• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Jolly Boys do Norway Part 2

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Continuing the adventures at Sorvaer on the island of Soroya in Northern Norway, day 3 started off a bit shitty weather-wise, not terrible but wet and breezy, enough to convince us to stay fairly local and check out various inshore marks as well as push around to halibooby bay if the weather allowed.
Those plans were about to change drastically, however...!
IMG_2293.jpeg

A chance encounter with Anders the fishing guide by me outside saw him mention they had plans to push out to the fabled reef of Storskalltaren - it's 30 miles offshore and a relatively shallow plateau in the middle of nowhere that holds a wealth of big fish and is essentially the Mecca of Norway fishing.

He was on his way to brief a Polish crew that was also going and would pop back to our house after to give us a time, though it looked like it would be
after lunch.
The weather, he said, was a perfect window and the winds and swell would be dropping all the time. Btw, he lied, that swell was with us all day 🙄

I had been looking forward to our mixed fishing mooching around inshore, but that reef is often unattainable for weeks at a time and if the guides say it's good to go, you don't turn down the opportunity, so we went!
It gave us the morning off and a bit of time to consolidate our gear and for James to cook us a very nice paella too! 😋😋😋

Down at the dock for 1pm, it turned out Gustaf the Ninja Master of Fishing Guides (more on that later) was now crew-less as one of the Poles had
apparently had a panic attack and was literally shaking - whether from the thought of going that far out to sea or for some other reason, Gustaf didn't know.
Anyway, he was crew-less so could he come with us and we'd take the guide boat? I must admit I was reluctant at first, not for having a guide, but
just couldn't be arsed to shift all the gear from our boat, however common-sense prevailed and that's what we did.
IMG_2297.jpeg

As it turned out, he did me a huge favour - the steam out was hellish and no way I'd have wanted to drive that far. Aside from having less experience,
it's damned draining, not to mention boring, to have to focus on driving in big messy swells for two hours.
Nope, Gustaf was the man for that job!
IMG_2509.png

I thought it was miserable and wet enough in the passenger seat next to him - we were already wet from standing at the dock and the hire floatation suits were NOT waterproof!
The bigger seas were daunting, but the guides know what they're about, so I didn't have any safety concerns, but it was a very uncomfortable journey.
However, when we finally arrived, I realised Rich and Tat had seen their arses royally pounded by sitting on the box seat at the stern and Rich was totally soaked, so I counted my blessings!

We finally got there and you could see the impressive Storskalltaren reef rising from the depths on the 3D plotter, a fish heaven!
To start with we fished the 100-150m depths off the reef, where THAT record breaking cod had been caught by a boat from Sandland not very long before.

The order of this might not be quite right so the guys can correct me if not, but I got the ball rolling with a half decent 8-10lb coalie...
IMG_2307.jpeg

That was soon totally eclipsed by Rich landing a 19lb specimen that went like a train on light gear.
IMG_2311.jpeg

Rich also had a nice cod in the 35lb range and followed it up by a 50 pound beast that had a huge head, but was clearly spawned out and would have easily gone 60lb-plus if not 70lb during breeding season.
IMG_2319.jpeg

The news from the other boat guided by Anders was less encouraging - Ollie and Jon were badly seasick, Jon was feeding the fishies and James had dropped two halibut.
What was going wrong over there?
It transpired James had brought a BANANA 🍌 on board!!! Oh dear.
I suggested best nuke it from orbit, only way to be sure, but in any event the offending fruit was eventually thrown over the side and things improved.

James had a decent cod, Jon had a 145cm halibut...
d794ca0a-8bcd-4489-95d6-b0a30e0dc3eb.jpeg

And Jonny had a wolf fish, overcoming his urge to shriek by making friends with it...

Continues below....

Last edited:
Over on our boat, things had slowed a bit. We had a few lowish double cod ie teens and 20s maybe, nothing by Norway standards, but the more iconic fish were eluding us.

For myself, I knew I wasn't fishing as hard or as effectively as I should have been. I was just soooo tired, wet through, cold and struggled to really
make the best of it.
It was like being parachuted into the Playboy Mansion and then discovering you couldn't get a hard-on...
I wasn't going to suggest quitting (the other Polish crew had wanted to go back after three hours because they were cold and hungry!) but I admit I did struggle to make the best use of the opportunity and those guides fish hard
for LONG periods!

Tat, you might want to stop reading at this point.... 😬😬😬

Towards the end of the trip and at about 11pm at night, I was half asleep on my feet at the stern, attempting to focus on fishing, when Tat's halibut
deadbait rod screamed off and threatened to go over the side.
Which is ironic really, because he grabbed it, fumbled with cold hands that have little grip after a lifetime of building... and let go of the rod over
the side. 😱
The expensive hire gear belonging to the camp too.

My tired brain was thinking: 'For a minute there, I though he threw his rod overboard...' 😳😳😳
While my brain was trying to process what I'd just seen and Rich at the bow was asking 'did his rod go in?' Gustaf the Ninja Master Fishing Guide leapt into action.
He grabbed his spin fishing rod with lure attached and cast towards where the rod had disappeared.
No chance, I thought, turning away...

But feck me if he didn't hook the rod through an eye - and then proceeded to very carefully play the huge halibut with rod attached on his own rod!!!
If I hadn't seen it, I still wouldn't have believed it - what are the odds of that?!!!
Gustaf asked me to take the helm and adjust the boat to help the fight - no credit for that, I just did as he asked, back, forward, left a bit, right a
bit....
Then the lost rod surfaced and Tat was back playing the fish as nature intended.
IMG_2510.png

He can tell you for himself, but it was clearly HUGE and he said it was like trying to lift a car on a fishing rod.

This went on for several minutes, then disaster struck - I couldn't say exactly what happened, but there was a bit of fumbling as he adjusted the
rod, the line went slack, and the fish was gone.... ☹️

Tat, obviously, was gutted. Not much you can say in consolation, but as I pointed out, the hook hold can't have been great and we can never assume we will land something that big, it's in the lap of the gods.
You shouldn't lose a 40-50lber with a fairly decent hook hold, but those big ones, I think you almost have to go into it expecting to lose them, anything
else is a bonus - but what an experience.

We fished on for another hour, maybe two, Tat obviously keen to get his revenge on a halibut, any halibut, but it just wasn't to be.
Rich was coming down with a nasty cold and I gave up the passenger seat for an arse pounding at the stern, but it wasn't nearly as bad on the run back and frankly, despite the bouncing boat and occasional drench of spray, I fell asleep for stretches of it!

I was going to do a couple of days' worth in this instalment, but I think that'll have to do for now - and it was one epic day with highs and lows.

c9884736-bc6a-4157-896d-e27f78ed1adc.jpeg

I’ll add that I actually hooked and landed a decent cod on this day whilst simultaneously puking the contents of my stomach over the side at the same time
That’s dedication! I didn’t have a pic of that and getting hard to remember what happened when, so please do add any relevant pics…

May I orso add wot an amazing experience being on that reef was whales an porpoises around the boat puffins everywhere huge huge shoals of fish showing up on the navionics and yes we did see my halibut retuning to the deep arfter I lost her a big dark red line heading to the seabed I’m kicking myself for loseing her whould have been one of the best Angerling story’s ever ☹️

May I orso add wot an amazing experience being on that reef was whales an porpoises around the boat puffins everywhere huge huge shoals of fish showing up on the navionics and yes we did see my halibut retuning to the deep arfter I lost her a big dark red line heading to the seabed I’m kicking myself for loseing her whould have been one of the best Angerling story’s ever ☹️
Fuckin dropper

Great fishing guys on what sounds like a tough day conditions wise. At least you had a few fish with the guide, usually been the kiss of death going with a guide in our limited experience- 2 occasions!

Over on our boat, things had slowed a bit. We had a few lowish double cod ie teens and 20s maybe, nothing by Norway standards, but the more iconic fish were eluding us.

For myself, I knew I wasn't fishing as hard or as effectively as I should have been. I was just soooo tired, wet through, cold and struggled to really
make the best of it.
It was like being parachuted into the Playboy Mansion and then discovering you couldn't get a hard-on...
I wasn't going to suggest quitting (the other Polish crew had wanted to go back after three hours because they were cold and hungry!) but I admit I did struggle to make the best use of the opportunity and those guides fish hard
for LONG periods!

Tat, you might want to stop reading at this point.... 😬😬😬

Towards the end of the trip and at about 11pm at night, I was half asleep on my feet at the stern, attempting to focus on fishing, when Tat's halibut
deadbait rod screamed off and threatened to go over the side.
Which is ironic really, because he grabbed it, fumbled with cold hands that have little grip after a lifetime of building... and let go of the rod over
the side. 😱
The expensive hire gear belonging to the camp too.

My tired brain was thinking: 'For a minute there, I though he threw his rod overboard...' 😳😳😳
While my brain was trying to process what I'd just seen and Rich at the bow was asking 'did his rod go in?' Gustaf the Ninja Master Fishing Guide leapt into action.
He grabbed his spin fishing rod with lure attached and cast towards where the rod had disappeared.
No chance, I thought, turning away...

But feck me if he didn't hook the rod through an eye - and then proceeded to very carefully play the huge halibut with rod attached on his own rod!!!
If I hadn't seen it, I still wouldn't have believed it - what are the odds of that?!!!
Gustaf asked me to take the helm and adjust the boat to help the fight - no credit for that, I just did as he asked, back, forward, left a bit, right a
bit....
Then the lost rod surfaced and Tat was back playing the fish as nature intended.
View attachment 66201

He can tell you for himself, but it was clearly HUGE and he said it was like trying to lift a car on a fishing rod.

This went on for several minutes, then disaster struck - I couldn't say exactly what happened, but there was a bit of fumbling as he adjusted the
rod, the line went slack, and the fish was gone.... ☹️

Tat, obviously, was gutted. Not much you can say in consolation, but as I pointed out, the hook hold can't have been great and we can never assume we will land something that big, it's in the lap of the gods.
You shouldn't lose a 40-50lber with a fairly decent hook hold, but those big ones, I think you almost have to go into it expecting to lose them, anything
else is a bonus - but what an experience.

We fished on for another hour, maybe two, Tat obviously keen to get his revenge on a halibut, any halibut, but it just wasn't to be.
Rich was coming down with a nasty cold and I gave up the passenger seat for an arse pounding at the stern, but it wasn't nearly as bad on the run back and frankly, despite the bouncing boat and occasional drench of spray, I fell asleep for stretches of it!

I was going to do a couple of days' worth in this instalment, but I think that'll have to do for now - and it was one epic day with highs and lows.

View attachment 66202
Ollie wrestling with holiday constipation 😖

Come on own up, you caught the cod on a proper lure and put the flat mat in its gob and put it back for a picture. No one has ever caught on a flat mat🤣. We’ll be seeing that flat Mat on the sale section soon🙈
Gods honest..
Only just removed it from its packing..
dropped it to the sea bed and as soon as it hit the bottom..
Bam
Rod bent and I was into a big fish on the light rod..

As it turned out, he did me a huge favour - the steam out was hellish and no way I'd have wanted to drive that far. Aside from having less experience,
it's damned draining, not to mention boring, to have to focus on driving in big messy swells for two hours.
Just another day at the office for a boat angler.

But yes, you are right, handling a boat over long distances in big swells is tiring, but you get into a rhythm which makes it easier.

Last year I was 35 miles out fishing the Murree, and the sea got steadily worse (not as forecast), then we were motoring back in a 15 - 20ft swell, it was like a fleet of double decker buses all the way back.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back