• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Oh Dear - not good.

Trampster

TSF Supporter
Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I've bought a lot of rod sleeves from Midwater luggage, and a tripod net, seatbox cushion and other bits over the years, usually from their eBay store.
Always great quality, fair prices and good service, so have recommended them many times to others.

I needed a new rod sleeve for the Blackrock freebie lure rod I got recently, so had a look on the Midwater Luggage eBay store - no rod sleeves listed.
OK, off to the website. Eventually found the rod sleeves page, which initially said "sold out". Refreshed the page, must have been a glitch, and they are still available, but nothing for rods of less than 11ft. Emailed Paul the boss on Monday - no reply as yet. Many reports online of items not turning up on time, if at all.
Not good - sounds like they have gone from Heros to Zero in recent months. Still hoping for a reply, but it's not looking good.

I've bought a lot of rod sleeves from Midwater luggage, and a tripod net, seatbox cushion and other bits over the years, usually from their eBay store.
Always great quality, fair prices and good service, so have recommended them many times to others.

I needed a new rod sleeve for the Blackrock freebie lure rod I got recently, so had a look on the Midwater Luggage eBay store - no rod sleeves listed.
OK, off to the website. Eventually found the rod sleeves page, which initially said "sold out". Refreshed the page, must have been a glitch, and they are still available, but nothing for rods of less than 11ft. Emailed Paul the boss on Monday - no reply as yet. Many reports online of items not turning up on time, if at all.
Not good - sounds like they have gone from Heros to Zero in recent months. Still hoping for a reply, but it's not looking good.

Ok - Update.

I decided to send Midwater a message via eBay after my post this morning. I did get a reply, but via email, not my eBay message.

Apparently, the procedure for ordering rod sleeves now is to submit the length of the rod sections via email, purchase an 11ft rod sleeve via the website, and then submit the order number for the 11ft one, again quoting the length of the rod sections for the correct size to be made.

All a bit complicated - I fail to understand why they are no longer offering the range of sizes IE from 4ft rod sleeves and upwards.
Also a pain in the butt that rod sleeves are no longer available on eBay.
Paul did say that they are rarely asked for sleeves for rods less than 11ft now, which I find hard to believe.
Rod sleeve ordered, and I'm in no rush, but it did say on the website standard delivery could be up to 3 weeks.
I sort of get that, as all of their items are custom made to order, but never previously known communication or service to be so slow.

Sleeves are usually well padded and you can usually put the rod inside with the reel and rig still attached. If you can get the rod apart that is 😉
Ah I’m with you! Like the carp guys use?

Sleeve? Do you mean rod bags?

Midwater call them sleeves or bags. I've bought quite a few in the past and they are unbeatable quality for the money.

So your saying.... not good.
and battering them.
Then ordering stuff, is that a fair assessment?

They've always had them available in their eBay store before. I've ordered quite a few and they've been made & delivered in about a week.
I thought it was a bit poor that it took 4 days to answer an email and messages, plus I find it strange that they have reduced the range of sizes available. Because they are such good quality, I don't know where else I could have gone to get similar.

Midwater call them sleeves or bags. I've bought quite a few in the past and they are unbeatable quality for the money.

I’ve never heard them called sleeves but as you say, they do!

So are you after just standard cloth rod bags or as Alan said, a padded one to put rod and reel in?

I’ve never heard them called sleeves but as you say, they do!

So are you after just standard cloth rod bags or as Alan said, a padded one to put rod and reel in?
Just a standard bag to put the recently acquired lure rod in. Midwater luggage bags are more of a quite thick ripstop nylon type material and are very good. If out & about, don't need padded bags as mine go in a shoulder holdall, in their rod bags.

I've only ever had one rod bag that would take the reel too - sold that rod some months ago. I don't like leaving reels on rods - most of mine have their own reel cases.

The thin material like things rods come in i have always known them as "rod bags"

I did buy a Reddington fly rod that came in a "bag" which was within a "rod tube" ;) ;)

Just a standard bag to put the recently acquired lure rod in. Midwater luggage bags are more of a quite thick ripstop nylon type material and are very good. If out & about, don't need padded bags as mine go in a shoulder holdall, in their rod bags.

I've only ever had one rod bag that would take the reel too - sold that rod some months ago. I don't like leaving reels on rods - most of mine have their own reel cases.
Agreed, never really saw the point myself for the sake of whatever time it saves.
Perhaps, maybe for lighter lure gear where people are constantly moving but that’s not something I do anyway.
Lure fishing or moving! 😂😂😂

Not wishing to hi-jack Trampster's thread, but what about open ended rod quivers anyone - any economy recommends ? - something to just loosely slip a few made-up or split/bagged rods into to get to the beach/mark from the car-park.

(I have a 2nd-hand 210cm Cypry padded carry bag which I bought more for rod storage at home rather than travelling with a selection of rods. It can hold 10+ rods in various set-up states with its 8 roomy butt/rod pockets and 2 roomy long/deep outer pockets. However, too cumbersome really for taking a few rods out-&-about and I'd really like an open-end quiver. Yes, I've searched on-line, but too many false - i.e. non-quiver - options come up. Hence my request for recommends for a proper rod quiver.)

Last edited:
Not wishing to hi-jack Trampster's thread, but what about open ended rod quivers anyone - any economy recommends ? - something to just loosely slip a few made-up or split/bagged rods into to get to the beach/mark from the car-park.

(I have a 2nd-hand 210cm Cypry padded carry bag which I bought more for rod storage at home rather than travelling with a selection of rods. It can hold 10+ rods in various set-up states with its 8 roomy butt/rod pockets and 2 roomy long/deep outer pockets. However, too cumbersome really for taking a few rods out-&-about and I'd really like an open-end quiver. Yes, I've searched on-line, but too many false - i.e. non-quiver - options come up. Hence my request for recommends for a proper rod quiver.)
Midwater do 'em in various lengths

Or one of these?

Or this one?

I've got the Shakespeare Agility rod quiver (which they seem to have stopped making). I bought it as it was a good price, is extendable for longer rod sections. and has a pouch & straps for my Shakespeare tripod.

West bay Angling have a good selection - have a browse.

I've got the Shakespeare Agility rod quiver (which they seem to have stopped making). I bought it as it was a good price, is extendable for longer rod sections. and has a pouch & straps for my Shakespeare tripod.

West bay Angling have a good selection - have a browse.
Ah, right - so "holdall" can equal "quiver". Thanks for the links Trampster.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back