• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast I had the urge at 2:15am

CKB

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
IMG_1357.jpegIMG_1369.jpegIMG_1371.jpegIMG_1382.jpegIMG_1384.jpegIMG_1390.jpegIMG_1395.jpegIMG_1409.jpegIMG_1415.jpeg

Restless, I headed out in the small hours with the squid jigs and metals. 45mph winds and driving rain made it very unpleasant at times, and I quickly got very bored of catching scad, which were everywhere. I saw a shoal of 10-15 fish following the harbour wall, and I was inclined to think they looked like gilts, as opposed to mullet, but I could be wrong. They were gone before I could redeploy my 12g jig. I lost a cuttle initially and kept trying in the vicinity, until I got my first one up. Then the squid started to feed, including one bigger one which was fun trying to play in the net. I also
Managed a bit of a lump of a cuttle. Final tally was 2 cuttle and 9 squid (one after I’d packed the rest in the bucket for the walk back).
It’s definitely would be a little eerie for some, walking down that hill looking out for falling tree branches and being stood alone on the end of that harbour, but it’s just so addictive. I feel very lucky to have it ten minutes from my door. Its always tough to leave.

PS Vacuum packers are incredible. Not sure how I got by without mine. Still itching to try that WaterWolf.

Good effort Chris👍 What's that lure you're using there? I've just got home from having a bash at my local bass mark over 1st light. Nothing special to report, but I just had to have a go as I feel the lure fishing season is rapidly slipping away with this distinct change in weather. Off to Portugal on a recce and fact finding mission in a few hours, roll on some heat and sunshine 😊

The Squid Paddletail from Fiiish. They sink a bit quicker than my conventional jigs, and that certainly is an advantage when windier.

Hopefully you get some of those Grant Woodgate bass in Portugal. 🤞

I hear you on that. Its our best time from now until the end of November for many species. I am conscious that I am off to the USA for 3 weeks. Wondering if I should stop being a lazy boy and be bassing. Or get out for some eels and huss. Maybe even a tope. I never chase mullet, they must be here now. Maybe bream next.

Good haul of Squid and Cuttles Chris. They'd be going in the freezer for bait - I could never face eating such things! 🎣🎣👍👍

Good effort Chris👍 What's that lure you're using there? I've just got home from having a bash at my local bass mark over 1st light. Nothing special to report, but I just had to have a go as I feel the lure fishing season is rapidly slipping away with this distinct change in weather. Off to Portugal on a recce and fact finding mission in a few hours, roll on some heat and sunshine 😊
Where in Portugal?

View attachment 71295View attachment 71296View attachment 71297View attachment 71298View attachment 71299View attachment 71300View attachment 71301View attachment 71302View attachment 71303

Restless, I headed out in the small hours with the squid jigs and metals. 45mph winds and driving rain made it very unpleasant at times, and I quickly got very bored of catching scad, which were everywhere. I saw a shoal of 10-15 fish following the harbour wall, and I was inclined to think they looked like gilts, as opposed to mullet, but I could be wrong. They were gone before I could redeploy my 12g jig. I lost a cuttle initially and kept trying in the vicinity, until I got my first one up. Then the squid started to feed, including one bigger one which was fun trying to play in the net. I also
Managed a bit of a lump of a cuttle. Final tally was 2 cuttle and 9 squid (one after I’d packed the rest in the bucket for the walk back).
It’s definitely would be a little eerie for some, walking down that hill looking out for falling tree branches and being stood alone on the end of that harbour, but it’s just so addictive. I feel very lucky to have it ten minutes from my door. Its always tough to leave.

PS Vacuum packers are incredible. Not sure how I got by without mine. Still itching to try that WaterWolf.
Great Stuff. You are lucky. I'd love to find some squid locally

Vilamoura to start with but it's going to be a whistle-stop tour as I've a fair few boxes to tick
Enjoy it. Only fished down that once well a few times but one visit and not for bass. Fished the west coast a bit though. Don't discount the rivers if the swell is up.

The Squid Paddletail from Fiiish. They sink a bit quicker than my conventional jigs, and that certainly is an advantage when windier.

Hopefully you get some of those Grant Woodgate bass in Portugal. 🤞

I hear you on that. Its our best time from now until the end of November for many species. I am conscious that I am off to the USA for 3 weeks. Wondering if I should stop being a lazy boy and be bassing. Or get out for some eels and huss. Maybe even a tope. I never chase mullet, they must be here now. Maybe bream next.
You are very lucky to have all those options. Probably another month to fish here in the SE before the ting and dogfish take over.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back