• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Serious surges

Mr Fish

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I wasn’t going to bother writing this one up but it might interest someone, lol.

I couldn’t fish at the weekend and was a bit antsy to get out so decided on a spur of the moment trip to Saunton Sands last night (Wednesday).

High tide at 10.20pm meant it literally would be a three hour session as the water pisses back far too quickly on a flat beach to be worth the bother chasing it down again.

I didn’t want to get there until 7 as that’s when the parking is free, but as it turned out it was more like 7.30 and pretty much dark by the time I arrived.
But as it also turned out, there were still a few very stubborn surfers only just walking off the beach, so chances are I would have had to wait for them to piss off anyway.

As it was a short session, I’d been toying with the idea of staying near the beach entrance by the rocks.
This was confirmed when I parked up and remembered I’d left my main light (which I’d charged especially during the afternoon) sat on top of my bait freezer, so all I had was my cheapy spare.
When had I last charged it? I couldn’t remember…
So doing my usual 20 minute walk down the beach wasn’t worth it - not that I cared if the light went out, there’s enough light down there to make your way back, but buggered if I was going to walk miles, have the light fail within the hour then walk all the way back!

So the easy option it was. Bizarrely I’ve never fished that end either.
I set up quickly and the first thing I noticed was, as expected, the big surf was pushing waves a long way up the beach.
I’d known that would be the case, but it was a particularly strong surge last night and I was some 150-200 yards back from the main surf line.

The only bait I’d brought was one pack of bluey and a handful of squid, more than enough for a brief session.
Bass was obviously the target and the surf certainly looked bassy!

After what seemed like an endless walk to cast out, I began to settle into it, then realised I could no longer see my box with the dim setting of the headlight.
The wave surges were pushing up such a long way - one minute I’d be stood on dry sand and the next it was rushing past above my knees and it was STRONG too.
So I moved back further, to keep in touch with my box, which isn’t quite that needy (!) but if I’m bringing in a fish or sorting a tangle, I need to know my gear is safe and not floating out into the Atlantic!

This was proven a minute later when the box floated halfway down the beach to meet me, like a needy puppy…
Nope. He was being moved up the beach yet further and so was the tripod, so I could keep an eye on him.

This might give you some idea just how far away the real surf was…

IMG_4119.jpeg

And still every few sets were surging up past my ankles.

After all this moving (I’d been fishing less than half hour), I realised there was very little line left on the reels, despite both being more or less full.

Then the mother of all surges came in and dry sand well back from the surf line became a thigh high torrent.
I wasn’t bothered, I’m pretty used to wading around in surf, but I hung on to my tripod because I wasn’t sure it would withstand it, while keeping a close eye on my box.
Then as the waves receded I saw the box on its side. Shit.

Reunited with it, I saw thankfully everything had stayed inside, but there was a good helping of sand in there and quite a bit of water.
Nothing seemed too amiss so I reset and rebaited both rods.
That was a looong wind in too 🥵🥵🥵

Box well well back, me well back, I grabbed the window for a coffee and to actually properly watch for bites…

IMG_4121.jpeg

Not observant enough, because I was faffing with bait or something and realised I’d been hearing a noise for a few seconds.
Yep, one rod was bent over and the ratchet screaming!
Now… it had been on a fairly light ratchet while I cast out the other and did others things.
Was it a fish or just a receding surge? Not sure. I struck into something or thought I did, but wasn’t too sure, there was a LOT of line out, then I thought maybe I was bringing something in… or was I?
In any event, it went light and I brought in a still pristine bait that had only been out 10 minutes, so I lobbed it in close and returned to my coffee.

Oh, and probably moved everything back again first, that was a common theme last night…

See… this is the thing with surf beaches. The bass won’t care, they’ll be out there living their best life regardless, but sometimes the surf can just be too big and too powerful to target them effectively or indeed to fish effectively.
Not to mention my weights (6oz) were being washed all over the place and traces tangling on occasion.
In two hours I’d had two casts with each rod and spent more time walking up and down the beach and moving my gear than actually fishing properly.

Sometimes it’s just not worth it. Had it been a longer session planned I’d have headed home, but there was only an hour’s fishing left and the tide had slowed as it approached high water, so I stuck it out.

No more ‘bites’, if indeed that was a bite - conditions were just too wild to tell.
Had I known… yep would have stayed home but I find beaches fickle and you never really know for sure how things might affect you until you actually fish them.
Bizarrely though, almost no weed and I’d have been willing to bet fairly good money there probably would be.
Still, sometimes these impromptu sessions become those red letter nights, you don’t know until you try!

As a footnote, towards the end I realised my scales had been at the bottom of the box. Yes, the box with seawater in 🙄
A quick check and sure enough, the case was soaked but the electric scales still worked and didn’t seem saturated. I wiped them off as best I could and they’re now enjoying an extended spell in the airing cupboard.
An extra footnote: my other spare light was also in there, hadn’t realised and that was truly soaked, but still worked. That’s also now in the airing cupboard!

At home, the most I could be bothered with at that time of day was to empty it and lay everything else out to dry…

IMG_4123.jpeg

That sounds more like a nightmare of a session

Good write up Tony. Sounds like the surf was a bit of a nightmare. Top marks for effort, and I hope your gear all dries out OK. 👍👍

It was mostly taken in good heart but after an hour or less I realised I probably shouldn’t have bothered
When I do 'walk back' sessions, I don't take a box.
Reels are already on rods and I use a tripod net.
Essentials are in a small sealed bucket that fits the net with room for bait, cloth etc.

May be worth thinking about, then you don't have to worry about the box floating away 👍
It's surprising how much you can strip away for short to moderate sessions.

When I do 'walk back' sessions, I don't take a box.
Reels are already on rods and I use a tripod net.
Essentials are in a small sealed bucket that fits the net with room for bait, cloth etc.

May be worth thinking about, then you don't have to worry about the box floating away 👍
It's surprising how much you can strip away for short to moderate sessions.
I guess but I take bulky things like weight sling, scales, etc, I just find a box easier to keep it all in but it adds a layer of faff it’s true.
There’s not actually too much else in there apart from weights, hook box, few traces, knife, pliers, trace line, oh and phone tripod.
Oh, coffee flask, water bottle, lol.

Overall it works for me but nights of surges are the one time it becomes awkward.

Had I known it was like that, I probably wouldn’t have bothered.

Epic write up (y) (y)

Shame no catch after all that.

I myself would never fish like that, too much hassle for me.
Tis necessary if you want to fish the surf line up on flat surf beaches with a big tidal range, but yes you’re constantly moving

Thems the breaks sometimes Mr F. At least you got out of the house and all ended safely. Nice to see someone else has repurposed a Nesquick milkshake tub😉 I use the small ones to stop grip leads piercing through my jacket pocket. I've also added a couple of screw lid boxes to the spine of my tripod

Thems the breaks sometimes Mr F. At least you got out of the house and all ended safely. Nice to see someone else has repurposed a Nesquick milkshake tub😉 I use the small ones to stop grip leads piercing through my jacket pocket. I've also added a couple of screw lid boxes to the spine of my tripod
Haha, yes needs must! It was a coffee tin but that rusted out in the end.

I did go through a phase of tripod add ons but they tended to break so I gave up in the end.

Tbh the current set up works for me and it also means I only carry two things, box and tripod.
I don’t feel any need for the gear to be ultra ultra mobile and streamlined but not saying that’s right, it’s just right for me.
Some mates do prefer to take buckets like Shirl does.

I may well return there tonight, the surf looks a lot more placid, but being a Friday and more potential for noddies or beach drinkers, I’ll make sure I remember all my lights and walk down some way out the way.
Not that others on the beach are any trouble but I don’t go fishing to have partying students all around me 🙄

I was going to write 'Good effort' but 'Too much effort' seems far more appropriate!

Respect for having a go anyway mate, you definitely deserved a fish. Hopefully you have more success tonight if you do go.
In hindsight I put it in the ‘too much effort’ bracket too! 😂

Went back there last night. The ‘new’ (Team England) rod seems okay although quite a bend in it but it sits well in the tide.
Unfortunately couldn’t christen it with a fish but did have a 2lb schoolie at the last knockings that went back.

Didn’t really seem worth an extra report as next to nothing else happened.
I did the 20 minute hike down the beach this time, mainly to get away from the few people fishing near the entrance with bright lights, who left well before high tide.

Conditions were much much better, in fact about right I’d have said, but apart from the bass and a strappy type nibbling bite that mangled a whole joey mackerel, I didn’t have any other action at all.

IMG_4188.jpeg

Well done on the spiky.
Shame the mackerel mangler didn't find the hook 😕

Well done on the spiky.
Shame the mackerel mangler didn't find the hook 😕
Cher’s! If it was an eel it’s a result but tbh it could have been anything.
It may be something had hit it while I was wading out to cast the other, not possible to watch the rods the whole time.
Then small piss was nibbling on what was left.

You cant catch fish sitting in front of the telly at home and anything you caught, you have definitely worked for, so well done you I reckon mate. No doubt your box needed a clean out anyway!

You cant catch fish sitting in front of the telly at home and anything you caught, you have definitely worked for, so well done you I reckon mate. No doubt your box needed a clean out anyway!
Haha, it definitely did and the previous bass from the last trip was gutted and scaled on the lid so it was rather overdue! 😂😂😂

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back