• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice What would be the better rough ground FISHING rod..

mojocvh

TSF Supporter
Reaction score
..between a lightly used and stored Mk1 Apollo and a M4gt/M4evo...

In a fit of [unusual] enthusiasm for a 30% knackered 64 yr old I have actually managed to get pendulum casting again with my profile evo.

No, not really a distance thing but a fishing swing and flick/toss but it is easier that the 100% full on rotation OTG [I'd like to keep the 30% at that]

The Apollo is a belter of a rough ground rod esp it's tip which was designed NOT to rip the hook out of fishes mouths but still have the backbone to skull drag. But it's a bit thick and heavy,

So looking for perhaps a reasonably light, shortish, strong rod to toss any collection of whatever I can find as disposable r/b weights...

The M4 range are strong fishing rods; I'm just looking for any opinions on the suitability of M4 evo/gt as rough ground FISHING rods.

Thanks.

How rough is rough?
Dense kelp forests?
Boulder's?
Rocky scars?

Or is it just the ability to skull drag?
Reason I ask is over broken kelpy ground in Norway, I can happily use primo synchro's or F1s coupled with 20Lb line

Where as sometimes on Dungeness point, it could be an Anubis and 80Lb braid just to drag up the ledge and through the snags

If a rod can be cast 250 yards plus, it’ll handle any rough ground. I used to fish some proper snotty ground on Alderney with a meta-lite concept.

If a rod can be cast 250 yards plus, it’ll handle any rough ground. I used to fish some proper snotty ground on Alderney with a meta-lite concept.
Obviously your tight jeans has cut off the oxygen supply to your brain :LOL: you will be better once you have had that visit to the smallest room in the house

Wouldn't fancy it with a 2500 ptx🤣

I have an AFAW Six and Bait 13ft Multiplayer guides. I either use a SL30SH or luckily a reel left to me from a fishing mate no longer with us an Abu 9000c (Twin speed - although 4.4:1 in high speed the diameter of the spool is so big it will out do most modern reels due I it's diameter of spool) both loaded with 30lbs Berkeley big game, straight through for such situations. You will loose terminal gear such is the nature of the ground you are fishing. You will be using big baits and a 200 yrd cast will put you in a whole heap of trouble.

Obviously your tight jeans has cut off the oxygen supply to your brain :LOL: you will be better once you have had that visit to the smallest room in the house
There’s so much bullshit about needing scaffold poles to fish rough ground.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back