• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Trying to get back into it!

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Sorry not to have been involved and for not contributing and commenting for quite a while.

I booked 4 nights at Sea View in Weymouth with Haven for £49.00. Yep an absolute bargain. We did not even make it into the caravan as my wife (who has Parkinsons disease) fell getting out of our camper van, and ended up with what they call a collease fracture - busted in at least 3 or 4 places, of her wrist. She now has metal in her wrist, as well as both knees. The upshot is that she was unable to even carry 2 cups of tea for 11 weeks or cut up her own food, let alone do anything else. Still shit happens and you have to play the cards you are dealt. She is recovering now and even cut up an onion the other day!
20240613_135654.jpg
Getting my mojo back and getting out again has not been easy and I know that plenty of us have had long lay offs for one reason or another, when life gets in the way of fishing! Anyway a little catch up follows.

30/05/24. Boscombe Pier. Needed an easy session and the pier gives that, with free parking, not much walking and shelter if needed. At night l can be home in under 30 mins.

First up was a black bream. I use my feet as a guide for size as I have small feet! I had two, but dropped one on the lift up onto the pier, always a tense time! One for my hunt.
20240720_165500.jpg
Next was a bass, another one for my hunt and one of 4 caught.
20240720_165702.jpg
Lastly was a plaice. That gave me 3 new species, so quite happy with that. Not much else was caught by the 10 or so others fishing, so in comparison I did pretty good and it was great to be out. We got spidered out by tennis ball sized crabs, so packed up and home by 11.
20240720_165729.jpg

Next time out was 18/07/24. Venue, Weymouth stone pier and harbour. This was to get in before the Big Lerf boys competition on Saturday. I spoke with a couple of guys, nice chaps and watching their techniques finely working tiny metals, was impressive, as is the cost of their gear. One of the guys rods was £450, mine was £40!
We chucked out float rods in the hope of a mackerel or gar. Not a sniff for either of us. I fished very light using snippets of rag or maggots or pink isome. All 3 gave very similar results with perhaps maggots being best.

The place is teeming with tiny pouting and I caught loads before Haddock said do you need one for one of your hunts? I checked and yes I did. No pictures needed!

Next in was the biggest fish of the day, on the smallest rod, on maggots, a decent eating size black bream. Great sport on the little rod, especially lifting it up onto the pier.
20240720_192336.jpg
There were lots of bait fish and sand eels about, but catching them is another matter, especially when the other swarm fish, tiny pollack, were about, and they were. They were coming in 3 at a time on Sabikis. Still another one for the hunt.
20240720_192537.jpg
The usual corkwing wrasse were in short supply. I only caught 3 or so.

Had a few tompots on the day. This one was from the harbour.
20240720_184216.jpg
The harbour also produced a black goby along with a nasty looking plastic bag!
20240718_172143.jpg
And a rock goby, both of which were needed for one of my hunts.
20240718_145016.jpg
7 species of fish caught and an easy 30 - 40 plus fish caught, so a pretty busy day in the sun and great to be out. Battered sausage and chips on the quay by way of a reward and a steady drive home.

Got to keeping going now!

Best of luck if you are out, and I hope you are.

Sorry to hear about the wife Goatee, hope she gets better soon mate. (y)

Great report though, and some nice fish.🎣🎣

Ian.

Hi Goatee.
Nice to see you back.
I was on the pier the day before, and had plenty of species.
Like you said, if you drop down the edge you get instant pout.
If you cast out it is instant bream.
But by varying the distance and direction you can find other stuff.
My highlights were a garfish and six dragonets.

Great report & update Goatee, and fabulous photos. Good to see you back posting catch reports again. 🎣🎣👍👍

Sorry to hear about Mrs Goatee taking a tumble - I hope she's mending OK.

Sorry to hear about the wife Goatee, hope she gets better soon mate. (y)

Great report though, and some nice fish.🎣🎣

Ian.
Sorry to hear about your wife’s issues but glad to hear you’re back at it!
Great report & update Goatee, and fabulous photos. Good to see you back posting catch reports again. 🎣🎣👍👍

Sorry to hear about Mrs Goatee taking a tumble - I hope she's mending OK.
Great reports and good news the other half is on the mend
Cheers guys for your comments on my report and Mrs Goatee. Means a lot to me.

Hi Goatee.
Nice to see you back.
I was on the pier the day before, and had plenty of species.
Like you said, if you drop down the edge you get instant pout.
If you cast out it is instant bream.
But by varying the distance and direction you can find other stuff.
My highlights were a garfish and six dragonets.
A guy was in your spot all day and l did not like to cast into his space, what with a pretty much empty pier to pick from! You are going great guns as ever.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back