• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

shock leaders

jambop

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Anybody using a multi reel with braid ? And if there is anybody doing this do you just use very heavy braid all the way through rather than have a shock leader? I was thinking 60lb braid right through to the rig could be a goer but I have also read that multi's and braid are not a marriage made in heaven so would be interested to see if there are any bucking the trend.

Im braid straight through on my fixed spools but some of my friends fish straight through braid on their multi reels with no problems, not sure what strength they use but will try and find out.

I'm useing j braid on my penn fathom 15cs in 60lb straight through, all iv done is use thicker oil in the bearings ,and I'm not gentle on the cast I treat same as mono not had a single problem

I'm useing j braid on my penn fathom 15cs in 60lb straight through, all iv done is use thicker oil in the bearings ,and I'm not gentle on the cast I treat same as mono not had a single problem

This sounds very encouraging because it does away with the need for a leader and that knot. What brand of braid do you use? I am thinking of putting it on my 7HT when I start fishing in the new year.

This sounds very encouraging because it does away with the need for a leader and that knot. What brand of braid do you use? I am thinking of putting it on my 7HT when I start fishing in the new year.
Diawa j braid

Anybody using a multi reel with braid ? And if there is anybody doing this do you just use very heavy braid all the way through rather than have a shock leader? I was thinking 60lb braid right through to the rig could be a goer but I have also read that multi's and braid are not a marriage made in heaven so would be interested to see if there are any bucking the trend.

I've been using 70lb to 80lb braid on my multipliers. I use them with and without leaders. At places like Llandulas, a beach where there are loads of boulders covered in barnacles a mono leader is an absolute necessity otherwise your braid just frays on the rocks and you end up snapping off or severely weakening your line.

I was using a 100 lb mono leader on some venues though, attached with an FG knot but then I got lazy as I ended up removing the leader because it was worn and never got around to replacing it, just using the braid straight through.

I hardly ever fish Llandulas any more so I thought it would be alright but then on my last trip when I was shore tope fishing a good fish took my bait and tore off, ratchet screaming, then all of a sudden it went slack. I reeled in and my braid had frayed through on an underwater obstructio so I lost the fish and it's bad for the fish too.

I've landed several tope with out a leader there before and did on that same session but it just shows you are risking it and potentially jeopardizing a good fishes life if you do not use a leader, so it's lesson learnt for me.

One of the reasons I changed to braid was, believe it or not, to be more fish friendly. So when conger fishing I could make my rigs up with a 20 lb rottom bottom and put a "weak" but still extremely strong 60 lb link just after the biting trace. Then if the eel got holed up and I had to pull for a break the fish would then only have a short section of line hanging from it instead of a rig plus 10 metres of shock leader which has got to be a lot better for the fish.

This tactic still holds true for me, in terms of reducing what I end up losing to the sea, and what's left hanging out of a fishes gob after pulling for a break - so long as you don't forget to use a long rubbing leader stronger then the "weak" hook link at venues where it is appropriate to do so.

On clean beaches and deep marks casting on to sand you are ok without one though.

Last edited:
I've been using 70lb to 80lb braid on my multipliers. I use them with and without leaders. At places like Llandulas, a beach where there are loads of boulders covered in barnacles a mono leader is an absolute necessity otherwise your braid just frays on the rocks and you end up snapping off or severely weakening your line.

I was using a 100 lb mono leader on some venues though, attached with an FG knot but then I got lazy as I ended up removing the leader because it was worn and never got around to replacing it, just using the braid straight through.

I hardly ever fish Llandulas any more so I thought it would be alright but then on my last trip when I was shore tope fishing a good fish took my bait and tore off, ratchet screaming, then all of a sudden it went slack. I reeled in and my braid had frayed through on an underwater obstructio so I lost the fish and it's bad for the fish too.

I've landed several tope with out a leader there before and did on that same session but it just shows you are risking it and potentially jeopardizing a good fishes life if you do not use a leader, so it's lesson learnt for me.

One of the reasons I changed to braid was, believe it or not, to be more fish friendly. So when conger fishing I could make my rigs up with a 20 lb rottom bottom and put a "weak" but still extremely strong 60 lb link just after the biting trace. Then if the eel got holed up and I had to pull for a break the fish would then only have a short section of line hanging from it instead of a rig plus 10 metres of shock leader which has got to be a lot better for the fish.

This tactic still holds true for me, in terms of reducing what I end up losing to the sea, and what's left hanging out of a fishes gob after pulling for a break - so long as you don't forget to use a long rubbing leader stronger then the "weak" hook link at venues where it is appropriate to do so.

On clean beaches and deep marks casting on to sand you are ok without one though.
I am totally new to fishing from a beach but it would be fair to say that most of the beaches do have a nice sandy bottom but if fishing from the rocky areas things would be different I think I am going to have to look into places I am likely to fish see exactly what the bottom is like.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back