• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Weymouth and a catch up.

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Catch up first. It a bit long, but may have something that may keep you or someone else alive!

A few bass in Southampton water. 3 on bait and my first lure bass of the year on a toby lure. All short and stocky, but enough to put a bend in the spinning rod. Had bigger this year on bait, but all when the ban was on!
20220328_155219.jpg
West Bay. All a bit quiet on the fishing front with no new species, just a few of the usual culprits. The fishing highlight was a squid, a big squid. In fact my first call when l saw it was to Haddock for the drop net as l knew it would not lift. Whilst trying to sort that out, he got off. I remembered reading about dropping again as they are so predatory they come back. The problem was, I was fishing my species rig with size 6 hooks, not a squid jig. The rig had caught a pollack and the squid was attacking it. I dropped the rig and it was on again. Each time I got it to the top I could see it was much bigger than I have seen before. I would put the hood part at getting on for 400mm (16 inch) in the light of my headlamp, so that length plus the tentacles. I caught and lost it 4 or 5 times with it pulsing away and jetting water on the surface, before pulling the pollack up and quickly attaching a squid rig near the fish head as advised by Haddock. In that delay and not surprisingly, it was off. I took a picture of the pollack and Haddock was right about where they attack. That beak they have is nasty! That would have been a lot of calamari!
20220422_094738.jpg

West Bay low light. A gent that was sat chatting to us, he suddenly jumped up (he later said he felt like he was on a boat) took a few stumbling steps and started going round in a circle. My first though was that he had stumbled and was making a joke of it, but then you kind of sense something is not right. He was a big guy, but we managed to catch him (before he could fall into the quay) and sit him down, with Haddock leaning on him to keep him propped up. Whats going on mate I ask? His reply from a dropped face was. "I think I am having a stroke". I did the FAST checks with him as you see on the tv. Face has it dropped? Yes. Arms can he lift them? No only one side. Speech can he talk. Yes but his face had dropped one side. Time call the emergency services. Called the emergency services and did all the checks with them and him on the phone. Told them where we were and to advise the Coastguard as the bollards have to be lifted for the ambulance to get down the pier. They advised that the emergency ambulance was on its way.The emergency ambulance did not turn up. After 45 mins the Coast Guard turned up (after going to the wrong pier!) and did the checks again. Then they cleared the beach for the helicopter to land. The helicopter did not turn up. After an hour and a half and still no ambulance, they loaded the guy into the back of the Coast Guard truck and took him away. That kind of kicked the guts out of the fishing session apart from the squid above. All praise to the Coastguard guys for attending. If l had not mentioned the Coastguard on the call to energency services, l hate to think how long we would have been left alone with him. Obviously at least 1 1/2 hours. Note. I am not knocking the nhs. Just saying what happened.

Update on the guy. The Coastguard took him to hospital in Dorchester. They did the tests again and were about to give him the clot buster drugs, which I understand are not without side effects, but better than the alternative. He suddenly said hang on l am ok! His face had gone back, he could lift his arms and everything. He was suddenly 100%. They were then worried that the clot had moved, so they scanned him. Nothing. The clot had dissipated. They gave him some medicine and sent him home. Fantastic news. I am arranging to go fishing with his son as we are staying in touch.

I slept in the van at Weymouth, but in the morning did not have the heart to fish and although bright and clear, the wind was nasty. Drove to Portland and had beans on toast and a walk around to set myself right again. It was beautiful - but cold!
20220331_100811.jpg
20220331_093646.jpg
Did you know that lots of modern phones have an SOS function? On mine a cheap Samsung. l press the power button a few times and it sends a text to my family members and my location for emergency services. See if yours has it. If not sure ask a teenager they know everything!

Back to fishing.

Calshot. Nothing but doggies and a cruise ship leaving port with a disco going on the top deck! It has a big eye and kissy lips!
20220404_220901.jpg

West Bay. Slept in the van, fished the next day. Pier was not fully open and it was a ballan wrasse fest with a few others thrown in. Not the usual busy session for there. Think it has picked up a bit now.
20220413_143813.jpg
20220413_160727.jpg
Weymouth stone pier on Wednesday. The weather was perfect, warm, not much breeze, not too much sun and plenty of fish. I had seven species of fish. Long spined sea scorpions. Ballan wrasse to 1 1/2lb. Corkwing wrasse, pout, shore rockling, tompot blenny and a beautiful 3 bearded rockling. That gave me two new species for the year bringing me up to 29, so a good day all round. Haddock also had 7 species, but not all the same as mine as he had a pollack and a goldsinny wrasse. Considering it is the kids Easter break the pier was very quiet people wise.

3 bearded rockling. Beautiful colour and markings.
20220421_211926.jpg
Tompot blenny.
20220420_164431.jpg
Ballan wrasse. Bad picture l know.
20220422_110841.jpg
It still seems to be generally tough fishing wise, but the black bream are starting to show and the hounds are due. Good luck all. And check your phones for the SOS function.

I have what3words.com on my phone, it can tell people exactly where you are to a yard or two

He had a TIA which is what a stroke starts from if clot is either too big so lodges or dissipates as we have TIA's all the time but tiny(Often aches/pains)and the bodies systems breaks them up gets more problematic if your INR numbers are low(clotting factor)
VitK/Green veg lowers INR! "Maybe kids not so daft?"While other things increase it all part of balance munchies!
As you get older plus other meds and illnesses tend to lower it/increase clotting risks.

Sounds just like what happened to me they didnt want to send ambulance either till i was laying in street and couldn't do anything couple of Police officers must have been close as they came and propped me up and rang.
But Hospital threw me out yet never checked bloods etc and i'd been on T HRT over my Pituitary Tumour and T increases clot risks massively.
Now after all that time found have and did have in other lung clots!

They preach FAST and other things but fail when it's needed to act.

But he should nag GP to get his INR checked or next time could be fatal!
I'm on Warfarin now for rest of life.

But you did well.

Great report and photos :)

Great report & photos Goatee. Bit of a worry with the old guy getting ill, but at least he's home & OK now.
Government telling us the NHS is now open for business, but it's not - it's all falling apart.
Did you wet a line at Portland? Used to go there a lot when sister-in-law lived nearby, but never had a rod with me.
I don't think my Android phone has got that function. Suspect it is a Samsung thing.
Cheers mate! (y)(y)

Great report & photos Goatee. Bit of a worry with the old guy getting ill, but at least he's home & OK now.
Government telling us the NHS is now open for business, but it's not - it's all falling apart.
Did you wet a line at Portland? Used to go there a lot when sister-in-law lived nearby, but never had a rod with me.
I don't think my Android phone has got that function. Suspect it is a Samsung thing.
Cheers mate! (y)(y)
Mine is a cheap android phone. That's what l take my pictures with. Google yours for the sos feature to be sure.
The guy was 63. That is 2 years older than me!
Fished a few times at Portland. There are ledges by Pulpit Rock and back past the cranes. There are some older posts by me where l took some none fishing mates there. Blues and two's wrasse bash was one of them. The record ballan came from Pulpit Rock.

Mine is a cheap android phone. That's what l take my pictures with. Google yours for the sos feature to be sure.
The guy was 63. That is 2 years older than me!
Fished a few times at Portland. There are ledges by Pulpit Rock and back past the cranes. There are some older posts by me where l took some none fishing mates there. Blues and two's wrasse bash was one of them. The record ballan came from Pulpit Rock.
I did a saerch for that SOS feature and found one website that showed how to set it up, but the links for my phone were different, possibly I've got a newer version of Android. Did find it on another site so will set it up.

If that guy was 63, he's 2 years younger then me, or would be in a week's time! :):)

Brilliant write up and pics, well done on the new species (y), you certainly have got around lately.
Very well done on helping that chap out and thinking about the coastguard.(y)(y)

Ruddy well done, great report and hopefully a teaching one for everyone, you never know what's going to happen , also I'd second what three words , have used it a few times to report accidents and casualties, good job pal

He had a TIA which is what a stroke starts from if clot is either too big so lodges or dissipates as we have TIA's all the time but tiny(Often aches/pains)and the bodies systems breaks them up gets more problematic if your INR numbers are low(clotting factor)
VitK/Green veg lowers INR! "Maybe kids not so daft?"While other things increase it all part of balance munchies!
As you get older plus other meds and illnesses tend to lower it/increase clotting risks.

Sounds just like what happened to me they didnt want to send ambulance either till i was laying in street and couldn't do anything couple of Police officers must have been close as they came and propped me up and rang.
But Hospital threw me out yet never checked bloods etc and i'd been on T HRT over my Pituitary Tumour and T increases clot risks massively.
Now after all that time found have and did have in other lung clots!

They preach FAST and other things but fail when it's needed to act.

But he should nag GP to get his INR checked or next time could be fatal!
I'm on Warfarin now for rest of life.

But you did well.
Sorry to hear about your situation. I will let his son know. If a passer by had not said about getting the Coastguard for the bollard on the pier who knows how long we could have been alone with him. Far from ideal. My next door neighbours wife passed away Saturday. There was a paramedic and two ambulances there. Perhaps it's a lottery as to where you are as to what level of care you get?

Great report & piccys,glad to see the old boy was ok,dread to think what would have happened otherwise.Welldone for helping him mate ???
Thanks. We were pleased to have been able to help, but also when theses things happen, you don't get much choice! It was the thought of him falling in the quay. There is no way l could have held him up.

Brilliant write up and pics, well done on the new species (y), you certainly have got around lately.
Very well done on helping that chap out and thinking about the coastguard.(y)(y)
Thanks mate. Its only when l do a round up that l realise that l realise what l have been up to!

Ruddy well done, great report and hopefully a teaching one for everyone, you never know what's going to happen , also I'd second what three words , have used it a few times to report accidents and casualties, good job pal
Thanks for that. I would rather to have not had the experience, but as you say hopefully it makes people more aware. There but for the Grace of God and all that.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back