• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Help - advice needed, rods and reels

unispheryk

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi everyone, new member here.

I'm sure this is a question that does the rounds a few times around here, but I'd really appreciate some help.

I want to slowly start delving into the sport, and introduce my 11 yr old son to it as well. However, the last time I did any fishing I was about his age, more than three decades ago. So, assume I know nothing.

I have to say that all the equipment available is very very confusing for me at the moment. Obviously any gear discussion will need some information on what locations or what kind of fishing I'm planning on, but at this point I don't really know, and I guess that will come with experience and finding preferences. Probably will start using bait rather than lures or floats.

I live close to Oxford, which means no shores around me, but willing to travel. Most likely will be going to the south coast or west shores.

Now for the first confusing part - reels and rods. Without knowing exactly what locations or what kind of fishing we'll be doing, I understand that it is very hard to provide much advice, but would really appreciate any help. For reels, I'm looking at the following options, but very willing to listen to other advice:
  • Shimano Ultegra XSE
  • Daiwa 23 Emblem Surf 45 SCW QD
  • Penn Surfblaster Longcast
Is there one of these you would recommend? Any others? Would these be suitable for the majority of situations? Would I be able to use them for freshwater fishing, if I ever think about going that way as well?

As for rods, I'm even more confused. Would something like the Daiwa Sandstorm Surf Fishing Rod be suitable? Any others?

Aiming for a total budget of around £300, but can stretch if the benefit is there.

Thanks in advance. Any help for this newbie is very much appreciated.

Looks like a wee day out to Bristol might sort you out. There seems to be a few shops that sell sea fishing gear and they will be able to kit you out with all you need.
As for the use in freshwater the reels will be limited dependant on what you might be fishing for, they are a bid reel.

Hi there thanks for the add reference you did and reel question. I use a Penn tidal 13ft (£120)
For reels I use a Penn 8000 Surfblaster ( £100 approx) loaded with 20lb mainline with 80 lb shock leader, all monofilaments.

Back