• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Garmin plotter - fishfinder question

Skutter

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Considering an upgrade - have an old Garmin fish finder - (must be nearly 20 years old) on the boat I recently bought. It works but doesn't have a plotter.

A trip out on a mates boat where we started out in thick fog and then when drifting over a sandbank for flatties my mate could take us back to the exact spot where we started landing the bigger fish each time has convinced me a plotter and probably ability to have maps is a good idea.

Considering A Garmin Echomap UHD2 but being quite new to this game I don't really know what the difference is with the transducers eg gt24 vs gt56 except prices.

Trying to go through YouTube videos on the subject but all the videos seem very American and lake / bass fishing based.

Any info / advice much appreciated.

Not sure I'm the most knowledgable to reply. But as you've not had other replies so far here goes.

I 'think' the Garmin UHD2 comes in different models. Some (more expensive ) have side view so you can 'see' underwater structures to the sides. The cheaper models just have the 'down' view. The GT56 transducer has the side view where as the GT24 doesn't support it. Therefore match the transducer to the unit you're buying.

I'm happy to be corrected by the more informed forum members on these matters. Hopefully someone can confirm or refute my thoughts.

Have spoken to the guys in the local tackle shop as well as friends who have fish finders and it seems quite personal choice.
The guys in the tackle shop are basically of the mind of buy the biggest and best you can afford. They have owned several different makes and currently both use Garmins and have they different thoughts on side view.

The guy I bough my boat off has the small 4" Garmin echomap but he uses it just as depth finder and plotter if he needs to - he doesn't like fish finders too much - says you spend more time looking at a screen than just enjoying being out on the water, but a plotter is must have for finding marks and getting back safe if the visibility turns bad.

IM not sure if I will even use side view - Im sure if I have it I will use it. And it's a fair enough difference in price to consider going with out. But considering the echo locator I have is from 2006, and has no plotter, it's not going to be difficult to get something better.

To be honest the whole subject of angling sonar is a minefield with much of the information being concentrated on the biggest market - US freshwater black bass fishing, where the pros will have multiple units and screens on their boats. I chat to one MLF bass pro angler and he has $80,000 worth on one of his tournament boats! Side vision (and the reultant ability to display in 3D) are very useful for me as I'm in shallow waters. I use my set up of gps and bathymapping to navigate tricky waters subject to big 10m plus tidal range. I use the sonar to find features rather than specifically hunt fish. Many charter skippers insist on turning off sonar when sitting on the fish, particularly cod species, as they believe the ping is detrimental to catches. My best advice is to buy a mid priced unit that has the functions you need and learn to use it fully rather than just relying on the factory default settings. We spend enough time staring at screens as it is😉

Ive just ordered a heavily reduced the Garmin uhd9sv with the GT56 transducer - It cost a bit more than the 7cv models but figure why not try side view and a bigger screen is always good and ive yet to find much in the way of negative reviews, and has the options to add upgrade to things like a gps trolling motor and live scope should one feel inclined, Probably much more tech than I need.

Hopefully will get it installed and tested on the water soon.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back