• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North East Turbot : North East Scotland

Another Angle UK

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
I've been fishing the wonderful beaches of the Aberdeenshire coast for a few years. I've had success catching Flounders and Dabs and recently a Plaice when I was out on the boat. However, one species I really wanted to catch was a Turbot. They don't grow to huge sizes on this coast (as far as I'm aware) but a Turbot had been in my sights on a few sessions previously.

The tides were right and for a change the conditions looked favourable - not too much swell or weed. My pal Gordon was first to land a Turbot whilst I seemed only to get Flounders (Flukes). I kept refreshing the baits and working at it while Gordon continued to land more Flounders and another Turbot.

Finally, the fish gods took pity on me and I was rewarded with a fantastic little Turbot. Oh my, target species achieved.

If you want to see the session the video is on the channel.

I've been fishing the wonderful beaches of the Aberdeenshire coast for a few years. I've had success catching Flounders and Dabs and recently a Plaice when I was out on the boat. However, one species I really wanted to catch was a Turbot. They don't grow to huge sizes on this coast (as far as I'm aware) but a Turbot had been in my sights on a few sessions previously.

The tides were right and for a change the conditions looked favourable - not too much swell or weed. My pal Gordon was first to land a Turbot whilst I seemed only to get Flounders (Flukes). I kept refreshing the baits and working at it while Gordon continued to land more Flounders and another Turbot.

Finally, the fish gods took pity on me and I was rewarded with a fantastic little Turbot. Oh my, target species achieved.

Any big sand banks offshore?
Ingloriuos fshing in Guernsey catches his turbot on em.

Any big sand banks offshore?
Ingloriuos fshing in Guernsey catches his turbot on em.
I've seen Inglorious and the other YouTubers in the Channel Isles catching some cracking fish (lucky folks). It's certainly something I could try to locate from my own small fishing boat.

Try rolling a plain lead with sandeel baits on a long up and over as the bigger turbot are known ambush feeders. Blackdog to Balmedie used to produce them to a reasonable size fishing LW up. I had them to 4lb, the best I heard of was over 7lb, but that's going back to the early 90s. All the best👍

PS is that a touch of Scouse I detect in uour accent?

@Topwater PS that Fylde Boat Angling Club looks to have some good facilities and tractors to launch small fishing boats. Nothing like that up in North East Scotland as far as I'm aware.

There's a few boat clubs here on the Fylde, all of which are good. I'm in BBAC which has 3 excellent 4x4 tractors for launching/retrieving over the sand at Starr Gate. It's an excellent club and very well run indeed. We can launch at any state of tide, weather permitting 🤞

There's a few boat clubs here on the Fylde, all of which are good. I'm in BBAC which has 3 excellent 4x4 tractors for launching/retrieving over the sand at Starr Gate. It's an excellent club and very well run indeed. We can launch at any state of tide, weather permitting 🤞
It was reading the Phill Williams book 'Small Boat Fishing' and watching his videos from that / your area that got me interested in smaller boats for fishing.

Phil has a wealth of knowledge. Not heard of him for a while unfortunately. His Fishing Films and Facts website has loads of good content👍

Are you sure about the heading "Turbot off the beach" ?

Mmmm, a little edit to the thread title maybe or was it a reference to your forum name?

Well done indeed. I caught my first turbot whilst shore fishing from Shanklin beach, IOW, in June this year. I was there for 4 days and fished various locations and blanked each time. Only had mackerel strip for bait too. First time I tried fishing from the beach at Shanklin I had my first bite of the whole trip and caught my first turbot. It made my day! Too small to take, it was safely released.

@Neil6456 Well done mate, and always nice to see the fish swim back strong to fight another day.

Well done indeed. I caught my first turbot whilst shore fishing from Shanklin beach, IOW, in June this year. I was there for 4 days and fished various locations and blanked each time. Only had mackerel strip for bait too. First time I tried fishing from the beach at Shanklin I had my first bite of the whole trip and caught my first turbot. It made my day! Too small to take, it was safely released.
Next time you come to the IOW,let me know ,maybe able to advise you mate

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back