• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Is there a "rule of thumb" for saltwater fishing swivels. snaps/clips ?

For lure fishing I just use a Breakaway Mini Link, no swivel. Strong, easy to change lures. Some people will say that a swivel is essential to avoid all sorts of horrendous tangles but in my experience that ain't so.

For casting leads I'd recommend looking at good quality (eg Berkley) swivels that have a breaking strain well above your shock leader's. Even expensive swivels don't cost much so there's nothing much to be gained from using cheapo, suspect, ones.

I used to like the take-apart Dexter QF swivels to join rig to main line but I don't think they're available any more.

You are overthinking things use the lightest swivel you can comfortably get away with, stronger more powerful swivels are heavier/bigger more likely to snag some swivels are thinner and more likely to cut into thicker mono, it's just common sense

For general beach casting any component in line with the lead needs to be a MINIMUM of 10lb per oz of lead.
I use a minimum size 5 - 80lb Berkley cross-lok snap swivel on the shock leader (size3 100lb if I have them)
or for lure fishing a size 10 - 40lb or 12 - 30lb.

Within reason, I don’t think the size matters terribly, as you say… BUT not all swivels are created equal!
The smaller cheaper wire barrel swivels don’t stand up well to corrosion and I’ve recovered swivels from line snags that have literally crumbled away in my fingers.

Obviously no way of knowing how long they were underwater, but bear in mind once you’ve used one and despite whatever measures you take, they’ll be quietly corroding away in your tackle box or rig wallet if they are damp in any way.

Okay yes, you can use new ones each time. Personally I like to spend a bit more on rig components and use them more than once.

I tend to buy the crane swivel types that are rated at around the 100-150lb mark - they don’t corrode easily and aren’t huge either.
I’ve used even smaller cranes for estuary or float fishing and never had one fail, though obviously I’d step them up a bit for beach casting and harder fighting fish such as hounds.
Veals do a good range.

Swivel size ratings aren’t necessarily created equal either so a 1/0 in one brand may not be the same as another.

It’s a pretty integral component so not one to cut corners on, so don’t buy cheap, but you don’t have to spend a fortune either.

Much like hooks, it’s a trial and error process that’s personal to the individual - you’ll buy a brand and think ‘ooh don’t like these, too bendy/weak/whatever’ and opt for something different.

These are what I use. Size 3 isn’t a bad shout for most shore fishing, but you can step it up to 1/0 if you want, the fish won’t care

I only use swivels as connectors if I’m using a fixed spool. Otherwise it’s fastlink to fastlink. The only exception is my capsule rigs and I was using varivas three way swivels, but I’ve moved onto seadra ones now. Never had either make fail on me.

Rule of thumb. Don't buy the shit ones.
Personally I like to keep rig components small so size 12 or 10 power swivels for snoods, 6 or 7 for for any on the rig body taking the weight of the cast. For clips I use breakaway fastlink. Lure fishing I use the small breakway or the lighter wire ones with no swivel normally. I have a few metals though' large mepps and seatrout lures that will twist you line more without a free running quality swivel

Last edited:
Rule of thumb. Don't buy the shit ones.
Personally I like to keep rig components small so size 12 or 10 power swivels for snoods, 6 or 7 for for any on the rig body taking the weight of the cast. For clips I use breakaway fastlink. Lure fishing I use the small breakway or the lighter wire ones with no swivel normally. I have a few metals though' large mepps and seatrout lures that will twist you line more without a free running quality swivel
I’m not TOO precious about it for shore traces as long as they’re not huge things, I don’t think most fish really care, but certainly I try and go smaller rather than larger.

The issue I find when ordering online is I struggle to judge the actual size from the pictures. I know they put pics of rulers up etc but my brain doesn’t correlate that very well.

They sound like the business. Why is stuff engineered/made in Japan always so good ? My late father had many Japanese tools as do I (some inherited) - they just seem to do things right !
Yes not had any issues with them and the Varivas range generally is pretty decent, hooks, line etc.

I’d add that I’d support tackle shops if you could buy a bag of 50/100 swivels for a bearable price, but you can’t, or at least I can’t locally.
Used to have a very good shop that did that and yes maybe it was a couple of quid more but I didn’t mind that.
Sadly, they retired and closed down

Well, maybe I was overthinking this a wee bit actually @groundswell, BUT some great advice from you and the forum. Thanks all for your comments. The thing I've pocketed is "buy quality" (swivels, links etc) and, then that the size of good stuff (but not silly small for main-line & weights) won't actually matter TOO much for shore fishing. One more novice's quandary & further tackle-confidence sorted - thanks again.
Just be aware that swivel sizes and strengths can vary like hell. A 1/0 swivel from one store might be half the size of one from another.

I check the BS of the swivel before buying seeing as the size rating seems to vary but as I use 60lb leaders and rig bodies I use 60lb swivels, small and tidy…simples

Thanks @Mushty - I have now been educated sufficiently to tend towards tackle bits with a suggested BS rather than just #size. I've decided that (from now on) I won't buy anything that doesn't mention a braking strain unless it is otherwise a well-recommended tackle component for my intended use.
Unless of course you like to see your rig heading off to the horizon during a cast with swivels larger than the lead you’re using 🤔😂😂

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back