• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice New zziplex rod spigots

Tomthewelshie

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all,

Just wondering how similar the zziplex spigots are to the century ones? Do they suffer the same pain in the arse with swelling etc

Thanks

spent a little time cleaning spiggots on my new profie blank and its fine.
as has all my centurys and older zzippys since having to walk 5 miles with my old hst stuck together years back.

Been documented for enough years to know to do that now
And guess what.. No more problems.

spent a little time cleaning spiggots on my new profie blank and its fine.
as has all my centurys and older zzippys since having to walk 5 miles with my old hst stuck together years back.

Been documented for enough years to know to do that now
And guess what.. No more problems.

I’ve had to do it multiple times on my super match graphex and it’s starting to piss me off no end. Everything fits perfectly at home, take it fishing a week later and I’m fighting it again. Infuriating

Ok. Sorry was in a rush when i posted earlier.
So will add a bit more.
Rightly or wrongly I gently chamfer the bottom of the male spiggot.
This seems to stop the sharp edge causing carbon deposits within the female spiggot.
I also apply a very thin coat of clear nail varnish to the chamfered edge.
I believe this stops any moisture ingress into the bare carbon if that is such a thing.
Now none of the above may be right... but it seems to have solved the problem for me along with regular cleaning.
And yes I agree rods shouldnt be like that.

Ok. Sorry was in a rush when i posted earlier.
So will add a bit more.
Rightly or wrongly I gently chamfer the bottom of the male spiggot.
This seems to stop the sharp edge causing carbon deposits within the female spiggot.
I also apply a very thin coat of clear nail varnish to the chamfered edge.
I believe this stops any moisture ingress into the bare carbon if that is such a thing.
Now none of the above may be right... but it seems to have solved the problem for me along with regular cleaning.
And yes I agree rods shouldnt be like that.
Reducing the generation of carbon dust is a great first step! cnc manufacture or not.

I have had the butt cap remove the butt etched metal ring, that is equally annoying.
I talked to a rodmaker and his reply was along the lines of "they all [century] do that sir".

Not for that sort of money they shouldn't.

I. Noticed that the new zziplex rods have less spigot showing than the older models, I have 2 20+ old t-zeros who have more spigot show than the new m4 gts , so i wounder are they going to last long with regular use , seems my old t-zeros are going to last longer useing them along side the m4gt , time will tell

I. Noticed that the new zziplex rods have less spigot showing than the older models, I have 2 20+ old t-zeros who have more spigot show than the new m4 gts , so i wounder are they going to last long with regular use , seems my old t-zeros are going to last longer useing them along side the m4gt , time will tell
Bit of a quandary, if there's too much sticking out do you "blend" it in slowly using vasaline to make a very effective cutting agent with the carbon dust or do you have a not fully seated joint when you are power casting?
What length of joint is exposed on these particular rods? 19-24mm?

Last edited:
Bit of a quandary, if there's too much sticking out do you "blend" it in slowly using vasaline to make a very effective cutting agent with the carbon dust or do you have a not fully seated joint when you are power casting?
What length of joint is exposed on these particular rods? 19-24mm?
I’d say half an inch. On the new m4gt I have and I didn’t have to do any thing to them , yet my old t/zeros have a much longer spigot almost a good inch. and they’ve had 20 odd years of regular use and still a good tight fit but-the new m4gt is quite slack and tobe very honest I don’t personally think they will have much life in them compared to my old zero

I’d say half an inch. On the new m4gt I have and I didn’t have to do any thing to them , yet my old t/zeros have a much longer spigot almost a good inch. and they’ve had 20 odd years of regular use and still a good tight fit but-the new m4gt is quite slack and tobe very honest I don’t personally think they will have much life in them compared to my old zero
1/2 inch a bit small Mike. Normally I`d be happy with 15 -18mm showing

1/2 inch a bit small Mike. Normally I`d be happy with 15 -18mm showing
I was thinking the same stan that’s how it came had it a few months now but used 4-5 times , to late to send it back I think , and iv not touched the spigot , I bet if i really tryed I bet I could but it right up to the joint

I was thinking the same stan that’s how it came had it a few months now but used 4-5 times , to late to send it back I think , and iv not touched the spigot , I bet if i really tryed I bet I could but it right up to the joint

Coat the male with bondaseal then a light rub down

Coat the male with bondaseal then a light rub down
Which is about the best advice you'll get.

With the etched butt ring I built up the male portion on the end of the butt with the ultra thin self adhesive tape [0.1mm] used to fix phone and pc boards until it was just so then used brute force and rotation to get it back on and stuck.

Last edited:
That suks;

F'me we used to winge about Terry and Lees's neverendingum spigots and hand matching them with vaseline and carbon dust :ROFLMAO:

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back