• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

I want to try sea fishing but not sure about a rod.

Geraint Reed

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I mainly do carp fishing and was wandering weather I could repurpose one of my rods to go sea fishing. So I was wandering what should be the suitable weight written on the rod that I could go sea fishing with

Hi Geraint, I do both coarse and sea, beach and boat .

For beach work, bass and flatties , your carp rods, any 2.5 lbs TC plus will be fine, coupled with something like a Spod reel , Shimano or similar , 15 lbs mono with a shock leader or braid .

I use a 2.5 TC carp rod and a Shimmy Aero 810 baitrunner with 30 lb braid, and a 60 lb braid leader or my Ultegras for Flatties and Bass, I usually use a 3 hook flapper with a 3 or 4 oz lead for flats and for bass either a deadbait or livebait , sometimes worm or peeler crab , same 3 or 4 oz plain sinker , you do not need to blast it out to the horizon, it works a treat . However it is only suitable for a reasonably calm sea, any sea running and you would need a proper beach rod.

If you wanted to try for Cod, or any rough ground venues unless you were float fishing using the above gear or lure fishing then you would need something with a bit more grunt .

Whereabouts in Wales are you, I will be on the Llyn myself from the 6 th August for a week.

Dave

Welcome to the forum, as Craig said, what type of fishing are you planning on doing,beach,pier or boat ?? I use a carp rod on my local beach for bass and flattie fishing. 🎣

Last edited:
Welcome to the Madhouse Geraint! 👍👍

I use my carp rods for flounder and turbot fishing.. as well as for mackerel fishing and lure work over rocks for pollack and other predators..
I really am not interested in spending money on fishing gear.. so they do me fine.

Where about are you planning on fishing and what for, that will determine what rod and reel to use.
And welcome to the forum.
Thank you, im planning on fishing in the Mwnt area, and I’m told by my friend he has only caught Sea bass and mackerel so far.
Where about are you planning on fishing and what for, that will determine what rod and reel to use.

I'm not local to that area and haven't fished it so can't be sure but from Google maps it looks quite rocky with the odd little beach.
Will you be lure fishing or bait fishing?

Welcome to the forum. Five years ago when I started boat fishing I had no idea what rod / reel to buy. In the end I got a Shakespeare Firebird 7 foot boat combo. The multiplier was spooled with 30 lbs mono. The combo can be bought for £40 (ish). The idea was it might last a season by which time I'd have a better idea of what I wanted before spending too much.
The Firebird rod a reel refuse to die. They have seen lots of use on my boat and been on charter boats. They have been dunked in salt water whilst kayak fishing and still come back for more.

I'm not in cahoots with Shakespeare but reckon for the money those combos can't be beaten. I've no doubt your carp rods will be fine - just wash them well after sea fishing.

I mainly do carp fishing and was wandering weather I could repurpose one of my rods to go sea fishing. So I was wandering what should be the suitable weight written on the rod that I could go sea fishing with
Hi Geraint
A carp rod would be fine for light estuary fishing for bass or plaice. I use a cheap one I picked up at a boot sale with a 2 or 3 ounce lead and it works fine.

Hi Geraint
A carp rod would be fine for light estuary fishing for bass or plaice. I use a cheap one I picked up at a boot sale with a 2 or 3 ounce lead and it works fine.

Good advice from Dave, @The Third Earl. A Carp rod with a decent Test Curve should do you for now, using light weights & baits on clean ground.

Good idea to keep an eye on on your local Gumtree for bargains, such as a 2nd hand beach rod or reel for heavier ground.

A carp rod has enough 'beef' to handle light shore fishing, whether ledgering from the shore, floating fishing or lure fishing from rocks etc. Ideal rod for catching flatties, bass and pollack from shore marks. Why spend money if the rod you have will suffice.

Absolutely! You can repurpose a carp rod for sea fishing, but there are a few things to consider. The most important factor is the rod's casting weight, which determines what type of sea fishing it can handle. For general shore fishing, look for a rod with a casting weight of around 3-6 oz (85-170g). This will give you enough power to cast heavier sea fishing rigs and handle the stronger currents. If you're fishing from a pier or boat, you might want something heavier, around 6-8 oz (170-225g) or more, depending on the species you're targeting and the conditions.

Make sure to also consider saltwater corrosion on the reel and guides, as sea fishing gear tends to need more maintenance than freshwater setups. Tight lines!

It seems the go to test curve for modern carp rods is about 3 3/4lb tc, that would launch a 4.5oz lead quite happily!

My 3lb tc rods are currently launching a large pva bag with a 3.5oz lead and all the boilies etc in the bag 60-70yrds quite comfortably, the end result must be close to 6oz In weight. It makes a splash the dam busters would have been proud of when it hits the water! 🙄

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back