• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Squid fishing off pier - complete beginner

beginnerfisher2024

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
New here hello everybody!

I did some fishing last year in cyprus which was very enjoyable... I did request to 'learn how to fish' but I was chucked a rod and it was all set up for me. So I dont know the 1st thing about how to setup a rod etc. I guess most people were taught by dad/ grandad etc.

I want to buy a boat next year and do squid fishing etc but for now I thought why not fish of the pier. I have a couple within 10 minutes of me.

Just watching some youtube vids to try and get some basics but I will need to buy a rod and reel etc.

Can anybody recommens some gear? Budget wise I prefer to buy the best I can not the cheapest so if its well known to be top stuff thats what I want...

Really appreciate any help guys.

Mostly want to catch squid to clean/cook on the beech :P

:cool:

Welcome to the Madhouse matey!

Squid is something I don't target, and eating them certainly doesn't appeal to me! Good bait for other fish though!

With only limited experience, I would suggest that since your object is to safely crane the squid up and over the rail, squid not being a species to give much in terms of 'sport', a robust but light 8Ft rod such as a boat rod could be sourced for not a lot of money. A decent rechargeable light is a better investment. Comments welcome.

It's a welcome from me as well (y)

cheers guys!

Ive been watching videos the last 23 hours ha! some good boys out there on youtube.

Im wondering if I will do any good off the sea-wall rather than the peir then im not limitied to opening times and the charge everytime.

Im planning on going out 2 hours before a high tide and casting off the sea wall :cool:

Tomorrow off to the sea tackle shop for some prezzies!

I've heard that Squid are attracted to light, so if you could get a waterproof LED light, that might help.

I'm sure one of the guys on here also mentioned it a while ago. Try putting Squid into the forum search box?

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back