• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Kingswell telescopic medium-heavy 6.9' rod

Casker

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I'm a bit spent-out (= over-budget) on tackle right now and I don't really need much else for the moment (!?), BUT I've repeatedly come across very positive reviews of the (USA brand) Kingswell Med/Heavy 6.9' telescopic rod. Anyone here owning one ?

Last edited:
Not familiar with the Kingswell brand.

I bought a telescopic rod a few years ago when I was on holiday. It's a good travel rod and has has a lot of use. As it's got older I find that it can sometimes telescope at the wrong moment if I'm not careful. It still goes away on holiday with me as an all round rod for whatever I'm fishing for. I've more recently been using a four section rod by NGT which still packs small for travel but feels more secure. Both rods are ideal for attaching to the rucksack when roving around.

I've never heard of Kingswell either. 6' 9" ?? Not a lot of good for anything unless it's a Boat rod.

EDIT: I've had a look now, and it's a lure rod. Max casting weight of 1.5oz, and that length of rod is not going to cast far.

Last edited:
Not familiar with the Kingswell brand.

I bought a telescopic rod a few years ago when I was on holiday. It's a good travel rod and has has a lot of use. As it's got older I find that it can sometimes telescope at the wrong moment if I'm not careful. It still goes away on holiday with me as an all round rod for whatever I'm fishing for. I've more recently been using a four section rod by NGT which still packs small for travel but feels more secure. Both rods are ideal for attaching to the rucksack when roving around.
No doubt a four piece (or more) travel rod will be more robust, but I like the ability to carry a tele' rod rigged-up with only the terminal rig to be added (via clip/snap or line-loop) at the fishing destination.

Last edited:
I've never heard of Kingswell either. 6' 9" ?? Not a lot of good for anything unless it's a Boat rod.

EDIT: I've had a look now, and it's a lure rod. Max casting weight of 1.5oz, and that length of rod is not going to cast far.
Yeah, that's what I thought also. However, the attached YouTube video link suggests it can actually cast a fair distance. The type of lens used for the recording at around 8.57 mins/secs in could be "distorting" distance, but I'd say it can cast a surprisingly good distance even with low weight lure/bait ! They do a 7'10" also, but with medium power (rather than medium/heavy): can't find demo of that one as the 6.9' seems to be the one folk go for. (Some-where, I read that it seems to be able to handle as much as 2oz casting weight well enough.)

Last edited:
Looks OK, but he is fishing a pond or lake with a'captive amount' of fish within a short range. Not sure how well that would work from the shore. I wouldn't go below 9ft for a shore rod - even my old Tele rod is just over 9ft. I'd be tempted to look for something longer.
Pleased as punch with my Abu Garcia Tormentor 9ft lure rod, but it's not telescopic.

Looks OK, but he is fishing a pond or lake with a'captive amount' of fish within a short range. Not sure how well that would work from the shore. I wouldn't go below 9ft for a shore rod - even my old Tele rod is just over 9ft. I'd be tempted to look for something longer.
Pleased as punch with my Abu Garcia Tormentor 9ft lure rod, but it's not telescopic.
Good point and, until I know my beaches better, probably best to keep to longer rods (no rush).
Some folk do post vids re using shorter rods for shore fishing though - I attach link to one example.

Also, YouTubers like Hey Skipper do try out some wacky rod set-ups from the beach (usually with success or they wouldn't post): his tiny rod experiment is a bit of a laugh

Last edited:

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back