• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Answered Telescopic rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casker

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I’m pretty much done with newbie tackle questions now, but just one more.

I mentioned (on another thread) that I put a telescopic Lidl rod (the Spin rod set 270-5 w 70g CW - the so-called Pike/Zander kit) in my shopping basket several weeks back. It came with a very varied set of end-tackle – hard lure, jig hooks, spinners, soft lures, wire traces and a loaded “Size 40” reel (I’m not really sure what that means relative to a #000 designation – 5000/3000/ etc ?) Of course, now that I’ve got my head around what is actually needed to go fishing, I’m aware that just pulling a telescopic rod and a lure out of one’s car boot at any ol’ spot is just going to disappoint most of time without some sort of fishing plan. And how long will the 270-5 kit last for salt-water use I wonder even with careful wash-downs ? BUT, I rather like the Lidl telescopic rod and its convenient set-up/handling and I’m seriously wondering whether to go for a better quality (carbon or f/glass) salt-water 10’-11’ tele’ for a new lure fishing rod

So, accepting that a telescopic rod will not have the same feel as a quality 2 or 3 piece rod – carbon or f/glass – are there any TSF user experiences and any recommends or avoids please for a longer length telescopic (10'-11') ? (I’m more inclined towards quality f/glass “blanks” for a tele’, but someone might know a reason why carbon might be a better bet !?)

Last edited:
I`ve got a single 10ft tele rod I use for bait fishing in FV, that`s it, serves no other purpose.

Telescopic rods have their uses but will never be as good as a 2 or 3 piece rod. I've got one about 10ft, only a cheapie by Fladen or similar. No idea where I got it now.
It did me quite well, before I got some decent spinning rods, but it hasn't been out of the cupboard for years since. Can't remember the casting weight.
Re your size 40 reel, I would think it is a 4000.

Telescopic rods have their uses but will never be as good as a 2 or 3 piece rod. I've got one about 10ft, only a cheapie by Fladen or similar. No idea where I got it now.
It did me quite well, before I got some decent spinning rods, but it hasn't been out of the cupboard for years since. Can't remember the casting weight.
Re your size 40 reel, I would think it is a 4000.
Thank you for some sanity @Trampster.

I`ve got a single 10ft tele rod I use for bait fishing in FV, that`s it, serves no other purpose.
A few forum posts between your reply above and this one from me, but - so does it work for you as a travel rod ? Do you manage to catch fish while on holiday with your telescopic & associated chosen reel and chosen end-tackle ?

A few forum posts between your reply above and this one from me, but - so does it work for you as a travel rod ? Do you manage to catch fish while on holiday with your telescopic & associated chosen reel and chosen end-tackle ?
Yes, indeed I do. I fish over there mainly for tuna from the shore + `cuda and bluefish and an excellent bait, whilst totally illegal to use is a wee baitfish called a boga, like a wee roach chappie, 5/6inch long. "Chosen" reel for the bai fishing is an approx 25 year old Mitchell FS with 4-5lb mono and a float, simple perch style fishing off rocks into around 60ft water, crystal clear. If not fishing for bait only then I could probably catch 200 boga in a 4 hr session, they are simpler than mackeral. That goes on to a proper 11ft surf rod on a yankee blank with a FinNor 4000 fixed spool, 15lb mono, (stick braid up various bums), 40lb shock leader with a sliding float set up to a 4ft 80lb flourocarbon leader and circle bend hook. The boga is gently chucked out after being tail hooked and free lined. Occasional very slight tug make it swim away from the tug direction into even deeper water at a ledge some 40 -50yds out where the tuna run.

Yes I know livebait is illegal but since I`ve built rods for the local plod over there I got detailed instruction how to hook the livebait from one of the plod, on the rocks in daylight and him in uniform it seemed I was baiting wrong. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not certain how much more detail I can give to prevent a hissy fit.:)

Pretty sure the big polluting silver bird is gonna fly whether I`m on it or not so stick their carbon footprints up the same bums as braid.

Said rocks below.
DSCF3869.JPG

Last edited:
I’m pretty much done with newbie tackle questions now, but just one more.

I mentioned (on another thread) that I put a telescopic Lidl rod (the Spin rod set 270-5 w 70g CW - the so-called Pike/Zander kit) in my shopping basket several weeks back. It came with a very varied set of end-tackle – hard lure, jig hooks, spinners, soft lures, wire traces and a loaded “Size 40” reel (I’m not really sure what that means relative to a #000 designation – 5000/3000/ etc ?) Of course, now that I’ve got my head around what is actually needed to go fishing, I’m aware that just pulling a telescopic rod and a lure out of one’s car boot at any ol’ spot is just going to disappoint most of time without some sort of fishing plan. And how long will the 270-5 kit last for salt-water use I wonder even with careful wash-downs ? BUT, I rather like the Lidl telescopic rod and its convenient set-up/handling and I’m seriously wondering whether to go for a better quality (carbon or f/glass) salt-water 10’-11’ tele’ for a new lure fishing rod

So, accepting that a telescopic rod will not have the same feel as a quality 2 or 3 piece rod – carbon or f/glass – are there any TSF user experiences and any recommends or avoids please for a longer length telescopic (10'-11') ? (I’m more inclined towards quality f/glass “blanks” for a tele’, but someone might know a reason why carbon might be a better bet !?)
A "travel" spinning rod might be another option rather than a telescopic rod.

As for telly rods, "needs must", they're better than nothing, my 9' Shakespeare went everywhere I did in the RAF & landed some nice fish, but I wouldn't ever choose one over a std rod.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for telly rods, "needs must", they're better than nothing, my 9' Shakespeare went everywhere I did in the RAF & landed some nice fish, but I wouldn't ever choose one over a std rod.
Thanks for your thoughts/comments @Angrybear. As to your first comment; I'm more than grateful for your common-sense interjection (I totally agree), but I am quite prepared to take on the FM all on my own ! (Oh, to save everyone pondering and having to post for an explanation, that would be "Forum Mafia" !)
I'm expected several "laugh" emoticons or - more hopefully - none in response !? :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back