• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Shock leader question

bozzie

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi
Newbie here,
My question is, when I attach the shock leader to my main line does that then mean rigs, weights etc are then attached to the thicker shock leader ?
Cheers
Bozzie

Hi
Newbie here,
My question is, when I attach the shock leader to my main line does that then mean rigs, weights etc are then attached to the thicker shock leader ?
Cheers
Bozzie
I put a fast link on the end of the leader and the same with my rigs. You can then attach and change rigs easily.

Welcone to the forum,yes it does,I use the same sort of set up as concrete does ,it makes it easier & highly recommended it.

OK thanks, I've been told that braid is better than mono, also what breaking strain braid would be used for general beachcasting for bass, cod, whiting etc probably using 3-4 oz weights.
Cheers
Bozzie

OK thanks, I've been told that braid is better than mono, also what breaking strain braid would be used for general beachcasting for bass, cod, whiting etc probably using 3-4 oz weights.
Cheers
Bozzie
Braid is great, but can be difficult to handle while casting, if having doubts stick to mono if using a multiplier,

Cheers
Bozzie
As a relative newcomer, I would stick with mono for starters.
Whatever you decide to use, you will need a shockleader of about 50Lbs. With Braid, you could go to 50-60Lbs straight through and then no shockleader required.

If you're using a fixed spool reel then braid is OK, apart from being a PITA to tie knots, you still need a shock leader to take the stress of the cast, 10lb per oz of weight (150g is 5oz) and the main body of your rigs through to the lead weight also need to be that strength.
Most people tie a link to the shock leader & then swivel at the top of the rig to clip on.
I'd use 20-30lb braid, but if you use a small casting multiplier stick to mono 15-18lb.
Personally I prefer to use tapered shock leaders because the smaller knots go through tip rings better.

If you're using a fixed spool reel then braid is OK, apart from being a PITA to tie knots, you still need a shock leader to take the stress of the cast, 10lb per oz of weight (150g is 5oz) and the main body of your rigs through to the lead weight also need to be that strength.
Most people tie a link to the shock leader & then swivel at the top of the rig to clip on.
I'd use 20-30lb braid, but if you use a small casting multiplier stick to mono 15-18lb.
Personally I prefer to use tapered shock leaders because the smaller knots go through tip rings better.
Thanks for the info, all helpful.👍

If you are only casting up to 4 oz I'd consider 40lb braid straight through if you are using a fixed spool

Casting what ?
Because if it's more than 2oz no shock leader is outright dangerous.
That will depend on what strength the mainline is as well as the power applied to the cast. There is no need for shock leaders if lobbing in close on say 40lb mainline for instance, nor if using light leads etc

The nylon shock leader strength rule for power casting is 10lb per oz pus a 10lb safety margin btw, so 5oz = 60lb, 6oz = 70lb, 7oz = 80lb etc. The general concensus on braid leaders seems to be to use 90lb and upwards, which is not an issue as its way thinner than mono for its breaking strain and so forms a smaller knot.

There's a few ways to skin the cat Bozzie, but it is important for safety's sake that you err on the side of caution, particularly when putting any power into your casts. I'd advise you not to put too much importance on achieving great distances unless the mark really requires it - a lot of species can be found surprisingly close a lot of the time. Find features and you'll generally find fish, and one oc the best features is often right in the edge at your feet! Learn a good casting style (get a lesson if you can and study the likes of John Holden on YouTube) and distance comes easy on balanced tackle anyway.
Most of all, enjoy your fishing 👍

Carp boys use up to four ounce leads.. 15-20lb line.. they don’t use shock leaders..👍

I sometimes do without one for estuary fishing, up to 4oz though usually less, but that literally is a lob and mostly not more than 20 yards, often much less.

Rock fishing such as wrassing I mostly use 30lb straight through but again hardly power casting.
However if I’m targeting bigger fish like huss off the rocks I still prefer a leader as it gives me a solid 60/70lb of line to grab when the huss or eel is alongside.

Just as examples where I may or may not use a leader, but for at least 80% of my sea fishing I do use one.

remember tying knots in braid is more finicky that in mono. braid knots can fail in many ways so always think of your knot as weak point...is all very well saying you can cast 40lb braid all the way through on 4oz but

1. very rarely (unless high quality JAPANESE braid) is the lb rating on the spool correct...
2. Knots will break at much less unless you are using an FG or PR knot..(100% knots)

learn some good knots like San Diego Jam knot etc for braid (Tuna boys use this in ..yes you guessed it ! the San Diego Tuna fisheries) or the double wrapped Uni. Palomar is NOT a good braid knot for eg, but is almost 100% for mono.

any knot that is based on a crossed over line rather than wraps is no good for braid..it cuts itself..

so just bear this in mind

Carp boys use up to four ounce leads.. 15-20lb line.. they don’t use shock leaders..👍
Maybe not with relatively soft through action rods but many carpers fishing at range now with distance rods do use shock leaders. Fifteen pound line can easily be snapped off with 3.75tc and 3.5oz lead.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back