• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

newbie pondering a few things

markh

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
i started off with a sonik vader 13ft beach caster(will return to this in the winter as rigs seem more of a winter thing) but seen alot people with short lighter stuff so after googling (before discovering here) i bought a shamino fx4000 reel and a abu garcia devil spin 9ft 15-40gm rod

the reel came with 0.33 mono im guessing this is around 12-15lb? will i need a shockleader with this for above casting weights?

am i good to go with this or do i need to respool with somthing else ?

what are good starter lures for mackeral and bass ?

cheers in advance for info

Hi Mark. No experience of Sonik rods, but I've got a 9ft 20 - 60gm Abu spinning rod too.
Your reel sounds OK, and the Mono line. If you were using Braid, I would say a rubbing leader (not a shock leader) would be a good idea, but as you are using mono, you shouldn't need it. Braid is not good at withstanding rubbing on rocks and similar.

That Abu rod is designed to cast lures between 15 to 40gms, so a shock leader shouldn't be required. There is probably a 'sweet spot' between the 15 & 40gms where the rod is at its best. I wouldn't recommend using lures much over 40gms.

Since you are just starting out, I would recommend a Savage Gear Seeker, (or a Surf Seeker which is slightly heavier), maybe a Dexter wedge, and a surface lure like a Savage Gear Panic Prey. All 3 of those won't break the bank.
I would recommend a small swivel between the mainline and the Seekers, as they rotate on the drop and can cause line twist. Some folk prefer to use a single hook as opposed to a Treble, as they cause less damage to any fish you have to return.

A lot of things in Angling are very much a case of personal preference, so no doubt other good Anglers on here will have other suggestions.
Buying lures can get addictive, and expensive! It also depends what you are hoping to catch!

mainly mackeral and bass be nice on the lure but happy to catch anything its all for the destress lol ive a dexter wedge set 28 and 38g ill look at thous others

Rod & reel set up is fine,I would suggest getting a couple of dexter wedges, two different weights.I always put a rattle bead or 2 infront of the lure,it works for me.

Last edited:

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back