• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Penn tidal XT 8000 & Braid

meirion658

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Morning all

Both of My tidal XT 8000 are loaded with Varivas yellow sport in various line strength.

I've just bought a Conti rod to have a play about with on some sandy clean beaches and looking to get some braid on the FS.

Would you guys load the FS with 300m or a 150m spool of braid and secondly what sort of diameter/lb would you suggest. I was looking at the Berkley sick in 24lb 0.12 or 36lb 0.14 with a tapered mono shock leader ?

Thanks

Morning all

Both of My tidal XT 8000 are loaded with Varivas yellow sport in various line strength.

I've just bought a Conti rod to have a play about with on some sandy clean beaches and looking to get some braid on the FS.

Would you guys load the FS with 300m or a 150m spool of braid and secondly what sort of diameter/lb would you suggest. I was looking at the Berkley sick in 24lb 0.12 or 36lb 0.14 with a tapered mono shock leader ?

Thanks
I'd scrap the tapered leaders and use a braid leader. Doesn't have to be expensive. Cheap chinese 4strand is fine. Smaller and stronger knot

Sounds fine to me Meirion, but I wouldn't use a tapered leader.
If you're planning on using 24 or 36Lb main line, most tapered shock leaders are around 18Lb at the thin end, so that means the weakest point is near the join. A braid leader might be better.
I don't use braid (yet!), and just use a 60 or 70Lb leader on the end of around 28Lb mono.

If your reels already have mono, why change to braid now. ?

Ian.

I'm one of the minority who gets on well with braid mainline and mono leader. I use 65 lb apiderwire with a 60 lb mono (sakuma?) shockleader, my leader is only the drop, length of the rod and 8 or so times round the spool, any longer and I get really bad wind knots during the cast.
The leader is tied with an fg knot and seems to work well for me.
I'll be honest, I'm no tournament caster, but can put a baited trace about 100 yds on a good day, this seems to be the biggest problem with the mono leader as most who have problems have a long leader or are trying to cast huge distances.

If you have some mono leader laying about, I'd try that first, if it doesn't work, try what valleyboy said, a heavy 4 strand braid leader, it seems to be the way to go for 99% of braid users..

You could also try and heavy braid straight through?

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back