• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Rig body b.s?

Thrasher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Ollie kind of eluded to it in the rig body thread so I thought I would ask the question.

Do you tie up rig bodies/rigs in different breaking strains?

I have two set ups, up to 4 oz and up to 7oz so I am thinking 80lb rig body and 30-40lb snoods in general for what I am likely to target with the big stuff.

So should I tie some in 40lb rig body and lighter snoods, thinking flatties, bass maybe, mostly summer fishing for the 4oz rods?

I make rigs from 50lb and 80lb BS.

70 or 80lb as the main rig body for my big rod rigs for big leads, 5-7oz

50lb for the lighter rod rigs, 2 to 5oz.

Snoods vary based on rig type, bait i intend to present and species targeted.
* 20lb - flatties and small species - ideal for rag worms (small knots at the hook so you don't push their head through their ar5e)
* 30lb - Snoods for small baits
* 50lb - Pulley snoods for big worm baits
* 70/80lb - Pulley and single pat rigs for fish baits

Unsure how much difference it will make, I always think it might make holding bottom with smaller leads easier when everything is balanced.

I make rigs from 50lb and 80lb BS.

70 or 80lb as the main rig body for my big rod rigs for big leads, 5-7oz

50lb for the lighter rod rigs, 2 to 5oz.

Snoods vary based on rig type, bait i intend to present and species targeted.
* 20lb - flatties and small species - ideal for rag worms (small knots at the hook so you don't push their head through their ar5e)
* 30lb - Snoods for small baits
* 50lb - Pulley snoods for big worm baits
* 70/80lb - Pulley and single pat rigs for fish baits

Unsure how much difference it will make, I always think it might make holding bottom with smaller leads easier when everything is balanced.
That is what I am thinking.
If I was fly fishing I wouldn't be using 15lb or heavier leader on my 9ft 5 weight but I would on my 15ft 10 weight. So probably looking to apply the same logic and hopefullly a bit more finesse to my sea fishing.

Last edited:
I'll go down to 30lb fluro bodies and 2oz leads for GGs, flats and bass on the surf beaches if I'm wading with one rod. Short 15 or 20lb fluro hook lrengths. Conditions have got to merit it though
That might be a good set up for Luce Bay if we ever get freed up again.

Tend to use 4 or 5oz leads for most things, rarely go below a 1/0 hook, so 50 or 60Lb does me for shock leaders and rig bodies. Usually 20 or 25Lb fluoro for hook snoods. I have noticed that rig bodies in general seem to be made of heavier line over recent years.

The thing to remember with rig bodies is that it isn't only a direct link to the Leader>lead But also has many things like Knots/Crimps/Kinked from running/up and over/Pulley rigs so all these things can weaken it so more than just a line and the other major thing is that it's dragged around/along the sea bes and through surf/backwash which is very abrasive and some lines like the ASSO Leader i had seamed to once got Dull/coating abraded tended to become more Brittle!

And no one wants it when whanging a lead round it snapping firing lead wherever!
Most of mine stay at 80lb but did have some lighter rigs for using with light rod for likes of walking out and fishing tide back at Southend where only using 3oz'ish.
But you can still snap 60lb with a 5oz weight in the right hands and rods!

Yes generally stick with the heavier stuff but if I’m targeting flatties say, or a lighter flapper rig that isn’t being given too much welly, I’d go down to 40 and even 30 occasionally.

we’re talking a more gentle cast here, obviously.

The actual snoods might be as light as 15 but I find something like a 40 helps prevent tangling and the snoods to stand out a bit more.

For estuary flounder fishing I just flick out a 20lb two hook blood loop dropper, but in those I stances the weight is above the trace. Not that it’s ever much more than 3oz then and we’re talking 20/30 yard flicks.

All pretty much what’s been said above anyway.

I just use 80lb for the lot......
Yes, to be honest, there’s no real reason not to.

I wouldn’t use it for flicking out 20 yards for flounder (!) but as far as any other beach rig goes, the body strength is irrelevant to the snood after all.

I suppose in my head I always just streamline the ‘lighter’ rigs down a bit ie 40lb body instead of 80.
I’m not a power caster and never had a problem with that, but it could just easily be 80.

Yes, to be honest, there’s no real reason not to.

I wouldn’t use it for flicking out 20 yards for flounder (!) but as far as any other beach rig goes, the body strength is irrelevant to the snood after all.

I suppose in my head I always just streamline the ‘lighter’ rigs down a bit ie 40lb body instead of 80.
I’m not a power caster and never had a problem with that, but it could just easily be 80.
I am not a power caster either, oht is what happens with me.

I prefer the ridgidity of it, it lays the rigs out properly.
I quite often recycle the rig bodies and change the hook lengths so better safe than sorry.
Tourno brought up the point about crimping which is very valid the right size crimp on the 80lb line just needs a slight nip and its there for good..... taking a bigger crimp and having to squeeze it down to grip a 40lb body usually means kinking the crimp or over crimping which makes it unreliable.

I generally use 80lb rig body but may try stepping down abit this year as I don't power cast and want to try a new way to minimise losses on rough ground marks buy having a slightly weaker rig than mainline and shock leader (60lb mainline, 60 or 80lb leader at the moment. Want to try 50 or 60 lb leader). It may work it may not but I'm going to try it as I hate loosing gear when fishing off the rocks.
If anyone has tried that approach, I'd be very interested to hear your findings.

I think i read something the other day (may have been on here) where someone had put a weak link in a conger trace, so had 50 or 60 lb tied to a 150lb bite trace so the fish wouldnt have a whole rig attached to it if they had to pull for a I break. Seems a good idea to me.

Depends upon the target species for me, although generally 70 lb mono or 70 lb braid leaders , mostly braid to be fair. With 50 lb snoods , target fish Cod, Huss, Rays .

For beach Bass or flats I can / do go right down to 30 lb mono leaders because I wont be casting more than 3 oz less being more likley in some situations ,with 12 or 15lb mono main line. For freelining sandeel on a sandy beach no leader required.

Dave

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back