• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

What set up would you use.

Dutchman

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Just to explain;
I got braid from reel tied to swivel, and mono with a loop connected to other side of swivel with around 5 ft of mono to redgill, i then link the leg swivel by using the clip and then attach the 2 oz lead.
This was the only way i could do for the easiest after i lost a similar type of set up (by similar i mean main line then weighted (somehow) swivel then rig)

How/What would you use as a easy set up similar to that?

1719946073205.png

Mostly used bubble floats or bombardas although these days I use the small SG sandeels more
Thanks, I am trying to get the redgill deep down that is why i was asking.

If i need a lure higher up i will use a jig head with eel body

Try drop shot rigging too👍
Would not that rig when lure fishing with redgill have the weight at the back and the lure on a short length.

I was looking to keep the lure at the end of trace/rig

In that case that rig is fine. I'd use similar for pollack with fire tails
Was just thinking if anything tidier, as i did have a better one last year but could not recall how it was exactly

Was just thinking if anything tidier, as i did have a better one last year but could not recall how it was exactly
I'd swap the trace line and the lead the link over so the line is tied to the middle eye and use a smaller clip for the lead. Nowt wrong with using a running ledger either

Agree with Valley. I’d also use a rubbing leader personally, as braid isn’t terribly robust

As said, a running ledger with a barrel lead (on a rubbing leader) would work too

Just to explain;
I got braid from reel tied to swivel, and mono with a loop connected to other side of swivel with around 5 ft of mono to redgill, i then link the leg swivel by using the clip and then attach the 2 oz lead.
This was the only way i could do for the easiest after i lost a similar type of set up (by similar i mean main line then weighted (somehow) swivel then rig)

View attachment 66435
Where are you fishing @Dutchman, didnt think there was anywhere around Barmouth you would need that rig, be lucky to find 10 or 12 foot of water around by you :unsure:

Where are you fishing @Dutchman, didnt think there was anywhere around Barmouth you would need that rig, be lucky to find 10 or 12 foot of water around by you :unsure:
On the point with that rig.

Cast out towards Fairbourne after about 5 seconds lead will hit bottom, then retrieve into gulley (well deeper than 12ft)

And after tide starts running the 2oz weight just moves 90deg

Also i use that rig with the redgill even on shallow ground, just to get the distance.

On the point with that rig.

Cast out towards Fairbourne after about 5 seconds lead will hit bottom, then retrieve into gulley (well deeper than 12ft)

And after tide starts running the 2oz weight just moves 90deg

Also i use that rig with the redgill even on shallow ground, just to get the distance.
So your fishing into mouth of estuary over low 🤔

Would not that rig when lure fishing with redgill have the weight at the back and the lure on a short length.

I was looking to keep the lure at the end of trace/rig
That reply doesn't make sense to me....

Lots of ways of presenting lures. Situation dependent. I'd go 'weedless' style personally and if using flying collar rig etc attach any weight with a form of rotten bottom if your ground is snaggy and you don't need to blast the cast....hope that makes sense

Lots of ways of presenting lures. Situation dependent. I'd go 'weedless' style personally and if using flying collar rig etc attach any weight with a form of rotten bottom if your ground is snaggy and you don't need to blast the cast....hope that makes sense
Will have a look at what you say and get back

Thanks for advice, but without a spec diagram i am struggling with seeing what exactly you are saying as looking on internet all is different.

As the op, for that lure i fish it at the end and weight is where i said, i was just looking for a easy one fit part to do the job as i can not figure out what simple thing i had before!

Loads of ways of rigging is what I was getting at Dutch. Think, experiment, try again and then rethink. If you get what I mean. What works for a particular lure at long range isn't necessarily the right presentation at closer ranges and vice versa. Where are you targeting the fish on this mark?

Agree with Valley. I’d also use a rubbing leader personally, as braid isn’t terribly robust

As said, a running ledger with a barrel lead (on a rubbing leader) would work too
Similar here for Redgills and similar lures where a bit of casting weight is required.
Barrel lead between 1 to 4oz (depending on the mark & lure) on a 300mm bit of heavy line (around 60Lb), bead to protect the knot, swivel to a length of mono or flourocarbon trace (around 20Lb) with the Redgill or lure on the end.
If I need to use a really long trace, I sometimes use a Cascade swivel just below the barrel lead, and I can clip the lure to it for casting. The cascade swivel is only carrying the lure, so doesn't need to be huge.

Loads of ways of rigging is what I was getting at Dutch. Think, experiment, try again and then rethink. If you get what I mean. What works for a particular lure at long range isn't necessarily the right presentation at closer ranges and vice versa. Where are you targeting the fish on this mark?
I have caught mostly in the channel at that location with redgill or jighead, but mostly at depth rather than near the top.

From that point going in the direction out to sea there is not a lot of depth, but again have caught with same set up.

Just to explain;

View attachment 66435
I'd go braid to shock leader/rubbing trace, with the clip & lead on the end & use a boom of some sort directly above the weight with the mono to the gill.
With your set up I'd fix the lead where you have the mono, & the mono coming off the swivel 'leg'.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back