• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Starting the autumn bass campaign

Mr Fish

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I haven’t as such targeted bass on the surf beaches yet this year - have put the odd bait out for them but was more focused on ray or hounds.

But I love autumn bassing, September to November or at least while it’s not too cold.
Partly because imo it’s the best time to target them on the surf beaches but also because the darker evenings mean you can fish the right tide windows without starting stupid late once it’s dark and without staying out until 4am!

Friday night I had Saunton beach in mind until I realised the tide was all wrong, but it was perfect for my favourite bass beach and (in theory) not a terribly late night.

A strong NW wind also produces the best surf down there although not the most pleasant to stand out in and sometimes weed is an issue but the weed situation is usually a lottery - you just have to go and try and if you have to pack up early, so be it.

I parked up on a completely empty promenade and the wind blew my head off when I got out of the car, but the surf looked lush.
I hurried down and tackled up quickly, with a rather skanky small bluey on one rod (to use it up during the quieter part of the tide) and squid on the other.

I had the beach to myself and the neap tide meant I didn’t need to constantly be on the move either, which is always nice.

IMG_4024.jpeg

It was quiet for the first hour or so, and by then I had half a decent bluey out, which obligingly nodded a few times then the rod went right over!
‘Bass!’ I thought. And it was a decent fish, giving a good account of itself on the way in.

So I was a bit surprised to see the glowing eyes of a ray coming through the surf towards me…

IMG_4026.jpeg

I was going to weigh it, but it was bleeding unfortunately so decided to get it back as quickly as I could. It was lip hooked but possibly the hook had pulled through from deeper.
Given the feel and size of it, I’d have said 7-8lb.

Blank avoided at least!

It wasn’t long before I was getting bites again on both rods. One looked like a smaller ray and I walked it down to the surf, then was dismayed to find the line from my other rod was blowing everywhere.
I was bringing both in but was there a fish on?

It was a right mess but yes, there was quite a good sized dogfish on one and a small ie 1lb huss foul hooked on the other.
I released both fish, untangled one trace then set about trying to unravel the mess.
There were clumps and coils of 15lb line wrapped around me, the tripod, the other reel, all over the place 🙄
By carefully retrieving and untangling each mess as I came to it, I managed to fix the mess and get the line back on the reel where it belonged.
Which was good as I didn’t have a spare reel or spare line, so cutting wouldn’t have ended well.

Then things went quiet for a while. I had another even smaller huss that looked deeply hooked but coughed up the whole squid without a hook touching it, result!

By now I was approaching the part where the beach narrows, with a gully behind that fills up. It’s not dangerous per se but there is a danger your box can float away so much vigilance and moving of gear is required.

I had a reasonable bite on the second small and slightly manky bluey I was using up, which resulted in the target fish at least.

IMG_4029.jpeg

It was I’d say under 2lb and was lip hooked so went back quite happily.

By now I had time for one last cast before I was pushed off the beach. Water was already beginning to swirl around my ankles.

I was watching a nibbling, twitchy bite that turned into nodding and I was thinking schoolie.
Then the rod went over quite slowly but deliberately and I struck into what was clearly quite a good fish.
The initial contact felt very wriggly and I was fairly certain it was a big eel.
I’ve had them up to high teens on this beach so it’s relatively common, especially in autumn.

It was a strong fish. The 15lb line was singing and I was quite careful as I eased it towards shore.
Then it was gone 🙄

You never know with fishing but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a bass. It had all the hallmarks of an eel, from the delicate initial bite, the strong slow take and the sheer power.

That was it for the session. I had one last chuck but it was wishful thinking as the gully behind was filling rapidly and I soon brought both rods in as made a hasty retreat.

Still, not a bad start to the campaign. No big bass but target acquired and a few other fish to boot.
Also the weed wasn’t too bad. Some clumps and inevitably some on the leader knot but a result, given the conditions.

Another good write up . Well done on the ray . South Devon coast is looking very bassy today but it's bloody horrible out can't get motivated to get out n give it ago .
Cheers mate. It’s blowing a hoolie here with gusts up to 50mph allegedly, so think I’d give that a miss too!

Great report Mr Fish, nice Ray and Bass mate. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Great report Tony! Nice Raymondo and taget Bass achieved. Well done. 🎣🎣👍👍

I haven’t as such targeted bass on the surf beaches yet this year - have put the odd bait out for them but was more focused on ray or hounds.

But I love autumn bassing, September to November or at least while it’s not too cold.
Partly because imo it’s the best time to target them on the surf beaches but also because the darker evenings mean you can fish the right tide windows without starting stupid late once it’s dark and without staying out until 4am!

Friday night I had Saunton beach in mind until I realised the tide was all wrong, but it was perfect for my favourite bass beach and (in theory) not a terribly late night.

A strong NW wind also produces the best surf down there although not the most pleasant to stand out in and sometimes weed is an issue but the weed situation is usually a lottery - you just have to go and try and if you have to pack up early, so be it.

I parked up on a completely empty promenade and the wind blew my head off when I got out of the car, but the surf looked lush.
I hurried down and tackled up quickly, with a rather skanky small bluey on one rod (to use it up during the quieter part of the tide) and squid on the other.

I had the beach to myself and the neap tide meant I didn’t need to constantly be on the move either, which is always nice.

View attachment 71424

It was quiet for the first hour or so, and by then I had half a decent bluey out, which obligingly nodded a few times then the rod went right over!
‘Bass!’ I thought. And it was a decent fish, giving a good account of itself on the way in.

So I was a bit surprised to see the glowing eyes of a ray coming through the surf towards me…

View attachment 71425

I was going to weigh it, but it was bleeding unfortunately so decided to get it back as quickly as I could. It was lip hooked but possibly the hook had pulled through from deeper.
Given the feel and size of it, I’d have said 7-8lb.

Blank avoided at least!

It wasn’t long before I was getting bites again on both rods. One looked like a smaller ray and I walked it down to the surf, then was dismayed to find the line from my other rod was blowing everywhere.
I was bringing both in but was there a fish on?

It was a right mess but yes, there was quite a good sized dogfish on one and a small ie 1lb huss foul hooked on the other.
I released both fish, untangled one trace then set about trying to unravel the mess.
There were clumps and coils of 15lb line wrapped around me, the tripod, the other reel, all over the place 🙄
By carefully retrieving and untangling each mess as I came to it, I managed to fix the mess and get the line back on the reel where it belonged.
Which was good as I didn’t have a spare reel or spare line, so cutting wouldn’t have ended well.

Then things went quiet for a while. I had another even smaller huss that looked deeply hooked but coughed up the whole squid without a hook touching it, result!

By now I was approaching the part where the beach narrows, with a gully behind that fills up. It’s not dangerous per se but there is a danger your box can float away so much vigilance and moving of gear is required.

I had a reasonable bite on the second small and slightly manky bluey I was using up, which resulted in the target fish at least.

View attachment 71426

It was I’d say under 2lb and was lip hooked so went back quite happily.

By now I had time for one last cast before I was pushed off the beach. Water was already beginning to swirl around my ankles.

I was watching a nibbling, twitchy bite that turned into nodding and I was thinking schoolie.
Then the rod went over quite slowly but deliberately and I struck into what was clearly quite a good fish.
The initial contact felt very wriggly and I was fairly certain it was a big eel.
I’ve had them up to high teens on this beach so it’s relatively common, especially in autumn.

It was a strong fish. The 15lb line was singing and I was quite careful as I eased it towards shore.
Then it was gone 🙄

You never know with fishing but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a bass. It had all the hallmarks of an eel, from the delicate initial bite, the strong slow take and the sheer power.

That was it for the session. I had one last chuck but it was wishful thinking as the gully behind was filling rapidly and I soon brought both rods in as made a hasty retreat.

Still, not a bad start to the campaign. No big bass but target acquired and a few other fish to boot.
Also the weed wasn’t too bad. Some clumps and inevitably some on the leader knot but a result, given the conditions.
Great report as always mate and a real shame about the monster bass you lost at the end of the session! :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Obviously I’ll never know but the delicate nibbling bite before moving off, slowly, the initial thrashing and writhing, all identical to many bigger eels I’ve caught.

It probably fought harder than a bass too 😂

Not to say fish don’t on occasion throw you a curveball but I’d put money on it being a high teens eel.

Much like the one I lost on a rock mark one night that was NOT a big double cod.
No it wasn’t, nope, nope, nope…

Nope, wasn’t, nope… nurse?

IMG_4074.gif

An eel then for sure Tony.. 🎣

Ian.

Great report.
Shame about losing a big eel😕

An eel then for sure Tony.. 🎣

Ian.

Great report.
Shame about losing a big eel😕

Stop trying to make him feel better, he’s a grown up now! You know it was a massive bass, I know it was a massive bass, everyone knows it was a massive bass!

The sooner he accepts it the sooner he can move on!

😉😉😂😂😂😂

Stop trying to make him feel better, he’s a grown up now! You know it was a massive bass, I know it was a massive bass, everyone knows it was a massive bass!

😉😉😂😂😂😂
😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰

😉😉😂😂😂😂
I guess it's easier to accept losing a massive spiky sea rat than the loss of a good conger👍

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back