• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast I never learn

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
A mate and I decided to meet up at Ferrybridge on Chesil yesterday - he travels from the Surrey direction so it’s about mid way for us.

@Tatunka joe gave me lots of good advice, especially on rigs, but work and a busy few days meant all I really had time to do was throw the basics in my seatbox and figure it out down there.
I did have to strip off brand new 15lb line from a reel and replace as there was a knot 100 yards plus into the reel, caused during the last surf beach trip and I couldn’t shift it, very annoying.

I had a blood test in the morning and a bit more work so didn’t leave home until 1pm, destination Ferrybridge.
Well, there was pretty much every annoyance known to man on the roads and for the record of total numpties per mile, I think the A35 to Dorset holds the prize.
It’s actually not a bad road but my god you get some clueless slow morons on there.
What really took the prize was what I assume was a cyclist who held up a half mile long traffic queue for 2-3 miles at speeds of 10-15mph.
Half way between Abbotsbury and Weymouth we were back up to 50mph, so I assume they turned off, which was a shame as I had quite a few things I’d wanted to say to them when I got past them.

Oh, at West Bay I did something I haven’t done for decades - bought a ready made rig.
Sheer laziness but Tat had suggested loop rigs or at least very long traces. Unfortunately the choice was it seemed two hook clipped down, or one hook clipped down.
I bought a two hook as didn’t even think I had any of those pre tied.

ANYWAY, finally met my mate in the car park at 4pm and we trudged up the mountain high bank.
We couldn’t go where I’d been directed as it was tent city and plenty of fluff chuckers, so trudged a few hundred yards down the bank to a good sized gap. Neither of us like people close if we can help it!

IMG_3775.jpeg

I put out the two hook clipped rig with rag and squid on to start, plus a home made up n over pop up affair with mackerel strip, targets being bream, gurnards, triggers, mackerel, scad, whatever really.

It was intended as a meet up and social rather than a serious fishing trip, and Tat had warned the small tides wouldn’t be great, but it was nice to get out after a shitty couple of weeks.

My mate can cast a fair distance, me not so much, but between us we covered the ranges.

There were birds working when we arrived and I got some feathers on as quickly as I could, but it yielded nothing.
I usually keep a third rod set up with feathers on Chesil in the summer and just have a few chucks for 10 minutes here and there, especially if I spot any fish jumping and solely to get fresh bait.

Anyway, very little happened for the first three hours. My mate had a few nibbles and stripped bait, I wasn’t really concentrating too hard on fishing and it was nice just to be out in the sun again.

I’m did unearth the Holy Stone, to which I prayed to fervently hoping our luck would change 🙏🙏🙏

IMG_3779.jpeg

As dusk approached, he had a twatfish, my new name for tiny bootlace congers and then finally I had a decent bite on the pop up mackerel strip and brought in…. a mackerel.
Unfortunately forget to take a pic but it was a pretty chunky one, over a pound and fat - fresh bait at least.
That was reserved for fresh ray baits after dark and I tried the feathers in earnest to get a bit more bait.
I hooked one or two at range but they dropped off halfway to shore, so that was that.

As the light went I finally had one small bream on the rag worm…

IMG_3781.jpeg

Maybe the Holy Stone was working! But he giveth, and he taketh away, so the next fish on that rig was a twatfish and the rig was dead.

A few words on the shop bought rig - it was okay, seemed reasonably well made, but overly fussy with crimps, springs and sliding stops for my liking. My own version is a lot more agricultural.
Plus I use Amnesia for all of my trace line and even the worst eel tangle can be unraveled - this one was wanked, I could see that after a minute trying to untangle it.
I’ll replace the hook traces when I have time, but it was done for the day.

The pop up mackerel rig was also starting to attract twatfish, so both rods went over to bigger mackerel baits or whole squid, including the fresh mackerel.

Oh, when we walked down I saw bike tyre tracks and did wonder at the point, because you might get down shingle with the help of gravity, but you’ve still got to get back up.
Sure enough, we saw this prize plum very slowly pushing his bike back up the shingle mountain towards dusk.
Easier just to walk, surely?

IMG_3777.jpeg

Darkness descended… and so did the twatfish hordes - fawsands of ‘em!
Mackerel strip close in had been suggested for scad and I tried but the twats found it first.

Then they found the fresh mackerel, whole squid, fresh mackerel head in the gutter, oh yes, they enjoyed it all.
Any bait sent out soon developed the tell tale jerking rattling bites and resulted in either a tiny eel, or a slimy messy ball of line and rig components.

I couldn’t get the camera to focus while holding one handed, but you get the idea.
However, this rig included Amnesia and was untangled in two minutes and fishing again two minutes after that.

IMG_3783.jpeg

My mate persevered with worm and had a few pout too, but the eel fest was soul destroying.
We gave it until 12.30am then packed up.

Yet another successful Chesil trip 🙄

It was good to meet up and always good company but I freely admit I didn’t really follow the good local advice I’d been given, mainly just down to not having time to prepare anything, so it was very much a chuck it and chance it trip.

Unrelated to the fishing but I’d felt okay all day - on the way back up the shingle all my energy disappeared in one go, it was a huge struggle just to get back to the car.
The joys of weird health conditions 🙄

More worrying, by the time I was on the outskirts of Weymouth I had a pounding headache, felt nauseous, woozy and tired as hell.
I struggled on to Honiton then had to find a lay-by and shut my eyes for an hour.
After that I was more alert and able to continue, though it returned as I neared home, but I eventually got back at 5.15am.
Needless to say I hadn’t driven very fast at all, more Miss Daisy then the blitz back I’d intended.

First time this has happened. Very similar symptoms to when I used to get vertigo attacks, but without the actual world spinning part.

However… I hadn’t eaten since the night before, so probably about 30 hours by then (!) plus my other condition makes me liable to fatigue anyway, so I think I literally pushed things too far and my body was letting me know about it.
I ate a reasonable snack when I got home and almost instantly felt better, so definitely need to make sure I eat next time!

A mate and I decided to meet up at Ferrybridge on Chesil yesterday - he travels from the Surrey direction so it’s about mid way for us.

@Tatunka joe gave me lots of good advice, especially on rigs, but work and a busy few days meant all I really had time to do was throw the basics in my seatbox and figure it out down there.
I did have to strip off brand new 15lb line from a reel and replace as there was a knot 100 yards plus into the reel, caused during the last surf beach trip and I couldn’t shift it, very annoying.

I had a blood test in the morning and a bit more work so didn’t leave home until 1pm, destination Ferrybridge.
Well, there was pretty much every annoyance known to man on the roads and for the record of total numpties per mile, I think the A35 to Dorset holds the prize.
It’s actually not a bad road but my god you get some clueless slow morons on there.
What really took the prize was what I assume was a cyclist who held up a half mile long traffic queue for 2-3 miles at speeds of 10-15mph.
Half way between Abbotsbury and Weymouth we were back up to 50mph, so I assume they turned off, which was a shame as I had quite a few things I’d wanted to say to them when I got past them.

Oh, at West Bay I did something I haven’t done for decades - bought a ready made rig.
Sheer laziness but Tat had suggested loop rigs or at least very long traces. Unfortunately the choice was it seemed two hook clipped down, or one hook clipped down.

ANYWAY, finally met my mate in the car park at 4pm and we trudged up the mountain high bank.
We couldn’t go where I’d been directed as it was tent city and plenty of fluff chuckers, so trudged a few hundred yards down the bank to a good sized gap. Neither of us like people close if we can help it!

View attachment 69832

I put out the two hook clipped rig with rag and squid on to start, plus a home made up n over pop up affair with mackerel strip, targets being bream, gurnards, triggers, mackerel, scad, whatever really.

It was intended as a meet up and social rather than a serious fishing trip, and Tat had warned the small tides wouldn’t be great, but it was nice to get out after a shitty couple of weeks.

My mate can cast a fair distance, me not so much, but between us we covered the ranges.

There were birds working when we arrived and I got some feathers on as quickly as I could, but it yielded nothing.
I usually keep a third rod set up with feathers on Chesil in the summer and just have a few chucks for 10 minutes here and there, especially if I spot any fish jumping and solely to get fresh bait.

Anyway, very little happened for the first three hours. My mate had a few nibbles and stripped bait, I wasn’t really concentrating too hard on fishing and it was nice just to be out in the sun again.

I’m did unearth the Holy Stone, to which I prayed to fervently hoping our luck would change 🙏🙏🙏

View attachment 69834

As dusk approached, he had a twatfish, my new name for tiny bootlace congers and then finally I had a decent bite on the pop up mackerel strip and brought in…. a mackerel.
Unfortunately forget to take a pic but it was a pretty chunky one, over a pound and fat - fresh bait at least.
That was reserved for fresh ray baits after dark and I tried the feathers in earnest to get a bit more bait.
I hooked one or two at range but they dropped off halfway to shore, so that was that.

View attachment 69833

Maybe the Holy Stone was working! But he giveth, and he taketh away, so the next fish on that rig was a twatfish and the rig was dead.

A few words on the shop bought rig - it was okay, seemed reasonably well made, but overly fussy with crimps, springs and sliding stops for my liking. My own version is a lot more agricultural.
Plus I use Amnesia for all of my trace line and even the worst eel tangle can be unraveled - this one was wanked, I could see that after a minute trying to untangle it.

The pop up mackerel rig was also starting to attract twatfish, so both rods went over to bigger mackerel baits or whole squid, including the fresh mackerel.

Oh, when we walked down I saw bike tyre tracks and did wonder at the point, because you might get down shingle with the help of gravity, but you’ve still got to get back up.
Sure enough, we saw this prize plum very slowly pushing his bike back up the shingle mountain towards dusk.

View attachment 69835

Mackerel strip close in had been suggested for scad and I tried but the twats found it first.

Then they found the fresh mackerel, whole squid, fresh mackerel head in the gutter, oh yes, they enjoyed it all.
Any bait sent out soon developed the tell tale jerking rattling bites and resulted in either a tiny eel, or a slimy messy ball of line and rig components.

I couldn’t get the camera to focus while holding one handed, but you get the idea.
However, this rig included Amnesia and was untangled in two minutes and fishing again two minutes after that.

View attachment 69836

My mate persevered with worm and had a few pout too, but the eel fest was soul destroying.

It was good to meet up and always good company but I freely admit I didn’t really follow the good local advice I’d been given, mainly just down to not having time to prepare anything, so it was very much a chuck it and chance it trip.

Unrelated to the fishing but I’d felt okay all day - on the way back up the shingle all my energy disappeared in one go, it was a huge struggle just to get back to the car.

More worrying, by the time I was on the outskirts of Weymouth I had a pounding headache, felt nauseous, woozy and tired as hell.
I struggled on to Honiton then had to find a lay-by and shut my eyes for an hour.
After that I was more alert and able to continue, though it returned as I neared home, but I eventually got back at 5.15am.
Needless to say I hadn’t driven very fast at all, more Miss Daisy then the blitz back I’d intended.

First time this has happened. Very similar symptoms to when I used to get vertigo attacks, but without the actual world spinning part.

However… I hadn’t eaten since the night before, so probably about 30 hours by then (!) plus my other condition makes me liable to fatigue anyway, so I think I literally pushed things too far and my body was letting me know about it.
I ate a reasonable snack when I got home and almost instantly felt better, so definitely need to make sure I eat next time!
How many miles you go from home to there?

Mates son can put you on Bass or tope up here, rather than catch a twatfish ;) ;)

How many miles you go from home to there?

Mates son can put you on Bass or tope up here, rather than catch a twatfish ;) ;)
Oh, I can get bass here, they’re pretty easy. Tope too, but I won’t fish for them off our rock marks, they get too battered.

Umm, it’s about 100 miles, but anywhere in Wales is a longer journey from here.

I go down there occasionally to target fish we don’t see so much, bream, plaice, sole, gurnard, undulates, that sort of thing.

Plus it’s about meeting my mate too and it’s a totally different fishing experience to what we have here, I like the variety.

Well you did push the boundaries! And you should know better at your age?? Great write up and pics. You caught more than me when I went last year, only bream for the bloody week is all i caught. My mate had a veriatie.

Another good write up Tony. Shame the 'Holy Stone' didn't bring you more luck. 🎣🎣👍👍

I’ve got the delights of twatfish to look forward to in a couple of weeks. One year we were catching them three at a time. I usually fish a third rod on long pop ups for mackerel, much easier than feathering. I’d like to catch a spotted ray, but they’re not exactly common.

View attachment 69832

View attachment 69834

View attachment 69833

View attachment 69835

View attachment 69836

Nice write up @Mr Fish shame about the poor fishing and hope you do better on the next trip. Good to hear youre feeling better after the energy sapping slog back to the car. We've headed down to the Masonic carpark today a little to the west of the skate park. Much easier walk, free parking and the weather's looking a little better for fishing too so fingers crossed, although not had anything yet lol

Good effort mate did warn you about those tides but you know that the other thing bigger tides do is slow the straps down they love a need hare a decent run but you had yer bream so happy days ma Bute 👍👍👍
Eeeee never ferkin listens

Good effort mate did warn you about those tides but you know that the other thing bigger tides do is slow the straps down they love a need hare a decent run but you had yer bream so happy days ma Bute 👍👍👍
Cheers mate, yep wasn’t expecting too much after you said about the tides but it was the only window we had really.

I think next time I will hold out for a better time, even if it means waiting a week or two.
I was close to calling it off as had a lot on last week but did want to get out and my mate was keen, so made the best of it.

Nice one Tony, lots of effort for little reward, but at least you are giving it a go, health problems and all. Keep it up mate. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back