stuff with me...never know what to leave behind. Usually have a few 3 hook flappy things and a couple of pennel rigs ready made. Trouble is all my gear is kept in a large daiwa seat box so that goes straight in the back of the car...with around 7kg of weights plus spare reels etc etc etc. Definitely need to streamline....walking on a shingle beach is nigh on impossible with all the crap I carry.

if shore that i know 15 made rigs ,if new place may be 60 ready made up rigs , boat full kit all the time tope rigs 20 rigs , bottom rigs may be 60 rigs + different hook sizes

I've tried to condense my kit over the years and now carry what I think I will need in a worst case scenario....
Suffolk/Norfolk beaches I usually just take a 2l bottle with the top cut off, 6 rigs (2 2 hook clipped, 2 pulley, 2 long and low) and 6 leads in there. Usually keep some backup leads in the van, and always have my bits box (1l tupperware) which has hooks, leader, scissors, etc.... in my bag.
If fishing from the rocks in Wales and I know it's going to be snaggy or a new mark, I'll take my rig wallet with 6-8 pulley rigs and 6-8 long and low plus a couple of 2 hook flappers, aswell as my usual bits box incase I want to try something different. Usually have about 10-12 leads too. If it's a clean beach or fishing onto sand from the rocks, I use the 2l bottle approach.
Boat, I have a small seat box, that has my entire boat kit in it including all the bits to make whatever rigs I need as and when. Though usually just fish a running ledger of 2/3 hook flapper.

Oh forgot, a spare reel just in case the one I am using goes belly up.

I always take way too much stuff with me...never know what to leave behind. Usually have a few 3 hook flappy things and a couple of pennel rigs ready made. Trouble is all my gear is kept in a large daiwa seat box so that goes straight in the back of the car...with around 7kg of weights plus spare reels etc etc etc. Definitely need to streamline....walking on a shingle beach is nigh on impossible with all the crap I carry.
I am kind of the same with a Beta box!

I've tried to condense my kit over the years and now carry what I think I will need in a worst case scenario....
Suffolk/Norfolk beaches I usually just take a 2l bottle with the top cut off, 6 rigs (2 2 hook clipped, 2 pulley, 2 long and low) and 6 leads in there. Usually keep some backup leads in the van, and always have my bits box (1l tupperware) which has hooks, leader, scissors, etc.... in my bag.
If fishing from the rocks in Wales and I know it's going to be snaggy or a new mark, I'll take my rig wallet with 6-8 pulley rigs and 6-8 long and low plus a couple of 2 hook flappers, aswell as my usual bits box incase I want to try something different. Usually have about 10-12 leads too. If it's a clean beach or fishing onto sand from the rocks, I use the 2l bottle approach.
Boat, I have a small seat box, that has my entire boat kit in it including all the bits to make whatever rigs I need as and when. Though usually just fish a running ledger of 2/3 hook flapper.
I like your approach.

What do you mean by a long and low?

Back