• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Worth a soaking.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
It’s been a few of weeks now since we had some decent weather, and yet I’ve somehow managed to keep catching 🤷‍♂️, the weather gods really stepped it up this week though 😠.

I had to give the fishing a miss on Tuesday, when a night of strong onshore winds at the mark I had planned to fish made for some pretty rough conditions, and though the winds had turned through 180° by the evening, it was still too rough to fish there ☹️. 24 hours later and the forecast of rain all night wasn’t very appealing, but the winds were still blowing offshore at the mark, so I decided to take a chance that the conditions there would be fishable 🤞.

With grey skies, fresh gusty winds and sheets of rain constantly sweeping along the coast 🌧️, all combined with water the colour of weak, milky tea, I found myself asking "what the hell am I doing here?" 🤔 And after over 3 hours of fishing, with nothing to show for my efforts but 1 lost fish and what I thought at the time was a foul-hooked baby cuttlefish, but which might actually be a bobtail squid 😳,
Bobtail Squid.jpg

I was resigned to the fact that my catching streak was about to come to an end 😭.

The fishing gods love a trier though 😉, and just when I thought it was game over, the schoolies turned up, with 3 caught in half an hour saving the blank yet again and making the soaking all worthwhile 😊.
Bass 107 2024.jpg

Bass 108 2024.jpg

Bass 109 2024.jpg

Thankfully, conditions were a lot drier and brighter by Thursday evening ☀️, but the cool wind was still blowing, and it had turned 90° from Wednesday night. This meant there was a decent surf rolling in 🌊, giving conditions I haven't actually fished the mark in before.

Despite this, my worry about the water clarity proved to be unfounded and the water was slightly clearer as it had been 24 hours earlier 👌.

After moving around a bit, I finally found the fish and once more the blank was beaten with a little schoolie 👍.
Bass 110 2024.jpg

Things went quiet again after this but as soon as the tide turned, and the light began to fade, the fish switched on again 😁. In the next half hour I caught another 2 little 'uns, but I also missed countless hits, probably more schoolies, before they went quiet again.
Bass 111 2024.jpg

Another move resulted in bass number 4 of the evening,
Bass 113 2024.jpg

before I called it a night and headed home, soaked this time from the surf rather than the rain 😄, to plan my next outing where hopefully I can keep my catching steak going for another week.

Nice one Andy. Some lovely Bass, great pics too. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Thanks for the replies gents (y).

Number wise it's turning into a great season, but rather than the bass getting bigger as I'd hoped, they're actually getting smaller! 🤦‍♂️

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back