• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

WHAT A WASTE

Issue with that is the biomass that is removed from the oceans to feed the fish farm stocks. Look at the fish farms in the North African desert. Saline aquifers feeding them water, but harvested sandeel and other baitfish that’s ground up to feed the bass and black bream
Used to feed tonnes of feed into trout farms.

Yeah Flappy we have bans.
Drift net bans, prohibited areas around wind farms and areas of specific interest, closed seasons and mesh minimum sizes all contribute a little towards the greater good!
I am going to stick my neck out and say that we are also partly to blame and some so called “anglers” need to be educated in realistic bag limits and fish minimum sizes.
Along with the keep all”matches” we used to hold to find piles of dead dogs and smoothies on the beach afterwards, I’m guilty in the past but have learned.
Charter boats of old…we used to look at pics of anglers up their knees in fish, thinking back what would have happened to that lot?
Just saying…
Completely agree!

Yeah Flappy we have bans.
Drift net bans, prohibited areas around wind farms and areas of specific interest, closed seasons and mesh minimum sizes all contribute a little towards the greater good!
I am going to stick my neck out and say that we are also partly to blame and some so called “anglers” need to be educated in realistic bag limits and fish minimum sizes.
Along with the keep all”matches” we used to hold to find piles of dead dogs and smoothies on the beach afterwards, I’m guilty in the past but have learned.
Charter boats of old…we used to look at pics of anglers up their knees in fish, thinking back what would have happened to that lot?
Just saying…
Worm beds been dug/ pumped out along with decline in natural mussel beds though some been reinstated and protected in fact a lot of places which had both with easy access mostly just hanging on, lad that sells blacks and uses quad bike for last decade to pump says getting harder to get numbers he used to get in no time.
Cock clam beds dug out virtually depending where you live lots more demand for bait by anglers so folks travelling to source causing bad feeling with locals and damaged vehicles, just a sign of the times🤷🏽‍♂️

All of which is a localised drop in the ocean in comparison to the fishmeal and krill industries that feed the aquaculture conveyor.

Its good to set our own angler limits, personally I'm a long term exponent of C&R coming from a primarily game angling background, but don't believe for one second that we as anglers can even equate to possibly 2 or 3% at absolute max what any focused industrial efforts can cause.

Quality bait for some species will get harder to source in uk and much more expensive as time goes by along with increased conservation zones preventing pumping and digging in some areas.

Back