• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

What weight on feathers?

Skutter

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
What weight lure / lead do folk recommend at the end of a string when feathering for mackerel from a boat with the boat just drifting? 3oz - 10oz+?
Have heard if you go too light then the fish end up balling it all up is that the case?

I use 2oz if casting with lure rod standing.

And if on boat anything up to 5oz depends on how fast you want to drop, and where we are water is not deep.

Would not use a 10oz with 5 feathers, christ your arm would be aching

Just remembered a thing about how to learn fishing.

As a kid of around 10 or 11 would be out on a boat in Isle of man and would be using a feathered trace and old type of boat rod and large wooden reel with about 300yds of 60lb line on, no drag on the reel just slow down with your hand.
Let line drop to bottom and wind up a bit, bloke seen that i was waiting for it to hit bottom much longer than shold be and line coming to an end on the reel.
Wind in he said feathers have been taken on the drop.
Lesson learned pdq

What weight lure / lead do folk recommend at the end of a string when feathering for mackerel from a boat with the boat just drifting? 3oz - 10oz+?
Have heard if you go too light then the fish end up balling it all up is that the case?
Depends on depth of water and tide flow, also remember to use a lead that doesn't spin, like a cannon ball or aquapedo

I generally start off with 6oz in 60ft, and go up to 8oz if the tide is running hard.

If I am out fishing the wrecks in 200ft, then 10oz / 12oz will be needed.

In my opinion you get more takes on feathers if they are fished vertically rather than streaming down at an angle, so I use whatever size lead will do that . It also means you have fewer tangles with other people on the boat. One Swansea skipper used to tell us to use larger leads because of the "fizz" when you drop down at speed.

Just got back. Boat wasn't full so a bit of sideways drifting wasn't an issue. 3oz - 4oz weight got to the bottom which was between 30 and 45m for the most part but could notice the tide pulling it. Caught some decent fish and arm is tired after a good few hours.

Depends on tide & speed of drift, also the "cabin boys" at anchor, or those on the leading side of the drift should use a heavier lead to prevent their tackle drifting back in to those on the trailing side, that's just good manners.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back